Fines and points for speeding offences

176 posts in this topic

I had to follow my husband today so he could drop off his car for a service and I could take him to work. As we were going along we both got zapped by one of those roadside speed cameras that look like a camera tripod, hard to spot at 6 o'clock in the morning too! We were both doing 60 in a 50 and have no problems with that, except for the fine!

So now we have to add a couple of hundred Euros to the price of a Mercedes service. Not a great start to the day. Do you think I will get points??

If you were only doing 60 in a 50 zone according to your speedo, then you certainly won't get any points. In fact by the time you subtract speedo error and the "Toleranz" that the police subtract from the measured value, then the chances are that you won't hear any more about it.

Keep your fingers crossed!

There are occasionally lists of speed camera locations published in local papers (e.g. in Celle, so Sandra and I are well informed), but I think this is a decision of the local police and probably varies from area to area. Whether or not the list is complete is another question!

I got done for doing 90 in an 80 zone after being blitzed on the autobahn, there was no baustelle just heavy traffic. It came through and had to be paid, wasn't a lot though.

I know the ticket arrives in the post for many of these speed cameras. My question is for the speed traps that are manned by 5-6 police officers, with one manning the radar, one flagging down the offending vehicles on the spot, and the others presumably writing up the drivers, does this mean that if they don't actually stop you then you won't receive a ticket by mail? I imagine I was over the speed limit, but they didn't stop me. (They did have other vehicles stopped, however). Should I expect a ticket in the post or do you think this particular speed trap only ticketed the vehicles they pulled over?

If they were all there with a Police VW combi van, then they will stop you and walk you through the paperwork and either you pay cash if it is only a small discression, or they post the stuff away and you get a fine and points in the post later.

I would say that if they didn't stop you then you were within the limit once a Tolerenz has been deducted... lucky fecker :)

They won't pull over if they are "full" as that would make things more dangerous. They will send a ticket in the mail though.

You all do know that there is very simple way of avoiding this law breaking activity that results in fines, wrecks, injured and dead people don't you? :rolleyes:

If it was a Laser Pistol on a Tripod, then you will not get a ticket,

There is no means of recording your details on these devices so the Cops need to stop you on site!

As Eurovol says...

Stick to the limits!

Are they still using the pistols? Everyone that I have seen, and it is almost a daily basis, they are fully fitted with the cameras and the computer screens in the back of the wagon.

Yep.

There is often one in our village..

I also hear reports on the radio where the "Pistol" is deployed

G

We got a rental car last May and got flashed going about 8km over the limit on a downhill slope. The ticket finally arrived about 6 weeks later and it was 15 euros. No points, just the fine. I figured it cost them more than 15 euros just to track us down and mail it.

If you are doing less than 20kph over the limit, after the tolerance, which is I believe 3kph, you will only get a fine and no points. They do fine you just for small amounts over the limit though, I've been done for doing 6kph too much.

it was 15 euros. No points, just the fine. I figured it cost them more than 15 euros just to track us down and mail it.

Well, they're never going to make a profit then, are they? Stupid police.

My question is for the speed traps that are manned by 5-6 police officers, with one manning the radar, one flagging down the offending vehicles on the spot, and the others presumably writing up the drivers, does this mean that if they don't actually stop you then you won't receive a ticket by mail?

Surry, no. Happened to me and I thought I was okay (in fact I didn't realise I was speeding because I hadn't seen the 30 limit sign). The ticket arrived by post about a month later.

you can calculate the fine online here you´ll need to enter if you sped in a built up area or not. the fine will arrive in the mail in a few weeks and you can contest it if you want.

here in Munich some radio stations inform where the police are checking speeds but it´s best just to watch the speed limits!

Hi Nicole,

No, you won't get points and you won't have to pay hundreds of euros either. The tickets will be posted to you - you should get them in acouple of weeks - but pay quickly, because they keep on adding charges every time they have to send you another reminder. I guess it will be €25 to €30 for each - but I think I heard that they're putting the fines up a bit.

I don't know if the police release info as to where their blitzers are - can't believe they would - it's a great money-spinner for them! People usually phone the radio stations to report "blitzer sightings" though.

Cheers, Usisi

Usisi,

I would think Nicole has received and paid her fine by now as the post was in 2004 :rolleyes:

Anyway isn't it a rule of thumb that the lower the speed limit the higher the fine.