Germanwings Flight 9525 crashes in French Alps

520 posts in this topic

We never know when we are going to go. In the victims memory, live your life. Hold your loved ones just a second longer. We owe it to ourselves and we owe it to them. *sigh*

An absolute rollercoaster of emotions - good, the plane was okay, and nothing mechanical went wrong; bad, a person apparently deliberately did this! WTF??? WHY???

Okay, so maybe the co-pilot had some problems, but I am sure they could have been sorted out somehow. It didn't have to happen like this!!!

It must be so, so awful for the families of the victims here - bad enough to lose somebody so suddenly, but because of this???? No. no. no! this is all wrong. This is not what life is about, or should be about!

I feel anger, I feel hatred, I feel extreme sadness, and I feel lost - have I totally lost track of what people are bout and what they can do to themselves and others? Have I lost the plot somewhere?

And these are just some of my feelings.

Those of friends and relatives of those on board must bee going through hell and back , and there is nothing that any of us can do to help them. It's just awful!

My heart goes out to these people, and also to the family of the co-pilot, who are suffering, and maybe wondering where they went wrong?

So much pain. So much heartbreak out there right now.

Here's a video about how reinforced cockpit doors work on aircrafts.

The industry has already begun to implement new regulations regarding who has to be present in the cockpit.

Effective tomorrow EasyJet will require two crew members in the cockpit at all times, the airliner has said in a statement, following rule changes by Fly Norwegian and likely preceding more announcements from other companies in the coming days.

“EasyJet can confirm that, with effect from tomorrow Friday 27 March, it will change its procedure which will mean that two crew members will be in the cockpit at all times. This decision has been taken in consultation with the Civil Aviation Authority,” the statement reads.

“The safety and security of its passengers and crew is the airline’s highest priority.”

Statistically, the probability of it happening again is zero. Now all pilots will suffer: they will not be able to pee without calling for flight attendant. And all this because passengers panic.

Well, airline is one industry that always goes through changes. Remember the time when one could smoke cigarettes during flights? My dad does.

True, Erdmann. I remember when my daughter was 7 ( 1995-ish), we flew to Florida and the pilots let her stand around in the cockpit. Absolutely true. Plus I was allowed to smoke! :D ( gave it up later!)

Well, airline is one industry that always goes through changes. Remember the time when one could smoke cigarettes during flights? My dad does.

So do I, then at one time, half the plane was non-smoking, then all of it.

Yep... Them were the days...

They used to paint us purple against Rickets or sommat!

I really don't think Andreas Lubitz was committing suicide, if he wanted to kill himself he could have stayed at home, in a hotel, or any place else and done himself in. He was committing mass murder and he was willing to kill himself too commit this act.

I'm not suggesting he was a terrorist, I just don't think his motive was suicide, but instead premeditated mass murder.

I'm reading a lot of comments from people who sound like they might be pilots, but would be curious to know how many ACTUALLY are pilots.

There's always an example of the bizzare...today, tomorrow, in a hundred years. After 9/11 they changed the way Cockpit access works. What was supposed to keep us safe (reinforced cockpit doors) has become a deterrance in this incident, leading to deaths of innocent lives (I'm not saying that the door is the reason, but a failsafe would have saved the day). In 1993/4, a pilot of a Russian airline let his kids inside the cockpit leading to the death of all the passengers.

There are many examples of the most unexpected things leading to disasters (relevant to that time...today we'll be like, Allowing kids into the cockpit? are you mad? A lighter in the flight? are you mad?). We can only hope that no more of such things happen again. :(

I really don't think Andreas Lubitz was committing suicide, if he wanted to kill himself he could have just as easily stayed at home, in a hotel, or any place else and done himself in.

Well, how? Euthanasia verboten, you can't buy anything serious in the Apotheke, guns verboten. Well, the only thing to do suicide is to cut your head with chainsaw, but you need courage for this. Even just jumping from high building requires some courage. For directing the plane down no courage needed, that's why this murderer chose this method.

I really don't think Andreas Lubitz was committing suicide, if he wanted to kill himself he could have just as easily stayed at home, hotel, or any place else and done himself in, he was committing mass murder and he was willing to killing himself too commit this act.

I'm not suggesting he was a terrorist, I just don't think his motive was suicide, but instead premeditated mass murder.

I see your point and admit I have also pondered this. I have to bring up something up many years ago. The company I worked for in the 90s discovered fraud that occurred at three of our stores for about $15,000 in a span of about 10 days. The plan was genius in my opinion. I remembered telling my group manager "Wow that was brilliant, I would have never thought of doing something like that". He looked at me and said "That's because you are not a criminal.".

Who knows what goes through people's minds as they commit these actions. Suicide? Murder? Who knows.

Well, how? Euthanasia verboten, you can't buy anything serious in the Apotheke

Sure there's stuff at the Apotheke, but I don't think I should say more than that.

So you think he showed up for work with the intention of killing himself and took everyone else with him?

Is it just me, but is anyone else here who think 28 is too young to be co-piloting a jet and left in the cockpit alone?

It seems to takes men longer to mature than women, so in men years socially and emotionally he was probably about 21 even if that old. He hadn't even made it out of his parent's house yet.

Is there an age requirement to fly planes, in terms of how young?

Is it just me, but is anyone else here who think 28 is too young to be co-piloting a jet and left in the cockpit alone?

Is there an age requirement to fly planes, in terms of how young?

I've known two of them younger than him. They are quite capable. About him being alone in the cockpit, the Pilot had just stepped outside to take a leak.

Sure there's stuff at the Apotheke, but I don't think I should say more than that.

So you think he showed up for work with the intention of killing himself and took everyone else with him?

Many Geisterfahrer do exactly that, that's quite popular suicide method in Germany. The only difference is that they kill a maximum of 5 people.

Well, how? Euthanasia verboten, you can't buy anything serious in the Apotheke, guns verboten. Well, the only thing to do suicide is to cut your head with chainsaw, but you need courage for this. Even just jumping from high building requires some courage. For directing the plane down no courage needed, that's why this murderer chose this method.

Slitting your wrists. jumping from a very high building. Throwing yourself in front of a train. Hanging yourself. LOTS of simple ways.

It might not even have been premeditated. It could be he suddenly snapped while in the air. Who really knows. I guess they will rake through his computers, letters, everything to find clues.

It could have been a Gay lovers arguement...

The Captain may have been married.. but it doesn stop one from fudge packing ....

I doubt anyone will really ever know what happened and why...