Oldenburg Zentrum mall toilets

10 posts in this topic

Germany has two Oldenburg towns, a small one and a tiny one. The small one is in Niedersachsen, northwest of Bremen and south of East Frisia. In or just north of the small Oldenburg's Zentrum, at or near a place phonetically spelled Am Lappan, there is a pedestrians-only shopping area which has, among many other stores, a Saturn store. What if one needs to go to the toilet when in that shopping area?

There are no signs pointing in the direction of the toilets. Go to the large, irregularly shaped, parking level under the shopping area. On the parking level, there are no signs pointing to the toilets. Search patiently. You'll eventually find a toilet door. If you keep searching, you'll find another toilet door. One door is marked to indicate that it is for a toilet area for people in a wheelchair. The times when I have tested that door, it has been locked or perhaps jammed shut. The other door opens if one puts in coins. Then, one enters a narrow hall. Beware, there is one step in the hall a little after entering. In the hall, one sees two doors, an "H" door and a "D" door. Normally in Germany in such places, there are internationally recognized, male and female silhouettes or complete words such as Herren and Damen. Using just "H" and "D" is consisten with the policy of no signs to point toward the toilets, a minimal information policy.

There is a light switch in the hall to turn the hall light on or off. The switch is about the distance from the floor of where the hands of a woman or short man are while that person is standing. Normally, on-off light switches on a wall require an adult to lift his hand. This one doesn't. A German man of normal height would have to lower his hand slightly, not raise it, to operate the light switch. Once, I left through the hall while another man entered through the hall. Each of us, to minimize brushing against the other, brushed against the wall nearest him. As As I brushed against the wall nearest me, my hand brushed against the light switch, inadvertently turning the light off, so we were in the dark. I instantly realized what had happened, found the switch in the dark, and turned the light back on. Luckily, neither of us tripped over the step in the dark. This is the only wall, light switch I've encountered which does not require lifting one's hand to operate.

Midgets have much trouble with on-off light switches on walls. Midgets find a chair, bring it to the switch, climb on the chair, then turn the light on or off. This is a nuisance for them. I think that midgets would appreciate the height of that hall's light switch. I cannot guess why the switch is so low in the toilet area hall. I guess that it is not low to help midgets.

Early in this post, I mention Saturn. I mention Saturn solely to specify the place I'm discussing. I guess that Saturn is a mere tenant with no power over toilet signs or public areas of the mall.

:blink:

I cannot guess why the switch is so low in the toilet area hall

maybe for the people in wheel chairs?

One door is marked to indicate that it is for a toilet area for people in a wheelchair. The times when I have tested that door, it has been locked or perhaps jammed shut. The other door opens if one puts in coins.

Unattended public toilets specific for people with disabilities generally require use of a key, either a common model ("Euro-Key") or one you get from a desk there.

The low light switch, as mentioned, is an accessibility feature for people in wheelchairs.

Using just "H" and "D" is consisten with the policy of no signs to point toward the toilets, a minimal information policy.

... and perfectly common in every building last renovated before ca 1980 (and some later ones).

I am denkyo, the original poster.  I learned from kato about key policy and about "H" and "D" doors.  Kato taught what tor guessed about the low light switch.  I thank tor and kato for their answers and fraufruit for her praise.

There are a total of four posts including mine.  To the far right of each pos, there is a small heart icon and a number.  My number is -1.  The other three posters each have zero.  What is that number?  Is that the evaluation we get from others?  Have I been evaluated as -1?

Nice pun, John.  One has to be careful about toilet-related puns.  If you make a pun that's too vulgar, you may later discover that urine trouble. :-)-