Germanwings Flight 9525 crashes in French Alps

520 posts in this topic

Can understand someone wanting to commit suicide but take the lives of so many other innocent people at the same time in this fashion is really difficult to get my head around. Right now I can only think pure evil.

When I visited a former nuclear weapon base in central Ukraine (now a museum) I was told that both officers in charge of launching the rocket (they were in deep mine underground) had guns, so that if one of the officers appeared to be a foreign spy the other could shoot him. It was total paranoia but now it makes more sense to give guns to both pilots.

When I visited a former nuclear weapon base in central Ukraine (now a museum) I was told that both officers in charge of launching the rocket (they were in deep mine underground) had guns, so that if one of the officers appeared to be a foreign spy the other could shoot him. It was total paranoia but now it makes more sense to give guns to both pilots.

The cockpit door is bulletproofed since 9/11, I am not sure how this would help at all in this situation...

12.07pm GMT12:07

Andreas Lubitz is named as co-pilot

Co-pilot is named as Andreas Lubitz by prosecutor.

With decompression risk, guns on board is not a good idea. Maybe tasers but then the crazy one can taser the normal one. More psychological checks maybe. Difficult for me to imagine there are commercial pilots actively now working that are this crazy.

Watch Mythbusters, they did a special on the "bullets cause plane decompression" myth. It *is* a myth - any handgun bullet, even through a window, will NOT cause a catastrophic decompression. Just a small, whistling, harmless hole.

But this is not taking us anywhere - I do however agree that improved mental screening of pilots might be an idea.

Bullet can shatter the cockpit windscreen and this would suck the pilot straight out at high altitude.

Thanks shall give Mythbusters a lookin.

I just read this, thought it may be interesting for some:

http://yournewswire.com/nasa-high-alert-as-massive-asteroid-heads-to-earth-on-friday/

CBC just reported that the passengers knew what was happening and the screams can be heard on the voice recorder.

Holy fucking shit! :( :( :(

Yeah, because more guns is always the answer to everything.

The cockpit door is bulletproofed since 9/11, I am not sure how this would help at all in this situation...

With decompression risk, guns on board is not a good idea. Maybe tasers but then the crazy one can taser the normal one. More psychological checks maybe. Difficult for me to imagine there are commercial pilots actively now working that are this crazy.

No, I don't support the guns idea, either. Just wrote that now it doesn't look completely nonsense.

Not sure if screening would help. What will definitely help is different cabin security design. Why it was possible to lock it for the other pilot?

I do no want to hear that recording and will avoid it however I can.

I would listen to the recording (does anybody have a URL?), but not before I'm safely home.

Don't want to lose it in public.

(EDIT: Oh, I had understood it already had been made public. Sorry.)

As to cockpit security, from what I read it seems to be possible to override the lock from the outside with a special keycard (to save an unconscious pilot etc.). However, in this case, a conscious and possibly insane pilot could (and maybe did) override the override - the external access could be turned off. That takes extra doing from inside the cockpit.

The whole setup makes sense for a hijacking situation - the cockpit always has one more defense than the outside. But here it may have horribly gone wrong, as this security model is based on the pilots inside knowing what they are doing.

Some info here about the co-pilot.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/everything-we-know-about-andreas-lubitz-107127