Watch UK TV via the Amazon Fire TV stick

61 posts in this topic

Hi,

just a heads-up for those looking to get UK TV on their telly:

• buy an amazon Fire TV stick for 20>40 euros
  • load the Kodi (XBMC) app onto it
  • then in Kodi, install the Addon Installer
  • finally, load the FTV addon

via the FTV addon, you'll have access to live UK TV, via filmon.

If you so desire, you can use this setup to stream just about any movie or show as well.

Nothing really new here - other than the fact that the Amazon Fire TV stick is dirt cheap and saves having to hook a PC up to yer telly! Have Fun ;)

Its a posh way of watching "FilmOn" on your TV...

Many people now call it FilmOff, as they tend to watch the Buffer circle more than the programme! :lol:

No buffering for me. I watched 30 mins of some crap lastnight, and it worked perfectly.

But indeed, you can do the same via your browser.

TBH, I don't normally watch UK TV anymore... (except downton!), but if you have a geek friend that can set this up for you, it is a cheap and cheerful way of watching TV streams. And as I mentioned, if you're are willing to venture into the grey area of streaming shows and movies, then the options are endless.

I never get buffering with Filmon.

I've just bought one of these mainly because it was only 20 yoyos.

If your TV screen is big enough to be watched by more than one person and their eyes are good, then Filmon picture quality is IMO unacceptable even when paying for their so-called HD service.

I've been there, done that and had to ask for my money back (and received the reimbursement at once without any arguments as already reported elsewhere on TT).

I tried filmon temporarily to tide me over while satellite was not working. It wasnt that bad. Buffering only for very popular programmes. I dont think id be able to permanently make use of any iptv or streaming though. I love half -watching background tv too much, which you cant really squander a gb data allowance on.

Does the amazon allow you to change tv channels easily? I remember that was a little slow with filmon if you wanted to watch back to back programming.

JUst get a chromecast, you you not need yo load or configure it, down load the FILMON app from the play store and control it from your smartphone

FILMON have built an app so you can directly play it from your phone.

FILMON quality is not great, but its good enough for back ground noise, watching BBC news etc - and - then pick up high quality versions of the programs on the iplayers

No buffering for me. I watched 30 mins of some crap lastnight, and it worked perfectly.

Yeah, right. Sure as hell are their servers not in an overload situation when crap is running. You might want to try again when something *really* big is running, and report that...

dude, it was documentary about Roman stones found in some farmers field ... you telling me that isn't a big hit? :)

dude, it was documentary about Roman stones found in some farmers field ... you telling me that isn't a big hit?

dude, a documentary about the Rolling stones playing on some farmer's field... that would be a big hit.

I use www.tvguide.co.uk

And I use the BBC iPlayer and the equivalent on Channel 4 and ITV.

IS there anything worth watching on German TV? I've not bothered looking in over a year.

Does anyone have any ideas about getting Zattoo on to my TV using the Amazone Fire stick or a similar product? Zattoo's quality and interface is far superior to Filmon, even their standard def service is acceptable for the small amount of live TV that I watch.

Sorry, Neil, but you are wrong... the Amazon Fire TV box can do more than you think (although the Fire TV stick is less capable than the box)

I also have a Roku 3 in action and it does a brilliant job, but it cannot provide live BBC TV (except on those rare occasions when the Beeb is transmitting live action on the Roku 3 BBC Sport app).

The Amazon Fire TV box, of which I have two, can provide live UK FTA TV in a number of ways:

- via the native Zattoo app (live only)

- via the sideloaded Zattoo Android app (live plus recall & record); needs a wireless mouse

- via the TVPlayer app (live only)

The AFTV can also provide catchup via the BBC iPlayer app.

I have no experience of the Fire TV stick.

All the above need a smart DNS service or VPN.

The Amazon Fire TV, of which I have two, can provide live UK FTA TV in a number of ways, the native Zattoo app (live only), the sideloaded Zattoo Android app* (live, recall & record), the TVPlayer app (live only) as well as catchup via the BBC iPlayer app.

*needs a wireless mouse

You can also sideload (works without Kodi too) FilmOn, but if I remember correct (I am at work now and can't check it) you also need keyboard/mouse for it to work 100% correct.

@ Alexnf

I found the FilmOn picture quality terrible on a bigger screen even in its pay version. Paid up, hated it, got my money back.