Germanwings Flight 9525 crashes in French Alps

520 posts in this topic

Well yes, as you can see I wrote that it will be possible. My point wasnt that we wont be able to, but rather that it is very hard to predict what society actually will do.

Only a few years ago plenty of people were predicing that we would all be branded with barcodes. Now that seems ridiculous and people think we will be chipped. in fact even that is old hat and quite likely we will go to biometrics. By the time that is really properly rolled out who knows, but I think its safe to say we wont be getting a barcode on our forheads.

I won't link to it as it's in the Daily Mail (and yes guilty as charged, I went there!) but I suspect this one is true... and won't be the only case. Seems they found a mobile phone, and looked at the chip card and the last few minutes, screams and a thumping in the background which is probably the pilot trying to break down the door, are recorded on the chip. I suspect that quite a few phones with intact chips will be found and that any doubt that the pilot was locked out will be dispelled. But how horrible, how devastating, for the relatives... I can imagine being torn between wanting to see the last happy holiday (or other) photos, and hearing that final panic. Honestly. From bad to worse.

Bild and Paris Match were the only media outlets that saw it. Here is the English Bild link:

http://www.bild.de/news/ausland/flug-4u9525/absturz-englische-version-40379746.bild.html

The data carrier with the video sequence that survived the crash apparently unscathed was found on the crash site by one of the investigators. The video is an important piece of evidence!

The authenticity oft the video is unquestionable, although the scenery on board is chaotic, totally blurred and no individuals can be identified.

►The audible screams prove that the passengers on board knew what desperate situation they were in. One can hear the cry „My God“ in several languages.

►The video also seems to confirm what the previous analysis of the voice recorder states: You can hear at least three clearly metallic sounding strikes. Apparently the pilot trying to break open the cockpit door with an ax or another metal object – until the very end.

►Just before the end of the video the aircraft seems to be touching a mountain. It looks like the cabine gets blown to the side. Once again you can hear people cry – then the video ends.

I won't link to it as it's in the Daily Mail

Why not??? You have linked to and perpetuated every other piece of voyeuristic journalism associated with this tragedy and then have the gall to say how terrible it is for the relatives of those that died. In my opinion people who participate in spreading this bile are just as bad as the people who write it or those who provide the information to so called newspapers :angry:

Going back up the thread a bit, anyone who visits, links to or quotes from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ should read this and then consider whether it's worth believing anything they may have read there.

Not news I know but there still seems to be people out there quoting "The Mail" as a serious newspaper.

Why not??? You have linked to and perpetuated every other piece of voyeuristic journalism associated with this tragedy and then have the gall to say how terrible it is for the relatives of those that died. In my opinion people who participate in spreading this bile are just as bad as the people who write it or those who provide the information to so called newspapers

Why are you reading this thread, if you feel that the news, the facts as they are revealed, is nothing but voyeurism? It seems to me, since you are so pure and free of any sort of interest in the crash, you should unsubscribe from this thread and leave the discussion.

It so happens that I as a frequent flyer I AM interested in every crash, and how it happens, and the risks involved in flying, if any. I want to know what happened and why. If you don't want to know, then turn away and stop pointing fingers. Pot, kettle, black etc.

Now you are just being obtuse! There is a world of difference in reading a thread on this accident on one hand and on the other sensationalizing every piece of information that emerges, linking to it and then sympathizing with the relatives. It smacks of glee and duplicity. How is a supposed video of the final moments of the crash going to help you decide whether to fly or not, and what the risks are? Rubbish.

A few people on this thread have been doubting whether or not the co-pilot was to blame. Whether we are too quick to judge him.

This latest bit of news helps put that view into perspective. No, it was NOT the machine at fault. It was the co-pilot, and deliberate.

That is important to know, for those who doubt the safety of the airbus. This is only the second bit of real evidence, and substantiates the first (the black box).

My landlord had a flight booked for Portugal later this year. He has since told his wife, who had booked the flight, that he will not fly under any circumstances, ever again. Because of this crash. So yes, the circumstances of the crash do influence peoples' decisions. Not mine, because I know this ws a one-off, and won't repeat itself so soon. I will be flying long haul in less than two weeks.

The whole point of a thread on a news story is that members add bits of news as they emerge. This is the case with all news stories, not just this one. News storis get constantly updated. This latest was a serious piece of news. What is "sensational" about it? It solidifies what we already suspected.

The news I posted was not in any way sensational garbage. A chip card with info on it is evidence.

We are ALL intersted in this story, those reading this, because we can all identify with both the passengers and their relatives. Because we CARE, because we FEEL. It's called empathy. Ascribing "glee" to my post is what I call sensationalising and troublemaking. I feel no glee, just utter sadness and horror.

I think you are just being a drama queen. Why suddenly pick a fight? Let it go!

I know it is difficult for people of limited intelligence to understand how this video helps minimize the risks of flying as it is for them to read media like the daily mail and understand what maybe true, bs or pure speculation. If one reads something like a plane crashed you can be pretty sure they are writing the truth. If one reads that George Clooney is a self confessed cannabis smoker, however widely it is reported elsewhere, then you can take it with a pinch of salt.The release of this video helps keep this story alive and hopefully in the faces of the German airline industry and puts pressure on them to get their act together asap. Difficult to quantify I know.

And by the wasy, topcat, I really don't see what an ad hominem attack on another poster has to do with anything. Off topic and irrelevant.

Crashing and killing everybody on board. Sorry, I totally disagree with that, however much their actions doesn't seem to bother you.

Yeh I really dunno what you want them to do or have done differently? Constructive suggestions please!!

Everybody spouts "two on the flightdeck at all times" this like it is the "doh!" obvious miracle solution, but in fact by forcing this step you are inviting a member of the flight crew onto the deck on just about every flight (i.e. one or other pilot is liable to take a comfort break).

Just as likely that a cabin crew has suicidal or nefarious intentions as a pilot. In fact much easier to become a cabin crew with 6 weeks training than it is to be a pilot. Increases the chances of a nutter from 1 in a million to 1 in 300,000. Assuming you rotate the flight crews that sit up front it suddenly becomes maybe 1 in 100,000

The assumption is that the "non-crazy #2" can fight off the "crazy #1" but with a little planning and maybe some pepper spray I don't see an issue.

The complete safety plan for hundreds on the plane then rests upon 1 to 1 unarmed combat in a locked cockpit (high chance it is man on woman)....and the "crazy" always has the element of surprise and planning.

The flight deck with 2 rule in the USA is more to assist with monitoring of people coming through the door. I only see it helping in the case of "passive" suicidal pilots.

For me everything is fine. It was one of those things that happens. Tragic for those involved but the numbers speak for themselves this was a freak one in many million occurance.

Had me not had kneejerk reactions to 911 we wouldnt have secure doors and this might have been avoided. If we keep our heads and dont listen to people like you we might avoid future tragedies too.

Flight was safe before, and is safe now. Panicing and changing stuff just to placate people who dont undersand risk is not a good thing.

Edit: this is a reply to a comment BattalionBoy has now changed. But I stand by it, even though the phrase "everything is fine" out of context looks crass.

Back then kids were allowed to sit in the cockpit. Not now, now every kid from the age of 1 month is a potential terrorist.

Isn't this society verrückt?

I'm a nervous flyer, but I refuse to let my fear of flying stop me, otherwise I wouldn't go anywhere. I'm flying to Dublin this evening (at least the wind has died down!) and already I notice I'm more nervous than usual.

I also don't like reading a lot of what the newspapers have to say, it is often pure sensationalism just to sell more of that particular newspaper, however I come on here and read the bits and pieces of information other people post from newspapers/TV, personal experience, or wherever and I appreciative that some people are willing to do that.

We all have choices, if somebody doesn't want to read what's posted, then don't. In a thread with such a heading, there will obviously be references to different types of media, some we agree with, some we don't, but that, thankfully, is the society we live in, free to choose.