Germanwings Flight 9525 crashes in French Alps

520 posts in this topic

Then switch off your radio.. TV and internet...

That solves your problem..

Maybe he wanted his name to be remembered

A girlfriend of his from a few years ago quotes him as saying that he was going to do something to change the system and that he would be remembered for it.

A girlfriend of his from a few years ago quotes him as saying that he was going to do something to change the system and that he would be remembered for it.

How many people haven't said something like that at some point, especially in their teens or twenties, which can later be misconstrued?

I shouldn't have to. The news should be reporting on the news. Authorities should not be feeding droplets of speculations to the press. That shit is not news and I find it disrespectful for the families directly involved. Between reading speculations about the co-pilot or hearing the stories about the victims, I prefer the last, but ultimately we should move on from this story at least until the official report is published and back-up with thorough research and hard facts.

agreed - it's really turning into a freak show at the expense of so many who are already hurting (including the perps family) :(

and yes, this tabloid style trolling with bits of unsubstantiated data is disgusting. Data that even if it were substantiated would not lend one whit of a reasonable explanation for what this man did.

But that is the bottom line really: there is no REASONABLE explanation for his behavior and there never will be. It's easy to think that crazy people should or can behave in some prescribed way, but they just don't. This idea that "he should have taken his sick day", "he should have gotten more help", "he should have informed his employer that he was having mental problems" "he should have just killed himself without harming so many others" - basically suggesting "he should have behaved in a more reasonable manner". But mental illness by it's very nature causes a person to be unreasonable and it's very hard to predict how that will play out, even when professionals are doing the evaluation.

I have a dear friend who was being treated for "normal" depression when she had her first psychotic break. She literally and completely lost her mind in a split second moment in time for reasons no one can explain let alone imagine. She was not "acting normal" prior to this episode nor "hiding her illness", one day she really just snapped into a state of complete psychosis. She is sweet person, and a teeny slip of a thing but at times she was so violent during this break that she basically had to be knocked out/sedated for everyone's protection. There is simply no way to grasp the magnitude of something like that if you've never seen it or experienced it.

it is so very very sad

Call me hard hearted but I want to hear at what speed the plane crashed into the wall, why it crashed, speculation as to the co pilot's mental state. Pictures of how bent the metal on the black boxes was. Information on how hard the recovery conditions were. Pictures of rescue worker's absailing into ravines.

A story of heroism would be lovely, but as there's nobody to save, and the pilot who I'm sure tried his best failed to smash the door in, we're starved of that. But I was delighted when I heard the passengers had taken control of flight 93 on 911. Even if they didn't save themselves they did save others.

I don't want to hear what a loving husband, sweet child, gifted violinist the victims were. That might me get me involved and sickened but is frankly more likely to bore me.

Does anybody seriously want to hear victim tributes?

I have a dear friend who was being treated for "normal" depression when she had her first psychotic break. She literally and completely lost her mind in a split second moment in time for reasons no one can explain let alone imagine. She was not "acting normal" prior to this episode nor "hiding her illness", one day she really just snapped into a state of complete psychosis. She is sweet person, and a teeny slip of a thing but at times she was so violent during this break that she basically had to be knocked out/sedated for everyone's protection. There is simply no way to grasp the magnitude of something like that if you've never seen it or experienced it.

it is so very very sad

This is a complete derail but relevant to the mystery surrounding mental illness -- and how it can attack without rhyme and reason. When I first saw this documentary, I was flabbergasted, It just doesn't make sense that not one, but TWO women can survive running into a motorway and being hit hit by cars and then behaving the way they do. But it happened, and was documented by the BBC live -- they happened to be doing a documentary with the police at the same time. It left me with my jaw hanging, and still does. Truly, the human mind is beyond understanding, and when it descends into madness there is nothing we can predict. (Warning: it's long, but fascinating. ANd it's Sunday, and you have nothing to do, and we have talked out this Germanwings story, haven't we?)

Madness in the Fast Lane:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/madness-in-the-fast-lane/

If I am in a transatlantic flight I wouldn't expect that I have to straighten my seat every time the person behind wants to stand up, I do not think the guy was unreasonable.

I agree with you. But on a transatlantic flight just week weeks ago, I had the same problem and I am not mobility challenged or overweight. I blame the airline and the seat layout. But then again, I paid only $850 RT for a US to Rome flight.

I (185 cm) would not mind to pay 10% more if in return I get treated like a human and not like a pig on a truck to the slaughterhouse. Actually, I'm at the point o avoid flying because it's just so inconvenient now. 6-8-12- hours in cage.That's what it has become.

The CVR ( Cockpit Voice Recorder ) has already been found, that`s what they are basing everything upon.

According to PresidentHollande, the casing of the Flight Data Recorder has also been found but missing the memory card, this, ( as far as I know ) hasn't been confirmed yet.

If you look at this pic of the CVR, the sonar pinger is the tube on the left of the box

If i remember correctly, the news I had heard about a missing piece of the flight recorder was very early on following the crash. Had it been deemed that the missing vital piece may remain undetectable (too small, likely to be damaged beyond recognition?) . therefore making it necessary to draw conclusions from only the voice recorder? Every kind of dirt has been spread about the co-pilot as a result. Of course this makes no difference to the extreme grief of the families. The pain must be unimaginable and no amount of analysis will make any difference. I felt horrendous grief over the Cyprus to Athens flight that crashed in 2005 as my father had flown on the flight just before it. My heart goes out to all relatives of the victims, including the co-pilot's.

@sosarx - everything else about the flight was really lovely. First time for me on that airline and I was impressed with the food, the comfort of the seats, amenities, etc. No one likes being on a plane for an extended period of time, but it's totally worth it to me when I'm on vacation in beautiful places.

and yes, this tabloid style trolling with bits of unsubstantiated data is disgusting.

They do this because they know that the masses will lap it up. Just like some are doing here & elsewhere.

I had to take a break from this thread for a bit.

I've read the most current serious articles online, and most of the answers here. Just a few thoughts:

- Even though the conspiracy websites have lapped up the "mind altering drug" argument, there is a *grain* of truth in it.

No, not "loss of reality, treating life as a video game".

Instead, as I learned in my psychiatry courses long ago (meaning the medical community already knew this a while), antidepressant drugs *can* have side effects. Bear in mind, they are supposed to lift the mood, and help the person get into motion again, and in many cases they do it well. But some badly depressed people get into motion enough to finally carry out a suicide plan. It is a known risk in treatment, and has been studied.

Mind you, most suicides/attempts are done alone, and many if not most are cries for help and attention.

But it is conceivable that treating a depression also could unmask deeper trouble that would have needed medical care in its turn.

In this case, narcissistic and sociopathic tendencies already have been suspected... it's turning into a guessing game now as to what happened, but hopefully forensics will find out if drugs were taken by the co-pilot.

tl;dnr: Medication *could* have triggered the co-pilot as a low possibility.

- As to the torn up sick notes and not knowing the diagnosis, let's have a look at a German sick note:

Also known as Gelber Schein / Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung, it consists of three pages. The top, longer page states name, duration of sickness, doctor and DIAGNOSIS OF THE DISEASE as a short ICD code. Anybody can look it up! That is followed by a copy of the page, and the third, shorter, page WITHOUT the diagnosis is the one to give to the employer.

Thus, the authorities don't have to ask doctors/hospitals and fight with German confidentiality laws - once they found the tornup notes, they knew the diagnosis!

I read today in a leading newspaper that yesterday, it was revealed by police that Lubitz suffered from a ‘severe psychosomatic sickness’ that required the care of several neurologists and psychologists and police said they took away a plethora of medicines from his apartment in Dusseldorf and from his parental home in the small Rhineland town of Montabaur. Seriously how much more evidence does anyone need? All you skeptics out there must be a pretty sad lonely bunch if ever there were one!!!

I agree that it is almost impossible to believe that the co-pilot did not deliberately crash the plane, but in our modern and civilised society no one should be judged without a trial. Within minutes of the press conference Andreas L.'s parents were sentenced to a life in shame and guilt without any chance to defend the child they just lost.

It is impossible to believe he didn't deliberately crash the plane. The only issue is whether he deliberately murdered 150 others or was delusional and thought something else was happening.

but in our modern and civilised society no one should be judged without a trial.

How much evidence do you need??? There is a stage in life you have to accept within reasonable doubt what occurred otherwise you would literally NEVER convict anyone of anything.

Hitler committed suicide and never had a trial so maybe he wasn't guilty then either by your rules? How can people keep saying nasty things about him?

@silty1 sorry it was the Daily Mail but I assume they can't just make these claims without it being true. Watching the UK documentary about the Swedish lady twins kind of illustrates that anything is possible. I am really surprised that for airline pilots at least, the German authorities do not have access to their medical records. Surely that will change after this. I can see lawyers using this to reduce company liability or is the company liable just a set amount per person as per this Montreal agreement.

I read today in a leading newspaper....it was the Daily Mail

that would be "leading" in the sense of "leading the witness"

I assume they can't just make these claims without it being true.

Dangerously naive, BB. Even when a newspaper aims to print the truth, the truth is often tainted by the subjective language used by journalists, by the choice of what to print and what to leave out, etc etc... And many newspapers are also not actually interested in printing the truth - they are interested in printing what sells. Spinning out a story with more and more revelations... Some newspapers go so far as to deliberately print untruths, knowing how hard it is for anyone to get a case against them, and prepared to pay out in the few cases when they are found guilty.

While it doesn't always hold true, as a general rule of thumb in a situation like this, the first ones to print a story tend to be those who don't value checking their sources that much. In the case of early information in the British press, they are also often quoting a German newspaper which doesn't check its sources, but regularly comes up with the most sensational aspects of any story first. Check to see if others are running the same story.

It is going to be very hard to answer the WHY, as so little of that is ever based on certain fact. So the media can have a field-day.

I generally watch the ZDF coverage of this kind of story - they are fairly reserved and prefer to go late with details than catch the scoop. They are also, incidentally, still blurring the photo and referring to the pilot as Andreas L - I assume they are trying to make a point about their seriosity with that, as they of course know everyone else has long since gone public.