Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hospitation at Klinikum Großhadern

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am a medical student, currently in my 5th year and I just got accepted to make a non-paid practice at Klinikum Großhadern this summer. The Klinikum's secretary referred at it as "Hospitation". Could anybody please tell me, what does a hospitant do? Will I do stuff (e.g. take blood), or I will just observe? Also, when I sent my practice application, I mentioned that after I finish Uni, I am interested in working in Germany. Could this be an accommodation/adaptation period? 

Thank you! :)

hospitation is a praktikum for doctors. if i remember well, formally you are not allowed to do medical acts and you should only observe and do things under the direct supervision of a doctor. In practice, a lot depends on what the klinik and the people there are like. some kliniks are relaxed about that and if they see you have experience, they will let yu exercise more initiative. others wont. On the first day you will be told what to expect. in any case, all that is unofficial, medical acts are performed by fully approbiert doctors who also have the responsibility for them. Some patients feel uneasywhen a student performs something on them.

Many hospitals provide free accommodation in a dormitory for the duration of the hospitation.

Having done a hspitation will distinguish you from other foreign applicants who havent. however german graduates spend the last year of their studies doing a structured praktisches jahr. so u wont be on par with them.

It certainly cannot harm. Putting this alone in your resume will bring you ahead of students who spent their summer on the beach, assuming similar grades/skills. Plus - you will likely get free (or symbolic-price accommodation) for the duration of your stay - so a chance to live  in Munich, get a taste of it, see if you'd like it (in a day-to-day life as opposed to a holiday when everything is rosy).

For what I know, there's a significant crisis of MDs here, so chances to move here are realistic. Do keep in mind that very good to excellent German language knowledge (including medical terms, of course) is an absolute must. A friend of mine became a resident MD in psychiatry and they required C2 German - I guess you could get by with C1 for different areas where less interaction with patients is needed (e.g. lab works), but a high level is required nonetheless.

Thank you very much for your answers! I am working on my German too and hopefully in a year and few months, when I finish Uni, I will be at least a C1. I am sure the experience acquired this summer will help a lot. All the best and I am waiting forward for my arrival in Munich!

Strong c1 german is a huge plus any practical experience in a german hospital. Helps to make you stick out of the pile of the other guys who have no experience or have done a quick b2 course. As airwave says u can only gain from this.

Be adviced however (in order to have realistic expectations) that while the media report a shortage of doctors all the time, this shortage is in reality an unbalanced distribution of them. many doctors in the big cities, and no doctors in the countryside, even less doctors interested to become family practitioners and take on private practice in small cities (countryside not attractive to young people, financial risks of self employment, while an oberarzt makes more money as angestellte and so on). there are specialities (like neurology, innere medizin, general surgery) where a good candidate can find good places. However the best places in famed university clinics are almost always covered by people wh studied and did their PJ there, or doctors with many years of experience who are referred to finish their weiterbildung there and are in an unofficial oberarzt track in the hospital they started in. Other more competitive specialities are very hard even for germans to get into and the places u will have to go might not be attractive at all. Also the flood of eastern european doctors makes gaps gradually less than they used to be.

Thank you again for the heads up, you people are very helpful! To be honest, anywhere but here (Bucharest) is better. And it's not only about the salary (an Assistenzarzt gains @ 300E/month and the life is not cheap either), the biggest problem is that everyone in residency is, from what I've heard, extremely selfish and don't want to share from their own experience/teach you much. So here it's kind of impossible to grow, research, etc. The only ok thing is that the school here is still good. We have a tax-budget system and if your grades aren't high enough in one year, the next one you will have to pay the scholarization tax, which makes everyone very competitive. So in conclusion, I don't care if it's a small town or a bigger one, I just want to be in a place where I can do my job, what I like, where I will have the resources to do it and be treated with respect. I was surprised when Großhadern accepted me, it was the only application I had sent by that time (it was the 1st of January and I was sad that my flight to Munich was cancelled, I was supposed to spend the New Year's Eve there... so I said I have to get there asap and started sending e-mails :)). I will forever aim high but I am being realistic and as I said, I will settle for any place where I can do my job right. 

You will surely be able to do your job right, and strong C1 german is a key element in being accepted by patients and colleagues as an equal and not as someone who is there to close gaps.

In germany a lot depends on how the klinik is, how the chefarzt and the Oberärtze are. there is not a uniform standard of contact, you might find some clinics are rather impersonal and indifferent in promoting learning/research and just care to fill the Dienstplan. There are places however where the climate is very good and you will be encouraged to learn and develop your skills. The good thing is that germany is a big country and if you are looking for a speciality that has empty places, there is quite a lot of choice (provided you are realistic and you dont expect Heidelberg as it sounds you are). Before you sign any contracts, ask to be taken as a hospitant for a week. You will have the chance to see what real residents do, how they are treated and assess the situation yourself. Or other people take the approach, I will go wherever they take me for a year to build up a CV and then move on. Usually a medium sized hospital has more relaxed schedule and a less steep earning curve, which will enable you to make mistakes under supervision and learn. In busy city places you will be expected to swim on your own right away.