Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sachkundenachweis- theoretical test for dog owners

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am interested in getting a dog, but I have just found out that there is a theoretical test that you must complete in Niedersachsen before getting a dog. Has anyone completed this test? Any hope of getting a test done in English or am I dreaming?

Hi there,

You should contact a local dog trainer, for example here: http://www.hundeschule-wolfsburg.de/sachkunde.html and ask if she speaks English. I have not heard of the test existing in English, but I guess you can have someone with you, as a translator for the test.

Good luck,

Expat-Dog

Here in NRW there is also compulsory test for owners of large dog breeds (I don't think all regions have this test). As the owner of a terrifying and dangerous dog breed....ok, a labrador, I have to take this test in the next few weeks. I've had a look online, and whilst most of the questions are fairly straight forward, I have been caught out by some of the questions where there are more than one right answer, or a neutral answer...in fact, some of them seemed almost designed to trip me up, rather than check that I know how to handle a dog. The online examples go on for ages (far longer than a driving theory test). Has anyone taken the actual test? If so, how many questions were there, and what was the pass rate?  Thanks.

@dstanners is there anything in that test about how a dog should be on a leash when not inside a fenced area or in a home? I love to walk in nature and have no dog but it scares the crap out of me to round the corner in the woods and see a dog owner with their big dog either a) off the leash altogether and at a distance from the dog owner B) see the dog running towards me, no matter how much the owner yells at the dog and runs at it to try and catch it before it reaches me c) big dog owners who use this very long, slack, dragging on the ground leash (meter sand meters of long) while pushing their baby stroller with both hands who are, technically, walking their dog on the leash, but can't control their dog on a leash at such distance either. 

Yes, there are questions about how dogs need to be on a lead (including situations when they don't need to be). As a rule of thumb, if ever you see an owner running after a dog shouting, you can be pretty sure that he isn't in control of the situation (and suffice to say, the owner doing more running and shouting isn't going to improve things)!