Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

British merchant seaman new in Amberg

3 posts in this topic

Hello there,

My name is Peter and I am new to this forum and relatively new to Germany.

I moved to Amberg last September which is a nice little town between Nuremberg and Regensburg.

I work as a merchant seaman however I had always planned on stopping at some point and moving ashore, which wouldn't have been a problem back in England but will prove to be a lot more difficult in Germany I fear. Does anyone have any advice on jobs/roles/areas of employment that require English speaking employees?

I was also wondering if anyone had any advice regarding studying in Germany as a German resident but a British citizen?

Finally I was wondering how other people have got on with the language? I take lessons two/three times a week, one-on-one tuition (can't get into a group because of my month on/off rotations at sea not fitting well enough). Since September I have got about half-way though A2, this is learning every other month when I am home, but obviously my German slides a little during the month I am at sea which is frustrating. Also, in having such a non-existent social circle I get very little practice outside of my weekly lessons. A friend of mine used Gumtree in the UK to meet a French person who wanted to learn English so they could meet up and exchange languages. Does anyone know of anything like this for Germany (Amberg region?) Or any meet-ups in/around Amberg for foreign people wanting to practice their German? Because at fifty Euros per one-on-one tuition lesson learning is hitting pretty hard on the wallet.

Peter.

Hello Peter

Sounds like you are in an awkward situation regarding learning German and I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on future employment prospects and social activities. I'm sure there are other members who can help. I can tell you though that the German equivalent of gumtree is kleinanzeigen.de

Kleinanzeigen

It's all free and you could put in an ad for German tuition wanted etc. 50€ per hour is a bit on the steep side even for one to one tuition. Perhaps look for a nachhilfe ad offering English tuition...the teacher is most likely to be German and you would be able to communicate.

Have a good look around this website using the search function. There's lots of advice here. Try searching:

Learning German

Finding friends

English jobs

Social

Good luck

Thanks for that,

I have done a search for those things and found some information, was hoping to stumble across someone with a bit more familiarity to Amberg and the surrounding areas however.