Etiquette for parcels left with neighbours

Who should put in the effort   99 votes

1. 1. Who should put in the effort?

• The person with the yellow card should go collect the parcel.
    • The person with the parcel should try and deliver it to the intended recipient.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

85 posts in this topic

Just wondering what other people here think about who's responsible for putting in the effort of reuniting the parcel with its intended recipient. If it's the person who took in the parcel on their neighbours behalf, or the person who wasn't in at the time of delivery and now has a yellow card telling them where it is.

It seems that whenever we take a parcel in for a neighbour, we seem to be the one that has to try (multiple times) to deliver it to the intended recipient.

In the inverse scenario, when someone has taken in a parcel for us, we're the ones that have to keep trying (multiple times) to try and collect it from the person who has it.

It hardly ever happens that someone rings our bell and says either "I took in a parcel for you, here it is" or "I understand you have a parcel of ours".

So what's the normal parcel etiquette? Should it be the person with the yellow card who should go and ask for it, and the person with the parcel just waits without putting in any effort to complete the delivery themselves?

To keep in mind : In not just a few cases the delivery guy will simply "forget" to drop a card into the neighbours mailbox. So, at least after 3-4 days after I took the parcel on behalf

of someone in our house I'll ring at their door.

Good point. One thing I considered (but probably shouldn't have) is putting a card of our own in their letterbox saying what would be guaranteed good times and probably good times that they could collect it. I've never actually done that and probably never would, but the idea certainly entered my head once or twice.

DHL in particular now offers so many options for uniting a recipient with their parcel that it shouldn't be necessary to bother your neighbours any more. Examples include Packstations, delivery direct to a post office for collection, changing the delivery day, packet boxes outside the front door etc. etc. Unfortunately few people seem to know about these options.

Flexibler Paketempfang

DHL in particular now offers so many options for uniting a recipient with their parcel that it shouldn't be necessary to bother your neighbours any more. Examples include Packstations, delivery direct to a post office for collection, changing the delivery day, packet boxes outside the front door etc. etc. Unfortunately few people seem to know about these options.

Flexibler Paketempfang

Yeah, I signed up for packstation four weeks ago. Completed all the steps, including ID verification at a post office. I got emails and a letter back saying effectively "all done, all OK, you'll get your gold card soon which you can use to collect your parcel from the packstation". Three weeks later, no card. I've emailed the hell out of them and nothing. It's annoying as I've got a backlog of four non-urgent things I want to order and want to get them delivered to the PS but can't. Maybe I should go ahead and get them delivered to the PS and when they complain that I'm occupying spaces and need to get off my arse and collect them I can say give me the card you promised and I will :)

How will you know which transport company your online shop will choose?

That's very annoying that you generally can't choose. I'd say of all the things I order, it's probably 50% DHL/Post, 25% Hermes, and 25% the others (GLS, UPS, etc).

I wonder what would happen if I give my address as my packstation address and then the sender uses Hermes for example. They don't have the option to put parcels into the Packstation boxes I assume, unless they somehow have an agreement with DHL that they can deliver the items to the post office who'll then put them in the packstation, but that seems unlikely.

Yeah, I signed up for packstation four weeks ago. [...] Three weeks later, no card.

Same here. I had to call them, which sorted it out, in the end. It seemed like a huge amount of hassle. Then the first thing I had sent to the Packstation was returned, and the second went unaccountably missing. All's been fine since then, though!

Incidentally, Hermes allow you to have parcels sent straight to your nearest Hermes agency, of which there are quite a few, at least down my way. UPS is a real pain in the arse though.

My pet peeve is using the DHL tracking system to find that my parcels have been delivered to an unnamed neighbour, who turns out to be a Paketshop in my neigbourhood, and never receiving a yellow card at all to let me know.

How will you know which transport company your online shop will choose?

On the whole you are told which service is used, and occasionally you can choose. You could also choose your online store based on who they use to deliver the parcel.

Basically employers need to make it easy for their employees to receive packages at work. It's ridiculous for DHL/Hermes etc. to try to individually deliver packages to one empty home after the next when they could just drive a truck to an office block and deliver 300 parcels at once, direct to the recipients.

yourkeau's etiquette:

1. I collect my parcels from neighbors. Some of them are kind enough to leave the box near my door (I've heard that this is common delivery method in Canada/USA, dont know why not in Germany).

2. I keep parcels of my neighbors by the next day. If nobody shows up, I attempt to deliver them.

Flexibler Paketempfang

And these options include "desired neighbor", i.e. you can specify whom exactly the parcel should be delivered. Neighbor is a great option if you have a good one.

Same here. I had to call them, which sorted it out, in the end. It seemed like a huge amount of hassle.

Spookily, after nearly a month of waiting, I just finally got an email from them:

Wir bedauern, dass der Versand der Goldcard für Sie mit einer längeren Wartezeit verbunden ist und bemühen uns, Ihnen Ihre Goldcard so schnell wie möglich zukommen zu lassen.

Wir bitten Sie noch um etwas Geduld und Danken für Ihr Verständnis.

It's still annoying but at least now I know it didn't go missing or I got lost in the system. The devil on my left shoulder is still telling me to go ahead and order stuff to get sent to the packstation.

I wonder what would happen if I give my address as my packstation address and then the sender uses Hermes for example. They don't have the option to put parcels into the Packstation boxes I assume, unless they somehow have an agreement with DHL that they can deliver the items to the post office who'll then put them in the packstation, but that seems unlikely.

Normally the shop/business will send you an e-mail stating that delivery address/method is not possible. It happened to me when trying to use Packetstation with private shops through amazon that use Hermes as delivery company.

I had to change to my personal address/Hermes shop.

Normally the shop/business will send you an e-mail stating that delivery address/method is not possible. It happened to me when trying to use Packetstation with private shops through amazon that use Hermes as delivery company.

I had to change to my personal address/Hermes shop.

Good to know. It did seem highly realistic that DHL would somehow allow other spedition companies to bring parcels to them and they complete the last leg to the packstation. They could of course have given these companies some kind of permission to deliver directly to the packstation, but clearly not.

I have one neighbour who gets lots of parcels- I am happy to keep them if she is out. But, she often forgets to pick it up for days, even when I see her. However, she frequently drops a small gift to me- so no complaints!

The reason I've given alternative delivery options so much thought is that I have a neighbour who receives DHL parcels almost every day but is never at home during the day. Unfortunately her small gifts to me haven't really met my approval (for example bottles of pink-coloured sparkling plonk; not really a well-thought-out gift for a bloke).

I have one neighbour who gets lots of parcels- I am happy to keep them if she is out. But, she often forgets to pick it up for days, even when I see her. However, she frequently drops a small gift to me- so no complaints!

It's not the actual neighbour-parcel concept I dislike, it's the uncertainty of us knowing when they're home, or them knowing when we're home, and the repeated attempts at trying to pickup/deliver. It's been known to reach 4-5 failed attempts to offload a parcel we're looking after. I'd happily co-contribute to one of those parcel-stations that you can apparently have outside your building (or in the lobby I suppose).

The addressee on the package does the collecting here. I accept a lot because I'm home in the day time. I never hunt them down. They come eventually. When I do accept parcels, I remind the delivery guy to put a note in the receiver's mailbox. He always does and appreciates my efforts. Saves him a lot of work. Once, I mistakenly tipped him for bringing someone elses parcel to me.

When our Packstation behind the house is full (or they say it was), they put packages in any other Packstation which has never been convenient at all. We don't use that service much.

Once, I mistakenly tipped him for bringing someone elses parcel to me.

You mean you generally tip a delivery person for bringing a parcel? I've only ever done that if someone brings something large (table, fridge) and delivers it direct to the desired place inside and/or does some unpacking/construction. If they're just handing over a small amazon delivery they don't get a tip.

When our Packstation behind the house is full (or they say it was), they put packages in any other Packstation which has never been convenient at all. We don't use that service much.

That's good to know. Where I am I have two packstations available, about 200 metres apart. I hoped they'd do that if one's full.

Since I started tipping, I stopped finding notes in my mailbox that they had tried to deliver but I wasn't there. That happened often when I was home all day. Then they would leave them at some Backshop which wasn't convenient or acceptable since I paid for home delivery. Those guys are terribly overworked with more packages to deliver in a day than is possible. I appreciate their service. They don't make much money. I only give 2 yoyos so no biggy.

The addressee on the package does the collecting here. I accept a lot because I'm home in the day time. I never hunt them down. They come eventually. When I do accept parcels, I remind the delivery guy to put a note in the receiver's mailbox.

It's more important that he puts the neighbor's name into the system. If the package is tracked (usually the case) then the recipient will know neighbor's name regardless of the note.