Looking for Defense Contractor Job (for 2015)

7 posts in this topic

*Although there are other posts with this topic, they are rather outdated by a few years. This is meant to update the topic*

Hello everyone! I've been looking for defense contractor jobs in Germany for a couple of years, and I must say they are rare indeed (at least for my skill set). I'm a cleared, German-speaking business analyst (requirements analyst as well) working for ManTech in government IT, and my major life goal at this point is to live in Germany for a few years or more while working for the US government. It's pretty much a weekly routine for me to scour clearancejobs.com, clearedjobs.net, and a handful of major contracting company career pages; however, I feel like I'm missing some valuable sources for job postings other than what's posted on the sources I've just mentioned. Any help would me most appreciated as my search has been rather long and fruitless...

1. Do any of you know the current list of contracting companies that have contracts on the military bases in Germany?

2. Are companies hiring only people who currently live in Germany?

3. Do you have any recommendations on how one should approach applying for contracting jobs in Germany (at least enough to get 1 interview)?

Again, thanks so much for your help. I've been reading a lot of the postings on here, and I thought it was time to jump in and join you all.

I've tried usajobs.gov; however, those openings are for federal civilian positions. I may consider going federal again (since I'm ex federal), but right now I'm only looking for contract opportunities. Thanks a lot.

Ah, I see.

I worked in the U.S. for a defense contractor for a year and I found the job by Googling the job title plus location. My recruiter was extremely fast in communicating with me. Perhaps finding recruiters at contracting companies and emailing them directly with your resume would help. Using advanced search on LinkedIn is great for this. I just found the email address of a senior recruiter at Exelis (which has contracts in Germany) this way.

Best of luck. Maybe someone else on TT will jump on here with some Germany-specific recommendations.

Other than networking with people you know, upload your CV on a few internet job sites and agents will chase you. Whatever security clearances you have, get whatever documentation you need to show this. Contact companies' HRs and ask them what agents/consultants they use for manpower resources and consultant resources and then contact these agencies and consultants. Alot of campanies may have a manpower hiring freeze but consults work will come under a different budget. I wish you luck.

GD is the big one, and probably as good is it gets in the DOD world. Peruse www.gdit.com and you'll see many opening for Germany/UK - I can send you referral links if you want to help get me bonus money. :)

Northup Grumman is the other big contractor here, and BAE is probably the other only good contractor. Leidos (SAIC) is likely to get booted, CACI has a small presence (they basically bought out a bottom feeder to stay in theater) - ManTech, SRA and L3 may have small contracts here and there but I'd avoid them like the plague - it'd be a compliment to call them bottom feeders.

Most of the jobs are sys admin, network engr, break/fix or project management type stuff, a few programmers and Sharepoint developers. If you have good skills then you should be getting hits from clearancejob.com - I keep my resume up to date there and get 4-5 hits a week from headhunters.

If you don't have your ITIL-F cert yet get it - for some reason it's seen as valuable (and even required) even though it's the biggest BS cert there is.

You do NOT want to be hired from within Germany - bye-bye housing allowance and possibly COLA, along with tax-free status and access to lower cost gas, groceries and any other on-base shopping.

Federal jobs are generally a good deal, though they're expecting a 40% reduction in staffing over the next couple of years, so those will be scarcer then hen's teeth, and DISA is absorbing a lot of the work as well.

Good luck and keep plugging away.

Poohsan, this is exactly the kind of information that I was looking for; thank you! I will reach out to you with my personal email if you'd like to send me the referral links (I'm all about helping anyone get some extra $$ if it increases the chances of at least getting an interview).