Fishing in Brandenburg

39 posts in this topic

Threads like this make me realize I'm not built for Europe. Too much policing going around. I used to fish in North America without a license. Don't know if that was legal, but it was not a big deal.

I'm about to get fishing rods for free, then I came into this topic searching for places to fish. And I am amazed with the absurd buroucracy necessary to catch fishes. Courses in German! 30 hours wow! really wow! In my country it is not even necessary to know how to read to buy an yearly fishing license for river.

Does fishing in the Atlantic at the German coast also requires a license?

6 hours ago, AR said:

I'm about to get fishing rods for free, then I came into this topic searching for places to fish. And I am amazed with the absurd buroucracy necessary to catch fishes. Courses in German! 30 hours wow! really wow! In my country it is not even necessary to know how to read to buy an yearly fishing license for river.

Not that I know of, but then that bit's called France.

7 hours ago, AR said:

If it's on the German coast yes.

So it would seem.  I forgot,  you can also get a tourist fishing license in meckpom online. 

9 hours ago, AR said:

If it's on the German coast yes.

Ahem.

I think you mean the North Sea, does the Baltic touch mainland Germany or is that still considered the North Sea up in the northeast?

The Baltic (Ostee) is part of the Atlantic.     And yes it does touch mainland Germany.   But it's not the Nordsee,   which is part of the Altantic Ocean too, of course.  

The German Ostsee coastline is over 2000 km long, and the Nordsee about 1500 km.

12 hours ago, AR said:

I'm about to get fishing rods for free, then I came into this topic searching for places to fish. And I am amazed with the absurd buroucracy necessary to catch fishes.

Welcome to Germany, where we have rules  for many things, including fishing..

Courses in German! 30 hours wow! really wow!

You are in Germany, did you expect the courses to be in Swahili? Brazilian?

In my country it is not even necessary to know how to read to buy an yearly fishing license for river.

You could of course, go and fish there instead. However, you are in Germany, where you will need to know how to read to do the course.

On 2017-4-16 16:10:51, Girlonfire said:

Threads like this make me realize I'm not built for Europe. Too much policing going around. I used to fish in North America without a license. Don't know if that was legal, but it was not a big deal.

Europe has a much higher population density than the US (USA has 33/km^2 compared to 229/km^2 for Germany)  and Germany has very little wilderness area compared to the USA. This may be why more control is needed than in the US. 

Another pointer as to why many North Americans  moan about rules here, With denser population and cities, and less wilderness,  enforcing many regulations helps keep the peace! The rules in both US and Canada with  regard to hunting/fishing are there, but  in many areas not enforced.

BTW- did any Canadians see the news about  bear who wandered into Toronto suburbs? It was over in eastern part, near the Zoo!   Sadly,  police shot the bear.

In Brandenburg, fishing without taking the exam is possible. But, only fishing on non-predatory fish.

For that, you have to get Fischereiabgabemarke  and Angelkarte. First is like allowance papers for fishing in Brandenburg and cost 12e for the whole calendar year and second is an allowance to fish on a specific water and its cost depends on the water itself and you buy it for a day, a week, a month a year... 

Official infos

I am wondering, can you recommend me some good place to go fishing close to Berlin?

People usually tell "Go to Havel", "Go to Kalksee" but those lakes/rivers are huge and I can't fish on all of it.

What I am looking for are some parts of lakes that are accessible for fishing?

I got a recommendation for Caputher Gemunde in Potsdam, but it was a disaster (full of boats).

3 hours ago, paulstep said:

Just for info, I had my papers checked by a bailiff last week here in Sachsen.

Aaand? All good?

Last weekend I was in Kalksee. Beautiful lake.

Tried feeder and float techniques. Just a few fishes.

I am not sure what is the ground type in Kalksee, but by the amount of grass I pulled out with Feeder, I suspect on a highly grassy ground. 

Will try again next weekend to do ground research and will see....

Come to Kanada.    I have fished for 50 years and have never been checked by a  CO  (Conservation Officer).   About 12 in the entire province.   BC is probably the size of Britain.     Lotsa fish and game.    Google Little Scot Lake,  BC.    My favourite hunting and fishing place.   Dave.       little more freedom than in Europe.      Dave the Barbarian.