Best place for family to live in or near Wurzburg?

8 posts in this topic

We are currently state-side. However, we lived in Frankfurt (Rödelheim) for 2 years in 2009-2011. We had no clue about the city when we chose our apartment. It was awful, and the worst part was that we toured apartments and chose to live there.

Fast forward to now--we are being sent to Würzburg by my husband's employer for June-August and we don't get to go tour apartments or the area before choosing our apartment. We have to choose it via online pictures and ads. We are a family of 3--my husband will be at work and I will be home with my 4 year old daughter left to explore the city. (Did you do the math? Yes, my daughter was conceived and born in Germany!) We will only have a vehicle on the weekends.

Which area do you recommend we move to?

What about Heidingsfeld? We were sent info about apartments there. If not there, the where?

I appreciate your help as we want this to be a wonderful experience.

Where would be your husband´s workplace? Which side of the river (left, as Heidingsfeld is)?

TBH I doubt if you will find a landlord willing to rent an apartment anywhere for just 3 months (also the Maklergebühr would just about double the cost). Possibly a Ferienwohnung might work (but for so long?).

I was going to warn about widespread scams involving apartments advertised on the Interwebby which turn out not to exist when you get here (& have paid up-front). Relevant threads on this forum.

Where would be your husband´s workplace? Which side of the river (left, as Heidingsfeld is)?

Actually, the company is finding us apartments via a real estate agent, and they have sent us a few options that are willing to rent for as little as 1 month. I'm not worried about the scam factor at all; I just don't want to be miserable all summer in an area that we hate.

Hubby's company is Brose; I'm not actually sure where that is located in Wurzburg.

Brose is located acroos the river and almost at the opposite side of Würzburg. So if it was me I´d rather try to avoid that commute since the bridges across the river Main can get pretty clogged during rush hour.

I´d rather try to rent closer to the area where Brose is located (e. g. in the areas of Lengfeld, Gerbrunn, Estenfeld, Frauenland) from which the commute will be much easier.

Thank you for your input. Are you familiar with the areas you mentioned? Just curious if they will be convenient and pleasant for me and my daughter. My husband will be using public transportation to and from work.

I used to live in Lengfeld 30 years ago and prior to that in Gerbrunn and Frauenland. So things might have changed a bit, but all the areas I mentioned are safe and suitable for young families (as are basically all parts of Würzburg, except maybe some areas in Zellerau). If your husband is going to use public transport he might want to check connections to / from your future residence via the "oeffi"-app on his cell or here (click the British flag in the upper right corner to switch to English). Seeing that he´ll be commuting in summer a bicycle / pedelec might also be a good option.

Heidingsfeld is not that bad. It has mainly detached family homes and is connected to the city centre via tram. You would also have a big outdoor swimming pool with play area, the Dallenbergbad, nearby. If I were you, I would chose a place in the city proper, not in the outskirts (which would be Gerbrunn, Estenfeld, Lengfeld mentioned by Jeba), which only have bus connections to the centre of Würzburg and might give you the feeling of being stuck in a boring suburb (Gerbrunn and Estenfeld are actually communities of their own). Frauenland is one of the most popular neighbourhoods, Sanderau is another centric one. Avoid Heuchelhof, with high-rise housing a bit outside of the city. I would mainly check if the place is located in a quiet street; if the word "ruhig" doesn't appear in the ad, it often means that it's not quiet, and "verkehrsgünstig gelegen" ('conveniently accessible') is practically a euphemism for 'noisy'.

Generally, Würzburg has a very different vibe than Frankfurt. It only has one fifth of the population of Frankfurt and is more slow-paced and traditional. The presence of many university students, also from abroad, saves it from being too provincial though. All in all, it's a nice place to spend the summer with many historical sites in the area. Enjoy the Frankenwein!