Forum upgrade May 2015, post-upgrade bugs and missing features

185 posts in this topic

okaaay... thanks, small town boy, for showing me exactly what I don't have on my laptop screen - now I'm really feeling left out of the party! :unsure:

That means your laptop screen is so small that it's been categorized as a mobile device, that's why you're only getting the mobile view.  Is it an ebook or something?

Hello Gen, thanks for that info - "the plot thickens..." - I have a bog standard laptop! Quite honestly, I'm glad I've discovered the white star at the top on the right! :D I'll have to be patient and wait for one of my kids to come to the rescue - once again, thanks for all your help!

Middlemarch, have you tried using the Activity Stream from the main menu? That's what I do when I'm on my smartphone, and I don't need to login in to see new posts.

If it is a mobile version you have on your laptop, just select the menu at the top right and then More in the list.

Screenshot_01.thumb.jpg.668823e1293da9d4

Then from the new list select Activity Stream.

Screenshot_02.thumb.jpg.f50abb287590b880

And there's the latest posts...

Screenshot_03.thumb.jpg.d268737e4a9f86ea

I wonder if the Most Users Online notification is gone forever now? (Not that anyone cared about it before.)  :unsure:

When our posts are removed they are not deleted, they are moved to a section we can't see. There is a 'bug' that let us see the title of the thread the moderator gives to our deleted post. So thanks to this post we can see the snarky and offensive words the moderators use to talk about us when they think we can't read what they are writing.

TT is having the worst crisis ever, the DD-fracas was not handled correctly and many people stopped posting. Offending us with your snarky comments does not help. TT is not anymore in the position to treat users like crap, otherwise soon they won't be anyone here.

@Krieg: The posts are renamed precisely to tell the poster why their post was removed. The renamed title is what appears (appeared) in the "Removed Posts" feature as the reason for removal. Hopefully the language is helpful rather than offensive or sarcastic.

the only thing I have to say about the upgrade is I now look at TT once a week instead of every day and mostly can't be bothered opening posts as it doesn't look interesting

TT slowness (very little posts per day) has nothing to do with the update. It was the result of the DD-fracas.

Chris, I'll give you an insider tip.  When reporting bugs, it sometimes helps to describe what the actual problem is so that the developer has a chance of figuring out what it is you want fixed ...

Possibly right (although there are browser emulators out there you would expect a developer to use ... I did)

It is also (in IE11 on windows 8) so messed up where do you really start...

All formatting is wrong which has lead to most buttons for functionality disappearing . (I have to switch to Chrome to be able to read properly or post anything) 

Hope the screen shots help at least prove I'm not making it up!

toytown.gif

toytown2.gif

Chris, I'll give you an insider tip.  When reporting bugs, it sometimes helps to describe what the actual problem is so that the developer has a chance of figuring out what it is you want fixed ...

Possibly right (although there are browser emulators out there you would expect a developer to use ... I did)

It is also (in IE11 on windows 8) so messed up where do you really start...

All formatting is wrong which has lead to most buttons for functionality disappearing . (I have to switch to Chrome to be able to read properly or post anything) 

Hope the screen shots help at least prove I'm not making it up!

Thanks to fuzzytony for the tip!

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Iain & Siobhan and Noel Furlong :(

Where have the entertaining posters gone? (Not all, but the entertainment value of TT has definitely shrunk in recent weeks)

Chris999, I'm trying out Internet Explorer 11 (actual version 11.0.9600.17801) just now on Windows 8.1 but I don't seem to have a problem. I'm sorry I don't have any advice to give here, but I'll be surprised if what you're experiencing is a TT/Invision problem.

My screenshot:

IE11.thumb.jpg.69ba576985ca27004e915e1ab

Second screenshot shows no formatting anomalies either. Hmmm. Maybe I'll spend a bit more time on IE later this evening. I'm kinda curious.

TT_02.thumb.jpg.ed13a1977b230758c7018750

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but when I click to view the new posts, it's sometimes unclear which subforums some posts are located in. For example, when there is a post that shows it is in a for sale subforum, it is not clear which city this subforum serves (of course, it tends to be Munich most of the time). Can this be made clear?

Most people don't care about the various personality clashes on TT and it is pretty certain the storm in a teacup that Krieg mentioned  had little to do with the long-term decline in the readability of the forum.

There is a critical mass needed of certain individuals who make things fun. Those people have mostly stopped posting and the forum has lost entertainment value exponentially. My own lack of motivation to post anything other than factual stuff comes from the fact that TT is no longer a  natural home for entertaining content. It has become quite plodding and non-descript in recent times. 

It's a shame really as the alternative (disjointed Facebook ramblings) can never be as good as TT once was. 

​Couldn't agree more.  It's been losing it for a few years now.  Completely lost the banter (I hate to use the word but it's the most appropriate I can think of).  The don rinnas, keydecks etc have all but gone.  Say what you want about SpiderPig and Jeremy but at least they attempt to break up the "plodding and non-descript" stream of threads that TT seems to have become. As far as I remember Jeremy used to fit in round here in his own way but is just constantly negged these days.  It's tiring.  What happened to the virgins, religious nuts and lady's standing in front of café's. Fridays used to be especially fun. I can't really find anywhere to post any more because it all just seems so serious.

I hate to say it, but I at least partially blame the reputation feature.  Since everybody and anybody can click a box but not risk having to actually provide a rebuttal, they can show their dislike of a post (but just as, if not more often, the poster) anonymously and with no risk to themselves.  This has created an atmosphere where posting anything even remotely controversial has become unattractive, since you are treated to a number of the people who hate your post (or you) and, scarcely anyone will post anything in support of what you've just written, also being scared off by the sea of red in which your post now finds itself.  Fluffy happy clappy bullshit is not entertaining, it does not lend itself to scathing or piquant debate, but its proponents do make sure that anything which is not Fluffy Approved gets booed out and shouted off the board.  Certain members here were known and mostly loved for their righteous snark; the rep system has ensured that they are booed off by people who wouldn't actually dare make an argument in public against them.  I liked the rep feature when it was first introduced, but I think it's led to a general, overall increase in the use of caution when posting, and that hardly ever contributed to an entertaining, lively read or discussion.  IMO.

The forum had also been, also IMO, (much too) harshly moderated, for years.  The rigidity with which it had been moderated has been loosening for a while, and may continue to relax.  Time will tell if that makes any difference.