Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Frankfurt airport automated border control trials

14 posts in this topic

BTW, has anyone else tried out the automated passport controls at Frankfurt? The only thing that annoys me is that since I registered to use it, the passport control area has been empty on my last three trips... i was reallt looking forward to sauntering past long queues to the automated barriers.

jq, do you mean the automated check in desks for BA? If so, yes I have used these both at Frankfurt and Gatwick. They were great at both airports...oooh how lovely just to wander past those loooooong queues! :D Added to the fact that you can check-in online with BA from 12 hrs before yr flight is also a bonus. I choose my seat before I even leave the house, all at no extra cost! The automated check in just spits my boarding card out to me! I love it!

I use the autmomatic check in but haven't noticed the automatic passport control. Where is it jg? And how does it work? Sounds like a good idea.

Well i'm off to blighty tommorow & going with Lufthansa, so guess that means we will leave on time from a nice close gate & arrive at one miles away & probably have to sit on the tarmac at heathrow for ages :P

Wish I had everyones address, I could send you all some Yarmouth Bloaters via 2nd class mail...yum they do smell so luverly :P

Will think of everyone while eating my fish n chips, sausage rolls, real breakfast, pork pies.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get a steak n kidney pie back here in one piece!! :unsure: My favourite beertender wants one, fresh & not in a tin. :o

Sue

I meant the Automated Border Control trial being run by the BGS...

http://www.bundesgrenzschutz.de/Auto_borde...trols/index.php

It is indeed the retina scan thingy... The BGS get you to stand in front of a little box on the wall and make several scans of your eyes into their database and they scan your passport. You sign something to say you don't mind them keeping the data for this purpose only.

You can then go through automated barriers and get scanned again - if all goes well, you get through without queuing.

I like the automated check in too. The Lufthansa ones never seem to have any queus and you can even check-in your luggage.

Ciao

JG

Might try that tommorow if I have time, JG how long does it take to register?

I just tried to check in for my flight but..too early, whatevere did we do before the internet :o

Well 1.5 hrs to go...why is it that time is draggin so slowly :( Maybe if I actually did some work it might go quicker :P )

You have to go to the little BGS office in Hall A of Terminal 1. When I went there, there was nobody else there and the whole thing took about 5 minutes. They BGS guy even spoke English.

I did the registration after Check-In, just before going through security and the long walk to my gate...

Ciao

JG

The last time I flew from Frankfurt Airport they frisked my feet! :doh: Thank goodness I had clean socks on, but what a job! They also made me remove the tiny little neckerchief I had round my neck. I was waiting for the rubber gloves to come out - luckily they did it to everyone so I didn't feel too embarrassed.

The other problem there is that once you have gone through the 3 x check points and to the boarding gate there is nothing to drink or do. I fly from Köln/Bonn airport now. Much nicer and much cheaper!

They did that to me too! They took me to one side and was asked to take my boots off and put them through the x-ray machine. At both security gates I was 'beeped' and frisked...I told them it was my bra! Next time I'll take it off! On 2nd thoughts, maybe not... :blink:

I told them it was my bra! Next time I'll take it off! On 2nd thoughts, maybe not... blink.gif

No you had better not, unleashing 'weapons of mass destruction' in the airport could get you into trouble... :D

No you had better not, unleashing 'weapons of mass destruction' in the airport could get you into trouble

:lol:

LRHH - Maybe airport security is a good place for a foot fetishist to work... :-)

What I find annoying at the airport security checks is when, having stood in a queue for over 5 minutes, watching people empty their pockets of coins, mobile phones, etc., some people still wait until asked to do the same... "Oh - you mean I should not have any metal on me when I walk through the metal detector?"

Ciao

JG

Didn't have time to register for the retina scan thing, so maybe next time, passport control didn't take long anyway.

"Oh - you mean I should not have any metal on me when I walk through the metal detector?"

The couple in front in me did just that <_< And why do people wait until they are at the passport counter, to then dig through all their belongings to find their passports :blink: Must be the same people that are in front of you at the till who have to dig to the bottom of their shopping to get their purses <_<