Life in Darmstadt vs. Frankfurt

59 posts in this topic

LouiseB good luck with your move and the commute. It has killed my husband for 3 years and now we moved to Darmstadt it is now slowly starting to finish me off.

I have to agree with Swimmer, there is no end of things to in Darmstadt, I haven't had time to do most of them in the three months I have been here. There are plenty of places to go and believe me if you do want a Frankfurt social life that is still possible, only a short train ride away.

I am a person and would happily coordinate/come to evening activities in Darmstadt, but you never asked. Sometimes you have to make the social life for yourself, I know I have done in the past.

I also find life so much easier in Darmstadt, everything is much more convenient. On Saturday my husband and I did our food shopping in 3 different supermarkets in under an hour, that would not be possible in Frankfurt it would take that time to get to the shop and back!

Moving to Darmstadt has been the best decision I have made in a long time. I lived in Frankfurt for almost 11 years and thought I loved it, but I think I like it even more here.

Well it really depends what you like. If you like a lot of hussel & bussel Frankfurt is I guess the place.

My wife and I moved to the outskirts of Darmstadt three years ago from Ontario Canada. We enjoy it very much that it is nice and quiet, and you do not hear very much the jet airliners that are starting & landing in Frankfurt. As nothing is more annoying when during the summer you can not open the windows, because the jets are so loud. Also with the tram and train connections you are fairly fast in Frankfurt, and also very fast on the autobahn. So one is not really missing out on anything. If we want "city-life" we drive into Frankfurt, if we want to enjoy a more laid back pace we stay here in the Darmstadt area.

It really depends what you prefer big city life with all its facettes or more a country life with the option of being in the city in a short time.

We never regretted moving to Griesheim, and that where my wife has to commute every day to the Frankfurt airport.

Interesting responses...Purple Muffin, you are right about being pro-active, and I have met some people here but I still feel that something is missing. I have lived/travelled abroad before and managed to meet people/make friends so I don't think I am completely socially inept :) And Swimmer, I agree that my timing probably isn't great either - will be interesting to see what this place is like in summer, even if I am only likely to see it on the odd night out after work! I do think some of the previous comments about Darmstadt have been unfair, someone said it was a 'shithole' which is not the case at all, it is clean and very safe, and being able to just get one tram to work instead of three different methods of public transport, which is what I will be doing from Frankfurt, has been a nice change. But the novelty has worn off. Or maybe culture shock or homesickness has kicked in and I am being bloody minded or impatient? Either way I am going to go with my instincts on this one... I met up with a friend in Frankfurt a couple of Fridays ago and it made me realise even more how much I'm craving the energy and buzz of a big city. I can see the appeal of Darmstadt, it just isn't for me.

Yes, I understand, soon after your post, I met a young guy (not Brit) who said much the same. I thought of you - why can't I match you all up ;) ?

But I said the same as to you. He also seemed to be at a loss without work colleagues to provide a social life on a plate for him (and he has some German). But he really just has to get "out there". I think you have to make a commitment to "live" and engage (When I lived the consultant / worker life in other places that were not dissimilar, I found it hard and never really integrated, but now I see it was the way I was living and my lack of language, it was not any of the places).

Like last night I was at a loose end, so I just wandered into town, went to one of those cafes I mentioned, familiar faces were there, so just hung out all evening, chatting, eating, watching TV, read the papers, very cool and very easy :) . But I can only do that because I put the work in to build the networks (and can speak German). And possibly as I am not a "worker" so my social contact out of hours ios easier and I have the energy for it.

If there is anything you particularly want to find here, like a hobby or interest or something, then let us know, someone will be able to tell you.

Its all happening in Darmstadt - The German National Gliding Conference is being held in Darmstadt on 29th October this year at Darmstadtium. Open to the public. Internal meetings the day before (I guess I'll be there). Connected with 100 years gliding in Germany & some similar jubilee in Hessen.

Goodness, HEM, you must PM me if you have some free time, happy to show you round :) .

Actually that example of what I did yesterday is probably typical. As indeed is the presence of a gliding symposium - men's technical stuff ;) .

As a science and business hub, DA tends to attract capable, autonomous, left-brain types, many with good inter-personal skills and multi-lingual. Very self-reliant, and not very needy by the standards of most people, in other words. And I also know a lot of us think about this a lot - how to balance our innate need for autonomy and stimulation and change with long-term relationships.

Many people behave exactly as I did yesterday. Just go out and find stuff because, if we don't, we are happy in ourselves. (And of course the guys I came across last night were doing exactly the same as me). What's more, in a small place, there is no need to arrange stuff. We just go "I'm going there, come along if you like" in what we know is a very communal place, so no matter if they don't. We "push", we don't "pull".

Another consequence is that it is extremely egalitarian. The shops guys, the waiters, the senior execs, the scientists, the performers, the unemployed, the students, the entrepeneurs. All will be your mates. (Assuming you can talk to them in German.) And for the ladies of your age, there is a vast surplus of men. A single female's value in the market is high here.

I was not having a go...just being realistic. In a technology city, you learn this is how it works, just the way it still is :) . Even the nine year old boys I know here can build electronic circuits and radios, and tell me how an engine works. (The girls tend not to be able to!). The waiters - even serving food is a bloke's job here - are all engineering students. And so on. At the weekends I can feel like I'm about the only woman in the city.

Well, I hope some of them (the women) come. If it is public, then I can take a look if I have time.

Hello all,

My work takes me to Darmstadt and I have a big family, do you know how I can rent a house/apartment (3 bedrooms) for say 2-3 months in Darmstadt? What should I look out for and/avoid? I don't mind to live in Frankfurt either and commute.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Well renting a house in Darmstadt can get rather pricey, my wife and I are renting a house in Griesheim

which is just to the west of Darmstadt, has a good connection with the tram lines 9 & 4 and there we are paying over

a 1000€ a month, directly in Darmstadt you can recon with even more. An apartment say at around 100sq/m you can get for around

700€ a month, but you will have to do a bit of foot work as the landlords do like to decide themselves who they let to.

That means even if you find an apartment to your liking there is no garantie you will get it, as usually several people

are interested. If you look at the small villages on the outskirts of Darmstadt, although they all belong to Darmstadt

there prices are usually a bit more reasonable. Check here in the adds especially Fridays and Saturdays where most

adds are in the Darmstädter Echo http://www.echo-online.de/

Hope that helps a bit?

The short-term bit can be a bit of a killer in what is a long-term rental market. I'd start with whoever is employing you, see if anyone there has anything (ie relocation agent). Griesheim is a growing place, where a lot of young families priced out of the centre tend to end up, particularly professionals working in west Darmstadt, with the result that it too is edging up to city prices.

It's a good possibility and one that does not appear in "Darmstadt" searches because it is not part of the city in administrative terms (rather Darmstadt-Dieberg) unlike some Darmstadt districts that are at least as far away (eg. DA-Eberstadt). Nieder/Ober-Ramstadt is another close area the professional types are looking to at the moment because it is more affordable and Pfungstadt is another.

Yes short term can be a problem, but if it is only short term what might be of interest is the hotel Prinz Heinrich, there is one directly in Darmstadt and one in Griesheim. It is both a hotel and a kind of boarding house, meaning you can rent short term a complete apartment. We stayed in the one in Griesheim as we where looking for a place to rent. We paided for a 100sq/m apartment fully furnished, with cleaning service for one month 1300€

Thank you Swimmer and CountryBumpkin for the replies. The idea of hotel Prinz Heinrich seems reasonable. This 100aq/m apartment had a couple of bedrooms CountryBumpkin?

Thank you for the help. I also shall check out the website.

Well the apartment we rented at the Hotel Prinz Heinrich had one bedroom, a living room, a bathroom, and a small kitchen.

But best check what rooms they have available. As we where there we where lucky to get an apartment as they where fairly full.

Hi everyone! Any updates on this debate? 

My husband, son (1year old) and I will be moving to the area this summer and are wondering where to live. 

On one hand I'm a city person myself, but am wondering if we wouldn't get more of a social life in a smaller town now that we have a baby. Also worried about the Kita choices available in either places... Any input on these points? Thank you!!! 

On 3/24/2017, 3:22:19, maryrod13 said:

Hi everyone! Any updates on this debate? 

My husband, son (1year old) and I will be moving to the area this summer and are wondering where to live. 

On one hand I'm a city person myself, but am wondering if we wouldn't get more of a social life in a smaller town now that we have a baby. Also worried about the Kita choices available in either places... Any input on these points? Thank you!!! 

I live in Heppenheim which is near by. My wife is from here and its a wonderful little town. Not too small that I would call it a village but not too big that you need a car to get around, maybe 26,000 people live here. Any place on the Bergstrasse is nice (Bensheim or Heppenheim or anywhere around there). We have a 2 year old and find there are many parks and things to do for families and for the little one. Plus its central to major shopping in Mannheim or Heidelberg.

Concerning Fra vs Da: I would prefer Darmstadt. Da is large enough to be called a real town, meaning in the city center you will find everything you need.

And it's not too large. There is just too much traffic in Fra. Every day 350000 people commute to Frankfurt, only beaten by Munich with 355000 commuters.

Munich is much larger than Frankfurt.

If you think 150000 people in your neighbourhood is not enough for a "city person" you can hop on a train and go to Frankfurt to enjoy the proximity of 730000 (+350000 commuter).