Shoplifting, and video surveillance in the dressing room

120 posts in this topic

Hi, im looking for some information about shoplifting.

1) in some countries it is illegal to have video surveillance in the dressing room, is that the case in germany?

2) can someone be charged with shoplifting after leaving a shop(as in going home)?

Hello ohcrap!

1) Don´t know

2)  Leaving a shop as in going home? Only if you have taken something with you without paying!

So what have you been up to?

i guess what i meant by leaving is... if you were to leave a shop with an item unpaid and no one stopped you, can you be charged later

i guess what i meant by leaving is... if you were to leave a shop with an item unpaid and no one stopped you, can you be charged later

May depend on whether it was intentional..absent-mindedness..it can happen but was that your case?

lol no... i mean can someone be charged with theft after leaving the shop with an unpaid item (without being stopped) regardless of case or intention

lol no... i mean can someone be charged with theft after leaving the shop with an unpaid item (without being stopped) regardless of case or intention

​in some places you cant be charged after leaving the premises

im not talking about morality... im talking about legality. does anyone know of the actual laws regarding this? im having a bit of trouble finding it online

§ 242 StGB (Strafgesetzbuch)  is the relevant paragraph of the criminal code.

And whether you steal electricity from a provider or leave a shop without paying for an item-- theft. What's so hard to understand there ?

Do you think that once you left the Rolls Royce Showroom with the newest model car without paying for this car is yours and Rolls Royce can do nothing about t ?

im not having trouble understanding what theft is. and i havent stolen a rolls royce, electricity or anything for that matter. im having trouble finding the specifics about this particular scenario. 

as i said before, in some places you cannot be charged after leaving the store premises unstopped. i need information for mock trial and am completely at a loss

Why do you insist that there must be a specific law ? There isn't one.

Here in Germany everybody can arrest you (and inform the police right away) when you try to run/walk away with an stolen item. (As well as in other cases.) In the street. Outside the shop.

no. i think youll have to reread what i have said there. 

​So what IS the story?

ok scenario: 

Mrs. Jones walks into a dept store, is seen on video taking multiple items into the dressing room. she returns several to the rack and proceeds to the counter with a few items. she purchases her items with a credit card and proceeds to the door. the security alarms go off and her bags are searched and nothing is found. she attempts to leave again and again the alarms sound, her pockets are searched and again, nothing is found. Mrs. Jones leaves the store.

upon closing Mr. Frederick (the store owner) finds that a shirt has gone missing. the only activity that day that seemed suspicious was the alarm going off when Mrs. Jones exited the store.

Can Mr. Frederick file a report against Mrs. Jones?  

No evidence- no case.

The shop owners misses a shirt. That's not enough to prove that Mrs Jones has stolen it. After the security alarms have gone off, several times, the shop owner, however, could have arrested her, call the police and have the police do a body search.