Germanwings Flight 9525 crashes in French Alps

520 posts in this topic

According to the radio news this morning, Lufthansa have not confirmed this. It could just be journalists making stuff up again.

Remember a few years ago an Egyptian copilot seemed to deliberately crash a plane while shouting "Tawkalt ala Allah".

Kinda hard to avoid a similar suspicion if a pilot was locked out and the plane was flown into the ground.

It is a dilemma. How to keep hijackers out of the cockpit but ensure pilots can easily get back in even if their colleagues go postal.

I guess the easiest solution is to have a 1-out-1-in policy where if a pilot/co-pilot needs a jimmy riddle, one of the flight crew goes into the cockpit while they're away.

This accident sounds eerily familiar, too...

29 November 2013 – 33 fatalities

LAM Flight 470 entered a rapid descent while en route between Maputo and Luanda and crashed in Namibia. Preliminary investigation results indicate that the accident was intentional. The captain made control inputs that directed the plane to the ground, shortly after the first officer had left the flight deck.

http://news.aviation-safety.net/2013/12/22/list-of-aircraft-accidents-caused-by-pilot-suicide/

Hopefully they find the flight data so they can rule in/out such subterfuge here...

even if their colleagues go postal

The colleague doesn't even need to go postal, he could simply be unconscious due to something as common (as in non-hijacker/pilot gone crazy rare) as a heart attack or other medical emergency.

If in the end this plane went down because one pilot got locked out of the cockpit while the other had a medical emergency, there is something very skewed about our fear of terror vs. our common sense. What are the chances of a hijacker getting past security screening prior to flight + airport security vs. the chance of a pilot having a medical emergency? It points to just how soundly terror has won.

Apparently the flight crew could have cancelled the cockpit door lock using a keypad, although the person in the cockpit can override this!

Even if the person in the cockpit did have a medical emergency, it doesn't explain why autopilot was overridden and the plane pointed towards the ground.

Unless the pilot had a heart attack at the same time as the autopilot malfunctioned and the other pilot was locked out of the cockpit. Truly an omnishambles...

Good point Lunerberg. But also what are the chances of a plane load of passengers sitting down and accepting their fate if a plane is hijacked. Has there been a hijacking since 911? Sometimes safety causes more danger than the danger it tries to solve.

We simply do not know yet and trying to guess the investigation conclusions based on press reports is pointless.

It seems that at least one pilot was locked out of the cockpit, and the condition and or location of the other is unknown. Maybe pilot 2 was unconcious, or maybe had also left the cockpit, or maybe was suicidal... we just dont know.

What we do know if that there was a tradgedy which will be investigated by people with access to more information, more experience and more time than us.

There's just been a press conference...

Marseille prosecutor says co-pilot put plane into a dive

Brice Robin said the identification of the bodies has started, but the second black box has still not been found. There is a transcript of the last 30 minutes of conversation between the two pilots, he says. The first 20 are amicable. Then it gets laconical. The pilot asks the co-pilot to take over. The pilot leaves for a “natural call”.

While alone the co-pilot accelerates descent. He used keys of monitoring system to speed up descent, it was voluntary. We hear a number of appeals by the pilot to get access to the cockpit but there was no access. He knocks on the door but there is not response. There is the sound of breathing from co-pilot until impact.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/mar/26/germanwings-plane-crash-investigation-press-conference-live-updates-4u9525

This is horrendous. My heart breaks most of all of the parents of those kids. I keep thinking of them throughout the day. Yes, it's terrible for all the relatives and friends but sending your child off on a wonderful exchange trip in Spain and you can't wait for them to come back all bubbling over with excitement only for THIS to happen... some crazy pilot chooses to destroy the most precious thing in your life. Just beyond agony.

Oh Lord... I had been thinking of a medical emergency in the cockpit myself.

Now the medical emergency may have been mental issues. Would a pilot truely commit suicide and take the entire plane with him?

How about this:

I do know pilots in the US may not fly if they are taking medication for depression and other mental issues, and suspect it is similar in Europe. What if that caused a pilot to *not* take needed medication, fly, and then lose it, as it were, while in the air?

Or is terrorism returning with people patient and wealthy enough to go to flight school, and unlike 9/11 *get a job* as a pilot?

Very scary... now people will be afraid of those they need to trust most on a plane.

Oh crap :(

I've just seen on the Beeb website that the pilot was (deliberately?) locked out of the cockpit and the co-pilot wanted to destroy the plane.

Please tell me this isn't true.

BBC website

It also says the names of pilot & co-pilot haven't been released so I don't want to guess too much right now, but it looks like they're at least getting somewhere with the voice recorder.

Yep,

Seems like the co-pilot voluntarily put the plane on a descent and has denied the overriding code to open the cockpit door.

The prosecutor mentions that the co-pilot was breathing until the crash. First names of the pilot and co-pilots were released Patrick and Andreas.

We will know likely in a couple of years what likely happened but it the meantime it seems once more a human error.

As far as I know a pilot committing suicide that way happened at least twice. Once in Japan and once in the US.

I am due to fly tomorrow evening. This news does not make me happier to fly. A technical defect can be fixed and prevented again. A psychological issue with one of the key people on the plane is hidden until it is too late.

:(