Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Strongly considering moving to Bremen

4 posts in this topic

My husband is from Bremen Germany & I from New Orleans, La although we currently live in Canada. We have been together for 20 years and he has a large family in Bremen. He would like for us to move to Bremen so he can be closer to family. 

I really struggle with language. We have been together for over 20 years and I still can not speak German. I need a community of English speakers so I won't feel completely isolated. I will of course again attempt to learn the language but at 56 I'm not holding my breath. 

I would love to meet some other English speakers on here in hopes of making this transition as easy as possible. 

Advice anything welcome

Damien Callicott

Hallo Damien,

I am Ahmad from India hand currently studyng in Bremen. I am also looking for someone to practice German as I have finished an advanced course in German but cant speak well. it would be great if we meet and converse in German as well as English so that our German gets better. If u r interested tell me when u will be coming so that we may join and meet up .  

Thanks

Ahmad

Damien,

hi.  I am from California and I moved here with my family a couple of years ago.  I am starting German intensive course a1 soon at the volkschule downtown.  It is cheap and meets three days a week.   I would love to know someone I could meet up for the course.  Not sure if you are here in Bremen with your husband yet.

you can message me here if you want... Monika

I really struggle with language. We have been together for over 20 years and I still can not speak German. I need a community of English speakers so I won't feel completely isolated. I will of course again attempt to learn the language but at 56 I'm not holding my breath.

I wouldn't worry too much about the language, but accept that after moving here it's going to take many years to develop this. I have picked up almost no German language from my German wife and am not at all surprised that you haven't picked up German from your German husband. Unless he refuses to speak anything but German to you (at least for significant durations of time) there's little chance for your brain to pick up on it.

My only advice would be to take the plunge, be prepared for your language development to move slowly in the first couple of years but take courses (cheap and good way of meeting people) and get involved in clubs, and see how it goes. Not knowing about either of your professions or flexibility this next comment might be misplaced, but I'd recommend you both discuss a fall-back solution in case you give it your best shot and just can't get well placed over here. It could be a strain on your relationship to see how easily he adapts to being back home (old friends, relatives, easily made new friends etc.) while you're moving at a snails pace. It's down to your personality how you deal with this.

Good luck to you. My in-laws are all based close to Bremen so I'll be living there too some time in the future.