MacBook "Staingate" - Repairs?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I hope this is an appropriate thing to ask here. I have a 7-months-old MacBook Pro that is showing some screen damage. I did nothing but clean it according to Apple's instructions. I did some research and found that this is a defect in recent MacBooks, and disappointed users are calling it Staingate. Here are some links about it:

As you can see, I'm not the only one with this problem. My question for you:

1. Has anyone here encountered this problem?
  2. Has anyone here tried to get this fixed, under warranty, at an Apple Store or reseller in Berlin? What has your experience been like?

I'm currently traveling but I'll take my computer in to the Apple store as soon as I get back to Berlin. I'm worried I'll have additional problems because I bought my Mac in the US. It's still under the one-year warranty but I don't have Apple Care.

Thanks all!

Having bought it in the US you may run into some problems getting it serviced under warranty in Berlin, but of course stop in and ask to be sure. I've had issues with other US bought items needing service or warranty work over here.

I've had no problems with AppleCare usage in Germany.  It specifically says it is a worldwide program.  But not so sure about the basic warranty though. It seems that for non-portable devices that can only work with the power attached (Time Capsule and iMacs?) it is limited but all other devices like Ipads, Iphones and MacBooks should be covered worldwide.

If Apple haven't officially announced a recall program then you're on a hiding to nothing.

My MBP 2011 bricked last January with the GPU failure issue which fortunately Apple soon after started a recall program for. I bought my machine in the UK but was able to go to the Berlin Apple Store to get it checked and sent away for the fix (which took around a week).

Some unlucky customers had bricked machines for over two years before the recall and had to either pay Apple for the repair, go to a third party engineer or buy a new laptop.

I guess it's still worth chancing your arm at the Apple Store, maybe you catch them on your lucky day.

If Apple haven't officially announced a recall program then you're on a hiding to nothing.

My MBP 2011 bricked last January with the GPU failure issue which fortunately Apple soon after started a recall program for. I bought my machine in the UK but was able to go to the Berlin Apple Store to get it checked and sent away for the fix (which took around a week).

Some unlucky customers had bricked machines for over two years before the recall and had to either pay Apple for the repair, go to a third party engineer or buy a new laptop.

I guess it's still worth chancing your arm at the Apple Store, maybe you catch them on your lucky day.

​I had the same problem with my early 2011 MBP 15". I waited a year for Apple to recall. Nothing. I hired a local engineer to do something, he couldn't. But tampered in that process. 3 months later, Apple started the recall. FML. :angry: I have trust issues with Apple since then. I later spent 350€ and got the problem solved by another Apple engineer.