Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Living in Germany with kids!

2 posts in this topic

My family is considering applying for a job with the DOD to move back to Germany. We are a family of 4 - my husband and I are in our later 20's and our children are ages almost 3 and 1 year.We lived there before during his military enlistment a few years ago, but that was when it was just the two of us (however my oldest was born there, right before we left:D)! I'm very interested in this opportunity, however, I'd like to hear from other DOD families about life overseas with children. I guess my main concern is how it will affect them... is it crazy to move overseas with kids? I feel like giving them the opportunity to live in a foreign country and learn a new language is great, but I know it will be a completely different lifestyle from the US. Ultimately, I just want them to be happy... But we miss Germany and I would love to begin a new adventure with my family. 

Go for it.  It will be an adventure:  things will be fine, there'll be problems and dissatisfactions, you'll love it, you'll hate it.  The kids are perfect ages and if they're in Kita they'll be speaking German in no time and with flawless regional accents (probably in dialect).  I don't think you';ll regret it.  My family spent the decade of the 70s there and two of my children are permanent residents, they were so happy there.