Bought an 80+ year old house to renovate

78 posts in this topic

Wonderful to read something so nicely upbeat. You are waaay more of a DIYer than I will ever be, and you don't seem to have an inner Schweinehund either. Muchos kudos. I toyed with the idea of buying up something old and doing it up but the amount of work involved just scares me. And I have no Lebensabschnittsgefährte® to kick my butt either, so I shelved that idea.

Love the house though, old and new

Glad to see this worked out well for you.

I'm planning to do something similar, but attracting a lot of negative commentary, for some reason.

Lets see, first of all, getting back to the wet cellar in the house :

My suspicion was that, if I was somehow able to pump out groundwater from a deeper level, water wouldn't rise into the cellar when the ground was saturated - the cellar in the old stall/scheune never had water in it according to an old neighbor.

There is a brunnen out back, I opened that and put some new rings on top - unfortunately, when they'd dug the brunnen, they mounted the rings the wrong way round and at a slight angle so I was stuck with what I could do - Here you see ceiling cat on a visit to claim her new territory.

post-169389-14290867274095.jpg

There's a tauch pumpe with swimmer in there, we use it for garden water in the summer, and as soon as winter approaches / heavy rainfall for a few days - I pump the brunnen practically empty - since I've done that, no more water rising in the cellar ( knock on wood ) - suspicion confirmed - sorted ..YAY!

In the meantime, the roof has been done ( I have a bunch of photos from that but somehow can't find them - if I do, I'll post them ) chimneys had approx - 3m removed and redone as well.

Here's how it looks from the back:

post-169389-1429087034195.jpg

Opened the floor of the stall/scheune

post-169389-14290871428154.jpg

Oops - pic limit - new post in a min

Ich bin steinreich :D

post-169389-14290873929809.jpg

Those will build to the werkstedt / garden shed

Here's the same started on the otherside - they will go towards a fachwerk suana and wellness building at somepoint - you can also see the stacked beams behind

post-169389-14290875244236.jpg

Finally, mate offers to spread the lehm and some earth as well as fill the cellar with his mini bagger in return for the scrap iron beams from the stall scheune .. this was the only help I had from start to finish in the demolish process - total took exactly 14 months

post-169389-14290876913217.jpg

I'll snag a pic with my handy outside later today whilst the sun shines

To be continued

Taken a few minutes ago :

post-169389-14290891473542.jpg

post-169389-14290891810466.jpg

Close up of Mr Gnome, he usually has his place in the garden out front ( needs a repaint )

post-169389-14290892367202.jpg

The plan is a wooden terrace out back which will surround the brunnen - I'll pile earth round the brunnen and plant ummm "stauden" ? all around it. ( Mrs.G's choice actually, I have no mitspracherecht there )

Werkstedt / garden store on the left ( starting shortly ) and the Sauna building on the right - think of an upside down "L" with the sauna itself going towards the middle - plan / idea is a panorama Window / wall facing outwards towards the trees, with a wooden terrace on the "Inside" of the L with a hot tub - I left the walls of the cellar intact to just under the surface as I'll be planting a Bamboo & elephant grass"sichtshutz" in it - and want to make sure the bamboo roots don't spread too wide.

To be continued

Werkstedt / garden store on the left ( starting shortly ) and the Sauna building on the right -

Sauna? now my ears went up at that word.

What a bold project Mr.G is undertaking. Sorry I sound like Kevin McCloud!

Hey have you ever heard of a clay pizza oven? I'm dying to build one myself.

Hey have you ever heard of a clay pizza oven? I'm dying to build one myself.

Yes and no - a chap in the village has built a wood fired oven outside that he does pizz in as well as roasts - I think its clay wrapped around a metal box but not sure - I'll ask him next time i see him and take some pics if it is

Sauna? now my ears went up at that word.

:D

It's planned - but have a few hurdles to overcome :

1. Money

2. Finding a suitable oven to heat it with - according to my schornstein meister - there's actually only one wood fired ofen zugelassen (sp) in Germany - his suggestion ( and I think it's a goody ) is to find a gusseisen ofen, build it into the wall so that it's fed from the outside and more importantly, draws air from the outside as well - it would save a whole load of hassle.

3. permission - need to look up the local rules for a non lived in building with a feuerstätte ( though I imagine the architect will know )

quite a few folk in the village are seriously keen on helping with this if they can use it every now and again - we have no problem with having an " open day" for folk that want to use it ( folk we know and get on with anyway ) Seeing as the architect lad is one of them and he's really keen on the idea, along with a chap that built a holz werkstedt for his mate ... As soon as I give the word go - I'll imagine it will be up and running in no time - 3 -6 pairs of hands make light work..

Just need to find the extra dosh and it's off

Next stage :

I have a grass Driveway which is starting to get quite deep tracks from the car tyres - when I demolished the Stall out back, it had a chimney and thus quite a few burnt bricks - I've saved these and in the next few days, mate is coming with his mini bagger to scrape me  a couple of  tracks into which I will place the bricks to make a couple of brick tracks ( as well as scrape a line for the rainwater pipe  )

Before photos to come tomorrow morning - after photos once it's done.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread Toom Baumarkt has regular 20% off deals every few months.
The next offer will be at the end of this month. Simply purchase the July edition of the Rewe group Laviva magazine for €1. It contains a 20% off coupon for use at Toom Baumarkt stores on the 25th to 27th June

After a long break, plans for this year are finally going to go ahead :)

Firstly, this spring, my long needed workshop and general storage building will get started - I'll use the neighbour's wall as the back wall and build it here - 7m long, 3m deep - only outlay will be mortel and a tin roof and my elbow grease ( and eventual hooking up a power cable )

20160104_130256.jpg.090933e9423fc2e44aab

20160104_130310.jpg.653d66d3637a9f0b8d81

That should keep me busy for a good part of the spring :D

Posting limit so another post shortly

Currently doing some prep work up in my future Office / studio - mainly getting rid of years of accumulated stuff stored up there - sorting out what stays and dumping the rest .. this lot

20160104_130444.jpg.2811996b92ff2e192d00

First of all, I'll rip up the floorboards, cut ' em small with an electric chainsaw and they'll heat the upper floor via the kamin next winter  - treat the joists with holzwurm stuff then re-floor the loft completely.

I've alway wanted a ginormous desk, so I'm going to build one approx 1.5m deep and 5 m long between two vertical beams - to the left of this one

20160104_130433.jpg.d972b1c2d75a5351801a

and to the right of this far away one :

20160104_130509.jpg.e16ba73221066dbdd43a

The chimneys will be "framed" - with fermacell platten with rock wool on the inside against the chimney ( to insulate them better ).

Plan is to do the rest of the walls with regips platten which will be painted white white white - joints to be covered with thin wooden strips stained dark for a sort of "landhaus stil " effect - also, some of the rectangles they make will have built in "light tables" or light rectangles ( backlit white perspex ) which I'll fill with some of the thousands of slides from my Dias days. At least, that' s the idea so far - it may change at some point - will have to wait and see how it looks once the walls are on and painted. Floor will be oiled dark.

Some more pics in another post as I've reached the limit

28 minutes ago, Mr.G said:

Firstly, this spring, my long needed workshop and general storage building will get started - I'll use the neighbour's wall as the back wall

Get your neighbour's consent to that first, in writing.

While you're at it, check whether you don't need a Baugenehmigung  (= building permit) to build such a workshop in your village.

View to the front :

20160104_130548.jpg.69b0eb4b522be196d88a

and view to the back

20160104_130559.jpg.b69588834a740d262555

There's another two windows - one in the sloping roof and one on the south side - I've deliberately kept the north side window free as that's where  my desk and monitor system will sit

To be continued ...

12 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Get your neighbour's consent to that first, in writing.

While you're at it, check whether you don't need a Baugenehmigung  (= building permit) to build such a workshop in your village.

Done already and anyway, turns out that his back wall is on my land - he has a 50 cm strip that's actually mine according to the vermesser :D

In actual fact though, as the back pillars are on my land and not actually touching his wall, I don't need it - but like you panda, I tend to think better safe than sorry;)

No building permit necessary - less than 30sqm grundfläche - ditto roof - none needed here and yes, I checked and have it in writing - they'll likely send someone to measure it once it's done at some point.

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

Dont insulate the chimney!!!

It will help with heating the loft area!!!

The chimney is too high - It has a known problem with condensation on the inside of the flue from the kamin on the ground floor - the condensation occurs when it loses temperature at the higher reaches of the chimney - that's why it'll be insulated so that it doesn't lose heat to the loft space and thus keep the heat levels up in the flue - the heat from the second floor will more than warm the loft up if the floor entrance is left open.

You can see the gunge on the lower part of the chimney in this pic - see the brown grunge on the far chimney ?

20160104_130509.jpg.e16ba73221066dbdd43a

Dats why ;)

1 minute ago, PandaMunich said:

Sorry, but the only sure way to avoid Versottung is to insert a stainless steel pipe into the chimney (= Edelstahlrohr in den Kamin einziehen).

It will have a small pipe at the bottom to let the condensed water drip out.

Please also read this: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/209874-badeofen-water-heater/?page=2#comment-2351239

That's not an option I'm afraid - it was my original thought as well -however, it wouldn't be possible to connect the various Kachelofens ( which we don't use anymore but would like to keep the option open just in case ) without a shitload of very expensive and messy work. We've  measured the temps ( the schornsteinfeger has anyway ) and the upper 3m temps are a hair under the point where condensation forms, We reckon insulating it will keep it slightly over. It's worth a try anyway, the work is minimal and the cost minimal. If it doesn't work, we'll have to figure out something else.

I've actually considered simply moving the Kamin to an outer wall and putting an external  stainless steel flue there - less work, less mess and much reduced cost.

We'd then still have the option of using the kachelofens in the future if necessary, but until then, the chimney wouldn't be in use at all and could be sealed off

The central heating goes via an external stainless steel flue