Home office deduction

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

i have a new job opportunity and they offer me 2 options for the office

1) in their HQ

2) at my place as home office

What i would like to understand is : given a simbolic rent of 1000E/month what would be the "saving" at the end of the month because of the home office?

thx

i found the answer in another post!

"Just to be clear - you don't get back exactly that amount, you just reduce your taxable income by it.

Example (calculated with Parmentier income tax calculator):

taxable family income without office: 70,000€ --> tax 15,175.12€

taxable family income with 2,000€ office costs applied: 68,000€ --> tax 14,466.16€

So because of those 2,000€ office expenses, you save roughly 700€ in tax. The amount saved in tax depends on your family income."

Hey there

Is there a cap on how much deduction can be claimed on home office?

Also, is 50 sq mtr apartment good enough to claim the home office for a single person. How big the apartment should be?

Thanks for your input :)

Cheers!
K

15 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

Also, is 50 sq mtr apartment good enough to claim the home office for a single person. How big the apartment should be?

The size of the apartment is not so relevant – the home office needs to be a separate room, no through room, equipped only as an office and it needs to be the center of your business activity. 

Hi all,

I'm freelance videographer. I live in a 100sqm flat with my flatmate and the flat has 3 rooms. We share a room (30sqm) as a sharing place. Both have each own desk in the room, and I work almost everyday in the room for my job. But my flatmate is a full-time barkeeper and he uses the desk not for his job, but for his language study and music composing.

In this case, can I deduct the room cost as home office? And if yes, how should I calculate?

I think the maximum deduction possible is 1250 Euros, although, like most limits, this may change over time.

I believe you have to split annual the rent by the area of the workspace, so it depends on the percentage the workspace makes of the total living space.

The tax advisor should be able to work out the total amount for you, and tell you of any special rules for an 'office/workroom'.

So for example, no wardrobes, was one rule I was told about.