Zerzabelshof or Gostenhof -- good for families / schools?

4 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to get some feedback on whether a couple of neighbourhoods in Nürnberg are suitable for a family.  My husband, five-year-old daughter, and I will be moving to Germany for a sabbatical year.  My husband will be affiliated with the Uni in Würzburg, as the FAU no longer has a faculty for his specialty.  We had most things set up in Würzburg with the help of the university (school, vacation camp to immerse my daughter), but we've been unable to find anyone there willing to rent to a family of three foreigners (although with decent German) for only a year.  

There seems to be more in Nürnberg, so we're now looking for an apartment there.  We've found a couple of possibilities:  one is in Gostenhof and another is in Zerzabelshof.  I don't know Nürnberg very well, so it's hard for me to tell if those are decent neighbourhoods.  We need to be in a decent school district, and one with a Sprachförderunterricht if at all possible (I'd prefer that to an Übergangsklasse, since there'd be less upheaval for my daughter over the year; the Uni also recommended it -- of course, who knows what the Schulamt will say).  We also need to be close to an U-Bahn line into the train station, since my husband would be commuting almost every day, and we won't have a car.  

From reading the forum here and googling, the best I've been able to find is that anything south of the train station is run-down (so probably the schools & playgrounds are a mixed bag -- on the other hand, they probably have lots of Sprachförderunterricht), and Gostenhof is apparently considered a "hip" area (although looking at the street through Google Street View it seems hip in the way of having a number of graffiti-ed, derelict buildings, so maybe more like Gastown here in Vancouver, where I'd be happy to shop or eat but not to live with a family).   It seems being on the north side of the Altstadt would be better, but we haven't been able to find a furnished apartment that would take three people up there. Zerzabelshof is officially south of the train station, so I don't know if it's considered downmarket, but on Street View it looks like a nice area -- lots of green space, the zoo, etc.

Any feedback that you have on these specific neighbourhoods would be greatly appreciated!  We're moving in under a month and so we're trying to get everything lined up ASAP -- but also don't want to be stuck in a home we'll hate for a year.

Zerzabelshof is an amazing place. Gostenshof as you saw from images, is downtown.Zerzabelshof  is silent, well connected, close to lakes, parks etc.

Welcome to Zabo. And I know, in the neighborhood, at Pastorius strasse, I know someone who lived in Toronto. Enjoy your stay.