As ex-US military, will I have a Schufa entry?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys

I was stationed here for a couple years. During that time I opened a phone contract using my military ID, military orders, and on base checking account. I left prior to fulfilling the contract.

I just returned to go to college here and was wondering how Schufa tracks US military members stationed in Germany. I was never registered as a citizen so would the phone contract be negative on my schufa? From my understanding you have to register in Germany in order for you to have a Schufa but nothing states anything about Americans that are stationed here briefly.

I'm registering for my residence next week and then going to try and open my first German bank account and just wanted to know what I should expect.

Mailny I'm wondering how Schufa tracks non residents because I did live off post but like I've mentioned a few times I never registered as a resident due to being in the military it was never a pre-requisite.

Thank you in advance

I doubt your military status had any influence on the creation of a Schufa entry. Back then they will have stored personal information like name, day and place of birth. When you try to open your bank account the bank will ask for these information and likely able to access your existing score. Schufa will also get your new address this way.

That said, I'm no Schufa expert.

Yes I thought of that also; however everything I've read says you have to be registered in Germany for them to track you on Schufa. If they just go off of your name and birth date then isn't it possible that there could be more than one person with the same information. I would assume they would need a one of a kind identifier such as a social security number like we use in the states or possibly a passport number.

Yes I thought of that also; however everything I've read says you have to be registered in Germany for them to track you on Schufa. If they just go off of your name and birth date then isn't it possible that there could be more than one person with the same information. I would assume they would need a one of a kind identifier such as a social security number like we use in the states or possibly a passport number.

...and birth place (city/town/state).

There is no social security number (well, there is, but it's only used for social security, not for identification).

Also, German citizens can't change their names (only via marriage).

have you tried at SCHUFA online to check if and what info about you is stored?

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi there.

If you had a phone number you are likely registered with SCHUFA. My company uses SCHUFA every day and all we normally need to find people are for them to have a German phone number.