"Proof of legal status" for Chinese visa

14 posts in this topic

I'm a non-German EU citizen living in Germany and need to apply for a Chinese visa.  According to the PRC's visa processing facility in Frankfurt:

If you are not applying for a visa in the country of your citizenship, you must provide the original and photocopy of your valid certificates of residence, employment or student status, or other valid certificates of legal stay provided by the relevant authorities of the country where the Visa Centre is located.

Does anyone know what sort of "certificate of residence" will satisfy them?  I have the Amtliche Meldebestätigung für die Anmeldung issued by my city; will this be enough?  If it's really necessary I could go get a Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung as well, but since obtaining that would cost me time and money, I'd rather not.

Obviously, as a EU citizen you need Meldebestätigung and that will be it. However, you are dealing with non-Rechtstaat country which can require some other absurd documents.

Good luck!

Isn't "certificate of residence" another way of saying Meldebestätigung?

​It might or might not be; that's why I'm asking here.  I'm hoping someone in my situation has already gone through the process and can say for sure what sort of documents were accepted.

FWIW, the German version of the same page on the visa site doesn't specifically refer to Meldebestätigungen, but rather uses the term "Aufenthaltsdokumente":

Wenn Sie ein Visum in einem Land beantragen, dessen Staatsangehöriger Sie nicht sind, müssen Sie Original und Kopie entsprechend gültiger Aufenthaltsdokumente, eine Arbeits- oder Studienerlaubnis oder andere gültige Unterlagen vorlegen, die von den jeweils zuständigen Behörden des Landes, in dem sich das Center befindet, ausgestellt wurden und den Antragsteller zu einem Aufenthalt berechtigen.

It is Meldebestätigung.

By the way, for non-EU folks having German visa - you don't need it if you have a German residence permit with your address on it.

Source: personal experience (in Munich though)

Be careful! The Chinese Embassy here was atrocious and instead of the Meldebestätigung (in case of a student entry visa), wanted a German visa for 2 years or a letter from the Auslanderbehorde notifying that your visa is indeed up. Asking for the rather will get you thrown out of the building.

My favorite experience with the Chinese Embassy was watching one of their employees yell at a German Bundestag member to leave the building to make a copy and also to notify her that they would lock her out from coming back into the building (the one dealing with my application just casually walked to the copy machine behind him and made a copy for me).

I guess I am not so lucky with Bureaucrats.

When I've applied for various Visa's in Germany as a UK citizen then often I find that my residence permit is enough "Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts"

Sometimes I've had them ask for my Meldebestätigung.  But I try to avoid this as it costs money each time to get it issued (although if it is for work then I can of course charge this back) and takes time to go to the city office to get it.

So if you want to be sure, then send them both.

A lot of consulates only issue visas to citizens or residents of that country.

India, Russia & China in particular. Your Meldebestätigung demonstrates you're a resident. If your Meldebestätigung is quite new because you moved, bring an older one too. They won't accept you as resident if you just anmelded  few weeks ago.

EDIT Isn't Meldebestätigung the form you get back from visiting the Meldestelle? It cost's nothing assuming you don't lose it.

I don't quite understand this:

When I've applied for various Visa's in Germany as a UK citizen then often I find that my residence permit is enough "Bescheinigung des Daueraufenthalts"

​As a UK citizen myself there is no residence permit when living in Germany (that went out 20+ years ago).

They wanted from me my Meldebestätigung and my Aufenthaltserlaubis (I'm non-EU). As they wanted me to have a really long time left on the Aufenthaltserlaubis after my return from Germany, I in the end needed to do the whole bloody thing by friends and post via the embassy at home. I know that colleagues who work in China often use this travel agent (http://www.chinatravelservice.de/) to apply for the visas.

I'm also applying for a Chinese visa and am using a visa service: http://visumcentrale.de/

I'm a Blue Card holder (never managed to get around to writing the language exam to get NE largely due to indecision), I won't have two years on my visa.  I hope being a Canadian suffices for it.  The visa service that is supposed to review the documents didn't seem to object. 

The last residence permit I got was in 2000, so not quite as long as 20 years ago.

I don't quite understand this:

​As a UK citizen myself there is no residence permit when living in Germany (that went out 20+ years ago).

Well mine is from 2007, when it was changed to an unlimited one!

Well, I'm back from the visa processing centre and successfully collected my visa.  When I dropped off my application last week they didn't even want to see any proof of residence or employment—all they wanted was my passport, the signed application, and my flight and hotel bookings.