Germanwings Flight 9525 crashes in French Alps

520 posts in this topic

"I don't see any need to change our procedures here," Spohr told journalists. "It was a one-off case. But we will look at it with the various experts at Lufthansa and the authorities. We shouldn't lose ourselves in short-term measures."

Beh. He has to say that, otherwise if they suddenly change the rule now it will look like they were lapse and culpable.

Clearly, as in the USA, this rule will become mandatory and then Lufthansa will *reluctantly* accept the new regulations.

The world would be a safer place if everyone had a gun ... er taser. We could then disable dangerous flight crew and finally defend our knees from the evil recliners in front of us.

Common sense in Lufthansa is still used, not emotions:Among the companies that did not announce such a policy change was Germanwings parent Lufthansa (LHAG.DE), whose CEO Carsten Spohr said he believed it was unnecessary."I don't see any need to change our procedures here," Spohr told journalists. "It was a one-off case. But we will look at it with the various experts at Lufthansa and the authorities. We shouldn't lose ourselves in short-term measures."His comments drew criticism on Twitter, with some people demanding the airline introduce the two person-rule.People, please stop! It has already happened. Do you understand? It has happened.

They have changed their mind already:

"Lufthansa (LHAG.DE) said it will introduce new rules requiring two crew members to be in the cockpit at all times after one of the pilots at its Germanwings unit crashed a plane in the French Alps."

This has become a marketing competition. It doesn't matter if it is really safer or not. If customers believe a two in the cockpit rule is safer they will prefer to fly with airlines that have that rule.

Clearly, as in the USA, this rule will become mandatory and then Lufthansa will *reluctantly* accept the new regulations.

Its up to EASA to set "rules" & it not necessarily a given. They don't knee-jerk. If anything its slow-motion.

Wait for the first depressed pursor to knock the remaining pilot over the head with an axe (there is one in each cockpit) & then all will clamour for X, Y or Z also to be in the cockpit & the pilots wont be able to concentrate on the work in hand.

How did he then make all the subsequent control inputs whilst locked out on the other side?

You seem to have missed the sequence-

left him slumped over in his seat still breathing, set the plane to crash and left the cockpit.

On the subject of now requiring two crew members in the cockpit, where in the heck will they find that many unemployed pilots?

And the far greater danger continues to be the idiot on the road talking on their cell phone and not paying attention...

I wonder how many weeks / months it will be before a TV "documentary" with emphasis on the ghoulish details will appear & join the series of "Best-of-Air-Crashes". Probably Hamburg will make this into a musical (they do with everything else) :(

And the far greater danger continues to be the idiot on the road talking on their cell phone and not paying attention...

Because so many do that its "acceptable". People only really worry about the minor risks.

Nearly got rammed this morning by an enormous LKW turning right at lights with the driver holding his "Händy" to his ear with one hand.

You seem to have missed the sequence-

On the subject of now requiring two crew members in the cockpit, where in the heck will they find that many unemployed pilots?

The crew includes the cabin crew, i.e. flight attendants, so 1 pilot and a steward while the other pilot is indisposed

Another option would be for example that all large aircraft have the facility that they can be taken control of from the ground (over riding any nutjob flight deck input) and automatically landed. ATC watched this Germanwings aircraft go down.

The crew includes the cabin crew, i.e. flight attendants, so 1 pilot and a steward while the other pilot is indisposed

Well that would suck. It takes long enough to get drinks as it is.

Seriously though, what an unbelievable tragedy. Those poor people and their thousands of friends and family. I cannot imagine.

Another option would be for example that all large aircraft have the facility that they can be taken control of from the ground (over riding any nutjob flight deck input) and automatically landed.

Great - so the terrorists can take over & crash into any AKW (the coordinates of which are published) without any risk to themselves!

Another option would be for example that all large aircraft have the facility that they can be taken control of from the ground (over riding any nutjob flight deck input) and automatically landed. ATC watched this Germanwings aircraft go down.

Stop with the suggestions. All you are doing is replacing the nutjob in the cockpit with a nutjob on the ground. Only now he doesnt have to be suicidal.

That maybe the case, but IMO and at all time someone else should be in the cockpit if one of the pilots have to leave, should be compulsory and yes they should pee before they start to fly and not just after take-off

OMG what is wrong with you tosser that negged me for a simple comment? your obviously a little disturbed yourself, better put nappies on as suggested

Fear, fear, fear. It has happened. The next time something like this happens, it will be something very different that nobody could imagine, certainly not TTers. Shit happens. We will never ever be able to prevent all catastrophes from happening. Some will still happen, no matter how clever we are.

My son will be flying halfway around the world (Guyana to China via Europe) in about a week's time. Half that journey will be with Caribbean Airways, a name which doesn't do much to inspire confidence.

I will be flying to Guyana in about a month's time, again with Caribbean Airways.

Most probably everything will go well.

Peeps need to stop freaking out. The vast majority of flights land safely.

There are several exceptions where patient confidentiality may be breached:http://supp.apa.org/books/Essential-Ethics-for-Psychologists/exceptions.pdfhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2922345/http://ww1.cpa-apc.org:8080/publications/position_papers/records.aspA person’s right to privacy is not absolute. There are particular situations in which confidentiality may justifiably be breached. These include situations in which the patient has a specific incapacity, the patient has become a danger to him- or herself or others, the public good is at stake, or a serious injustice might occur were relevant, significant information to be withheld (17).

Which one of those applies in Germany?

And that goes double for all the chicken little rule changers sticking their oar in. We dont know, and we should make decisions once the facts are in. You are still safer, by any metric, sitting on an a320 at 30k feet than you are on your bike on the roads of berlin even if the pilot has a history of depression.

It was NOT just a history of depression. The facts in this case are quickly coming to light and they are SHOCKING. Andreas L. was being treated, "by a number of differnet psychiatrists" for severe mental health issues and was taking meds (unknown which at this point), he had medical off-work orders from TWO different doctors and for the last 2 months was a patient at Düsseldorf University Hospital.

He was aware his pilot license was likely not going to be renewed and had probably stopped taking his meds so they would not show up on the tests. This and his erratic behavior...buying two luxury Audi's apparently in a futile desperate attempt to save his relationship pushed him over the edge.

I'm all for waiting for ALL the facts to come in, but I think the airline industry is going to need to take some steps to insure certified mental patients on/off their meds are never entrusted with the lives of hundreds of passengers. I just can't understand how they could allow this guy to resume pilot training after displaying mental health issue from the start.