Fishing in Brandenburg

39 posts in this topic

1. Does anyone know the regulations for fishing in Brandenburg? My German isn't quite good enough to search for it on google. If I had the link to a site I could translate it. 

2. If I get permission to fish on a particular water, are there dates for that or does the permit apply for the entire season?

I appreciate your help!

In all German states, you need a fishing licence to go fishing in open waters, like rivers, pond and rivers, as far as I can tell you can only take the test in German and it is on what how, when and what you are allowed to fish. Once you have fishing licence, you have to get a fishing allowance for a certain area, you can get this for from a day to a whole year. It is often possible to fish in man-made fishing areas without a license, but such places are more expensive than a fishing allowance and you often have to pay for the fish you take with you. 

Thanks for your help!

I asked Angler Joe's a few questions and it seems that one can fish in Brandenburg and Mecklenburg without a license… as a tourist. I assume this is for the season.

One must follow German fishing regulations (they will be different from those in NZ) which is why I am searching for them.

Any recommendations for great fishing spots, particularly for Carp?

In NZ catch and release is standard practice yet I have heard a rumor in Germany one must kill what is caught. This is an example of why it is so necessary to know the German regulations for fishing.

In NZ catch and release is standard practice yet I have heard a rumor in Germany one must kill what is caught. This is an example of why it is so necessary to know the German regulations for fishing.

​I am not so sure about the rules in Brandenburg, but it would be forbidden here to kill everything you have caught, can lead to fines or bans on fishing if you do the wrong thing too often. You may only kill (and take with you) those things which are in season, which have the appropriate size and to a limit of the number of fishes. Here it usually says on the fishing allowance what you can take with you. Here is what they look like around here:

Fischereischein

Thanks for your help!

I asked Angler Joe's a few questions and it seems that one can fish in Brandenburg and Mecklenburg without a license… as a tourist. I assume this is for the season.

One must follow German fishing regulations (they will be different from those in NZ) which is why I am searching for them.

Any recommendations for great fishing spots, particularly for Carp?

​Here's some more info. for you. - http://www.angelschein-machen.com/touristen-angelschein/#english-readers

I've just signed up for a crash course Fischerprüfung in my local area.

​Here's some more info. for you. - http://www.angelschein-machen.com/touristen-angelschein/#english-readers

I've just signed up for a crash course Fischerprüfung in my local area.​

Is the crash course taught in English? Can you give some more details about the club?

And anyone recently took Fischerprüfung in English? Few states do offer Prüfung sprache in English: http://www.lfl.bayern.de/ifi/fischerpruefung/024206/index.php 

I am still looking for a club that will teach Fischereischein-Kurse in Englisch...

I live in Sachsen anhalt... Any help?    

The tourist licence only applies if you are not registered in the region, and it only lasts for 40 days I think.

In order to fish recreationally you need to have passed the Fischerprüfung. Usually the local Angling Clubs make the seminars and organize the exams.
If you are quite experienced and speak with them, they might give you the notes to study yourself (that is what I did, if you have some
knowledge of fishing, a little bit of biology you just need to learn the stuff about the local laws, it took me 2-3 hours and I had an almost perfect score).

The test is in German and I don't think there is an english version, however when I did the test there were 1 teenager with some disability and one who could barely 
speak german and they did the test orally. So it is up to the team that organizes the exams to arrange something like that.

Once you past the test you receive your licence. You should obtain yearly the Fishing sticker from the Bürgeramt (you can buy for 2-3 years in advance). It is around 20 euro and only when you have it you can fish that year.

Ok now you have licence nd paid for the yearly stamp. Where can you fish ?
Most of the lakes and river parts are given to Angling Clubs. If you subscribe to a local one you have access to the VErein's waters.

If you don't want to join a CLub you can only fish at the Free waters if there are any in your Region (f.ex in Hamburg you have most part of Elbe and Alster), or you can buy a day/week/year card for a specific lake.
You can also pay per hour/day and fish at a trout lake.

BE sure you learn the general ruls of fishing in Germany as well as in your region (all these are covered in the Prüfung btw).
F.ex  in Germany you are not allowed to fish with live fish bait as it is considered animal cruelty.

Also for many species there are periods you are not allowed to fish, a minimum size and/or yearly limits.

For Brandenburg (as the OP is form there) these are the limitations :  http://schonzeiten.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/angeln-schonzeiten-mindestmasse-fische-brandenburg.png

Let me help you with the most common fish names here : 
Hecht = Northern Pike, Barsch = Perch, Zander = Zander / European Walleye, Wels/Waller = Catfish, Rapfen = Asp, Karpfen = Carp, Brassen = Silver Bream, LAchs = Salmom, Forelle = Trout, Quappe = Turbot, Schleie = Tench)

That is a quick summary, let me know if you need more detailed information.

Cheers,

Alex

Is the crash course taught in English? Can you give some more details about the club?

And anyone recently took Fischerprüfung in English? Few states do offer Prüfung sprache in English: http://www.lfl.bayern.de/ifi/fischerpruefung/024206/index.php 

I am still looking for a club that will teach Fischereischein-Kurse in Englisch...

I live in Sachsen anhalt... Any help?    

No the crash course is in German.

They do provide a link to the online Fischereischein-prüfung and after a few runs you can see the questions repeating, I am regularly meeting the requirements.

Have a go - http://www.landwirtschaft.sachsen.de/offenepruefung/Pruefung.aspx remember that this is just for Sachsen.

Thanks everyone!!! I . I appreciate the assistance. I will have a read through and hopefully it all becomes clear. 

​It's generally forbidden here. But occasionally a fish will slip out of your hands and land back in the water. Accidents happen.  But if you are stupid and photograph the fish wriggling on the line, you can get busted for animal cruelty.   The fines are pretty steep too.

I'm considering to do a 1 month bike ride from Berlin to the north of Italy this summer. And it would be nice to be able to catch my own food as I go, but I have never fished in fresh water before. Is there a gentle soul out there who would show me the moves? I have no equipment, but it would be awesome to be able to do it with mere string, branch and hook.

Topics merged by admin

Hahaha, not going to happen. Just getting a fishing license and all the required permits for all the waterways

you may fish in between Berlin and Italy will easily put you over 4-5 thousand eur. You want to save cash?

Just buy your food at a cafe, restaurant or store like everyone else, and pack/take it with you.

In all German states, you need a fishing licence to go fishing in open waters like rivers, pond and rivers. AFAIK you can only take the test in German, and it focuses on how, when and what you are allowed to fish. Once you have acquired a fishing license, you have to get a fishing allowance for a certain area. These are available for from a day to a whole year. 

So... unless you plan to fish illegally, your plan is not realistic.

And getting caught fishing without the required paperwork can also set you back a few 1k eur

and a trip/stay to a police station.

Well I sat through the Crash Course on the weekend - 30 hours of boredom.

When we did the Gerätekunde the guy didn't have a clue about some subjects (fly fishing and multipliers were two).

I have an appointment to sit my test in a month's time at the local Dekra centre.

So I have a month to learn (i.e. commit to memory) the Schonzeiten and Mindestmaße of the 50 species of fish that can be caught in Sachsen.

Hello, 

any luck with fishing? I was searching and found 2 types of licenses here in Berlin. 

First. 30€ yearly license to fishing In Potsdam in only spree river 

second. A 100€ license in any where in Berlin, Brandenburg and Potsdam. 

But it fishing with lures, spinning lures, soft bait and live bait is not allowed with this kind of license. 

I got the 30€ one. 

Best of luck. 

Berlin has some funny rules with regards to licenses.

As a member of the Angelverband Leipzig we get the Brandenburg erlaubnis for 12 € a year for all fishing types.