Germanwings Flight 9525 crashes in French Alps

520 posts in this topic

I’ve been through such an array of emotions today, sadness for the families of the people who died, anger that someone seems to have done this deliberately, relief that it wasn’t a fault with the plane because I have to fly next week and it worried me, guilt for feeling that relief.

I also feel sorry for the co-pilot’s family, they will have to live with this for the rest of their lives knowing their son/brother/uncle did this – how awful!

It's been reported from interviews with neighbors that he was placed on forced leave due to depression/Burnout Syndrom in 2008.

A schoolmate of Andreas L. told the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung that he had taken a break because of depression.

The woman said: 'Apparently he had burnout, he was in Depression

There's a pic of the alleged murderer online...at the Golden Gate Bridge...too bad he didn't take the opportunity to take a dive off it at that time to spare the families what I can only imagine to be incomprehensible emotional pain they're going through.

What now? Are neighbours the ones who gave give valid information?

In any case the profession of a pilot of big airplanes isn't an easy one, and it takes a lot to get there. And I have no doubt that there is a huge amount of monitoring on the way to a licence.

Mass murder, terrorist- what else? Non of this will save a single life after the crash. It's as futile as to say that the "locked cockpit system" as a result of 9/11 has made this possible.

150 dead because of anti terror measures.

We have seen similar cases in the past. Not many, but still. And we will see similar cases in future. There is no way to prevent this. Just as there is no way to prevent people driving on the wrong side of an Autobahn. It's about humans. And their desperation.

I think people who jump in front of a train are pretty selfish. All the inconvenience.

Taking a plane load with you. Not cool. Seriously not cool.

How can you be so mentally fucked up as to think 150 people you don't even know deserve to die with you.

Proper suicides they make sure noone is inconvenienced and the janitor or cleaning lady finds them, not the partner, children, or parents.

And ideally they make sure their kidneys and livers are still usable, but few plan that well.

I also feel sorry for the co-pilot's family, they will have to live with this for the rest of their lives knowing their son/brother/uncle did this – how awful!

Me too, how awful for the parents. Just read the co-pilots parents were with the rest of the victims families at the disaster site as the news broke. They were quickly sequestered and are were interviewed by police and investigators. The media has descended on the family home where he lived in Montabauer and the police have been conducting a search.

There are no winners here. We can only hope that necessary changes are made. We have to bear in mind what pressure these pilots are placed under and stress being responsible for so many lives. Any indication of depression or psychological issues could result in the loss of job or, for some, worse being banned from flying. It appears this may be the case here as reports indicated the co-pilot's entire existence from earliest age centered on flying, still lived with parents at 28 etc.

I think he simply cracked.

You will find that many, if not most , suicides are committed in a way which involves others. Other victims, others who have to watch it happen, others who have to remove the smashed body parts.

Suicide mostly is not about leaving the earth as smooth as possible. It's an outcry of desperation, and it includes the accusation of others . You ddn't see, you didn't help, you didn't care. Usually not justified.

My thoughts exactly. This guy was not just suicidal. He was a damn terrorist. What happened was not simply suicide, it was a terrorist attack.

Calm down, Captain America. According to the definition of "Terrorism", until and unless it's proven that there was a motive, I think it would be considered multiple homicide. This is really a sad development, and let's not throw stones at a glass. The families, friends, relatives are really devastated right now.

You will find that many, if not most , suicides are committed in a way which involves others. Other victims, others who have to watch it happen, others who have to remove the smashed body parts.

Suicide mostly is not about leaving the earth as smooth as possible. It's an outcry of desperation, and it includes the accusation of others . You ddn't see, you didn't help, you didn't care. Usually not justified.

Not always true. A lot of people try to depart the earth in a way which will cause as little trauma and be as not-gruesome as possible.

Sometimes when a person is found in a particularly unsavory state, they were never meant to really die in the first place. It's an important part of the difference between a suicide "gesture" and a true suicide attempt. Unfortunately, too few people who really just need some attention can discern between the wish for other people to recognize how much pain they're in and the genuine wish to be dead and never come back.

I'm by no means an expert but the topic fascinates me so have done some rather strange reading on the matter. My independent research would indicate that the actions of this pilot are extremely, extremely rare for a person who really hates themselves/their lives/sees no way out/forward and wants to die. It's almost so atypical it makes me wonder how true it can be, but, now's not the time for conspiracy theories I suppose. One thing is true is that a person who stands on a freeway overpass and threatens to jump really mostly wants to be talked down. Causing a thirty-person pile-up is not usually the main goal but it does get them the attention they need/want. A not-stupid person who really wants to die is usually mostly focused on the effectiveness of the method. Some are concerned with not feeling pain. I guess the pilot really did choose a fool-proof method in the end, though.

\

We have to bear in mind what pressure these pilots are placed under and stress being responsible for so many lives. Any indication of depression or psychological issues could result in the loss of job or, for some, worse being banned from flying. It appears this may be the case here as reports indicated the co-pilot's entire existence from earliest age centered on flying, still lived with parents at 28 etc.

I think he simply cracked.

Good point. But from now on it will go in another direction ==> more stress for pilots.

I know this is controversial view point in such a tragic situation. Isn't it questionable to so quickly pin the blame on the co-pilot? According to reports, little debris nor the second flight recorder have been recovered. The co-pilots parents and partner were on the way to the crash site with other relatives of the victims when the news emerged and they had to immediately return to Germany for their safety. If this is true, wouldn't the authorities investigate further before announcing such a dramatic explanation? Would they not have investigated any possible terrorist connection and psychological profile. Would a proven technical fault potentially seriously damage the aviation industry? Would it be least damaging to blame a young, relatively inexperienced pilot who lives at home with his parents and partner, no children and is said to have been a quiet and decent chap? Not to mention that he had supposedly had a break in his training due to possible burnout/stress. Without any detailed investigation, this dead man is branded a psychologically damaged mass murderer purely from the evidence of a voice recorder. Was the early morning supposed leak from the air crash investigators merely a prelude to the bigger picture? Is this all too quick and convenient an explanation?

Honestly, I would really like to wait till they recover the second black box (about the flight details), do a background check of the co pilot's interactions in the past year, get in touch with the doctors who did his medical examinations, before I have an opinion. I guess people who lost their loved ones won't be that patient. :(

Well, I take no pleasure in pinning the blame so early and I agree we should all wait until the investigation is complete but there is simply no rational explanation HOW the door could be placed in LOCK mode thus disabling code entrance other than deliberate action.

Actually, I can imagine... would it be possible that the co-pilot had a heart attack and vainly attempting to flip the switch to OPEN erroneously hit LOCK before passing out???

It's been reported from interviews with neighbors that he was placed on forced leave due to depression/Burnout Syndrom in 2008.

Considering how common a diagnose Burnout Syndrome is in Germany, that doesn't mean much of anything. I am sure though it will be picked up by the international media as a serious sign of imminent disaster, and lead them to incessantly question why he was allowed to fly.

I know this is controversial view point in such a tragic situation. Isn't it questionable to so quickly pin the blame on the co-pilot? According to reports, little debris nor the second flight recorder have been recovered. The co-pilots parents and partner were on the way to the crash site with other relatives of the victims when the news emerged and they had to immediately return to Germany for their safety. If this is true, wouldn't the authorities investigate further before announcing such a dramatic explanation? Would they not have investigated any possible terrorist connection and psychological profile. Would a proven technical fault potentially seriously damage the aviation industry? Would it be least damaging to blame a young, relatively inexperienced pilot who lives at home with his parents and partner, no children and is said to have been a quiet and decent chap? Not to mention that he had supposedly had a break in his training due to possible burnout/stress. Without any detailed investigation, this dead man is branded a psychologically damaged mass murderer purely from the evidence of a voice recorder. Was the early morning supposed leak from the air crash investigators merely a prelude to the bigger picture? Is this all too quick and convenient an explanation?

There's hundreds of aviation crash investigators working around the clock on this tragic accident. I doubt they would have announced this today if there wasn't some degree of certainty Andreas Lubitz was involved. So I don't think it's questionable they made the announcement without completely finishing the investigation.

Announcing he did it, instead of some technical failure, isn't going to minimize damage to the industry at all. In fact, I'd would have rather they'd announced mechanical problems than an employee of the company. Somehow I can fathom an extremely large metal tube suspended in air having mechanical problems and crashing, but an employee of the company who's been entrusted with all those lives is frankly incomprehensible.

I doubt in the end when the investigation is finished Andreas Lubitz will end up being their scapegoat.

There's too many clues, the lack of a mayday call from the aircraft, the sudden drop in altitude, the information from the voice recorder box that will eventually be made public because the survivors or the courts will demand to hear it, the flight commander supposedly being locked out of that cabin, and mental health issues reported with the co-pilot.

It wouldn't be smart to pin this on Andreas Lubitz either without certainty as I don't think his family would allow this without some concrete evidence either.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg as to what they'll eventually discover about Andreas Lubitz.

let's forget the twat that did this for a moment and focus on the victims - a quick rundown of them can be read here

considering this just happened and the victims came from all over, I thought the list was a pretty decent effort