Etiquette for parcels left with neighbours

Who should put in the effort   99 votes

1. 1. Who should put in the effort?

• The person with the yellow card should go collect the parcel.
    • The person with the parcel should try and deliver it to the intended recipient.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

85 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Guest said:

An old colleague of mine stopped using them, because the one near him was always full and they would send it to any other packstation for him to find a way to pick it up.

This happened exactly 3 times for us in many, many years. Himself got messages about the locations and picked them up. No problem and didn't bother a neighbor. We are home most of the time so have our packages come to our flat along with all of our neighbors' packages. We don't accept any for neighbors a week before planned holidays. The down side is, if we have their packages, it is difficult to be spontaneous and take off for a couple of days. 

3 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Typical of GLS (& often DPD). The number of times I've been at home, heard nothing and then found a card to say the parcel is with a neighbour.

Thank the neighbour and perhaps give him a little Easter choccy treat.

This is very common with all couriers, the problem is money as always.   Nowadays most delivery guys are freelancers, all delivery companies outsourced the final delivery, and they are paid peanuts.   The poor guy just tries to get rid of all packages as soon as possible.  When we receive packages at home sometimes they ask if we could take packages for our neighbors and then proceed to dump on us packages for 3 or 4 neighbors, we don't really care because they are all good neighbors and they do the same for us.   And I know the guy is asking us without checking the other neighbors places, but I can understand why he does it.   I think we are as well partially guilty of this race to the button because we want to pay the lowest possible prices with no delivery charges, so someone has to cut corners.

Two years on and very happy I switched to using packstation whenever possible. It seems that around 80% of things from Amazon can be delivered to a packstation. I've had one thing that was sent via Hermes to my packstation address, and what a surprise, it couldn't be delivered there and went back to sender. How a computer or a person that knows their courier is Hermes doesn't spot the word packstation in the target address before sending I'll never understand.

I had another misfortune recently with packstation. The package must have been about 2mm smaller (width AND height) than the packstation slot it was put into and was in the bottom row and had been pushed all the way to the back (nearly a metre in). I could only just reach it without either lying down on the snowy/dirty ground or practicing some kind of super-advanced yoga pose, but I could feel it was there. Due to the size though I couldn't even get a finger in above or to the side of it and pull the box out. I was forced to leave it there, but the door didn't want to close. It kept popping back open. There must have been some kind of sensor in there. I ended up closing the door as much as possible so that it looked closed but wasn't. I then went to a nearby shop and bought something that I could fashion into a hook. Went back to the PS and the door was now mysteriously properly closed. I assumed a DHL person had closed it (with or without removing the package). I put my card into the card-reader and entered my mTAN and it said it was invalid. It didn't want to let me collect a parcel that it thought I'd already collected. I spent many phone calls and emails with DHL, Amazon, and the original sender over the course of a month and finally got a refund. The number of times I heard "but the computer says you collected it from the packstation". No !! No I didn't !! It wouldn't come out. No idea what happened to the package, whether they found it or not. I'd have given up half way through that process for less than a tenner but it was €130 so I stuck with it. I now keep that hook tool in my car permanently. That ain't happening again.

1 hour ago, Guest said:

An old colleague of mine stopped using them, because the one near him was always full and they would send it to any other packstation for him to find a way to pick it up.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

This happened exactly 3 times for us in many, many years. Himself got messages about the locations and picked them up. No problem and didn't bother a neighbor. We are home most of the time so have our packages come to our flat along with all of our neighbors' packages. We don't accept any for neighbors a week before planned holidays. The down side is, if we have their packages, it is difficult to be spontaneous and take off for a couple of days. 

About half of my packages get sent to another packstation - it seems my preferred one is always full. The second one is not far, only slightly annoying because there's very little parking avaialble in the area, but it's close enough for me to walk (30 minutes there and back).

But 2 times now I've had a package delived to a packstation which is about 3km away from the original one, that would be a 30-40 minute walk or 20 minutes by bus (1 way). Without a car that's not really acceptable.

Another option by DHL is to deliver directly to a post office, if you have one nearby - you can't pick it up late in the evening buy you can pick it up on saturday morning.

Once I've had Hermes insist on attempting delivery 3 times before they could redirect to a shop, even when I told them I wasn't going to be home (I think they improved this now) and DHL express say "sorry, we can't deliver to a post office because this is DHL Express!" (cue a 20 minute drive to their warehouse to pick up a package)  

I happily accept my neighbours packages, which is very, very often because I'm usually there during the day, when they are working, and because I'm glad when they accept mine on the rare occasion I'm not there during delivery times as I don't have a car to drive to a packstation, which is especially annoying if the package is heavy, like dog food, for instance. 

I don't order online, so I don't have to worry about where possible packages are lying around and where to pick it up. I'm never at home during the day. Next topic :).

PS- When I get old, I might order a case of Franziskaner online at Edeka, so they can deliver it to the third floor since we have no elevator.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

This is very common with all couriers, the problem is money as always.   Nowadays most delivery guys are freelancers, all delivery companies outsourced the final delivery, and they are paid peanuts.   The poor guy just tries to get rid of all packages as soon as possible. 

This is all true, however I am not convinced it is due to these conditions.  Even when I was a kid several decades ago virtually all packages sent to my home (suburban london) would go direct to "you were not home, please collect" to the extent that we would actually sit in the front room watching and try to catch the drivers leaving notes (so we could get the packages in person) because we knew they would never ring.

I always put it down to them learning to deduce from factors such as whether there is a car outside etc how likely it is that someone is in and making a judgement call whether or not its worth ringing.  

We (all the people in my building) accept packages for each other and I find it quite nice, as it's a great way to get to know each other and lends a cozy feeling to our community.  I have one neighbor who accepts more than most, and I always bring her flowers when she's accepted a few packages for me in a row.

I think I only ever had to take a package to someone once in 7 years.  I don't usually reject packages for others unless they are really, really big, as my apartment is just so small.

Last time I accepted a large parcel I had the delivery guy carry it upstairs to my neighbor's door as it was a mattress, weighed a ton, no-one could possibly sneak away with it, I'm in the EG and have a clear view of anyone coming or leaving the building and I was home all day so felt confident it would be safe.  He was falling all over himself thanking me as he said he is essentially FINED by his employer if he returns a parcel to the distribution center because he can't deliver it.  The look in his eyes was quite convincing and he didn't tell me any of that til I had suggested we take it upstairs and I would sign for it. If I remember correctly, he was working for DPD

I'm seriously reconsidering online shopping on these grounds.  yeah it's convenient as hell, but if my convenience is literally costing working people cash out of their pockets...no.  I just don't feel ok with that.  

I am sick to death of taking parcels for our neighbour. During the past 4 years we have taken literally hundreds, while they have taken less than 10 of ours. Working from home of course means we are more available. 

Would it be too much to expect a bottle of wine at Christmas for our inconvenience? 

2 hours ago, Cheeseroller2 said:

I am sick to death of taking parcels for our neighbour. During the past 4 years we have taken literally hundreds, while they have taken less than 10 of ours. Working from home of course means we are more available. 

Would it be too much to expect a bottle of wine at Christmas for our inconvenience? 

Continue with the reluctant attitude and Refuse to accept the parcels-_-

6 minutes ago, Katemonster said:

How acceptable is it not to accept a parcel for a neighbour?  

Who cares? I have declined to take a parcel because I didn't get along with the recipient. The delivery Person will just have to find someone else to take it. You aren't obligated to take it and the recipient will probably never find out that you declined. Even if he/she does, you just say you weren't sure whether you'd be home to give it to them that evening or not.

8 hours ago, Cheeseroller2 said:

I know, right? We take the majority of packages in our house. The hair salon downstairs has accepted some of our packages if we were out. We put money in her tip jar and occasionally bring her an industrial size container of gummy bears or some such for her shop.

I think it just isn't done.

We do tip the delivery guys € 2 for every package of ours that they deliver to our door. I once took a parcel for a neighbor and accidentally tipped him out of habit when, in that case, I was doing him a big favor. :rolleyes:

We have refused very large parcels, furniture.  Small  packets are fine, and Mr Postie always leaves the yellow form  in letterbox to let addressee know.

If I am home during the day and know that I will be at home still between 18:30 and 21:30 to let people pick up their stuff I am happy to help. If not I will simply decline.

There are so many apps fo people to track their purchases, they do not need me as their unpaid purchasing secretary.

If people do not pitch up on the same day or before either 6:50 during the week and 09:30 at the weekends then they will simply have to wait. 

Never had a neighbour who has not sent a family member during the evening or has not apologised for bothering me for 10 seconds just before I set off the next morning.

I am normally home one day a week during the week, Possibly upto 4 parcels each time.

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

We do tip the delivery guys € 2 for every package of ours that they deliver to our door.

I'm a pretty big tipper, yet I don't think I've ever tipped a delivery person for a normal package, and I'm 99.999% sure my wife hasn't. Never even crossed my mind, unless he/she was delivering pizza.

We get a much higher percentage of packages brought to our door than we did pre-tipping when they would just dump them in the hair salon. I also believe that the drivers are underpaid and overworked. Same with food delivery people. 

I don't mind taking my neighbors packages.  They usually come over and get them when they get back.  As long as its a reasonable number, say 4 or 5 a month.  I could see some delivery people taking advantage of you.  I watched one guy ring my bell before he even went to the neighbors as he knows when I'm usually there and figures it will save him time if the neighbor is not home.  That is probably over the line.