Germanwings Flight 9525 crashes in French Alps

520 posts in this topic

Just spotted this on Sky news: http://news.sky.com/story/1451536/passenger-plane-crashes-in-france-reports

Sounds horrific. :( This kind of stuff usually happens in faraway places... My thoughts are with the passengers, crew and their loved ones.

the Independent is reporting that the French PM says no survivors

Under a sort of shock as GW is my almost everyday airline. Wonder what happened? I hope they do somehow find survivors.

Really shocked, travel with GW every month, and I kind of like it too.

Whats even worse is their website is not opening now, and the twitter account hasn't been that helpful. This will cause more confusion.

At this point there is nothing else to say. No point speculating about what happened.

Looking at the synoptic weather charts seems to rule out weather. I wonder what the distress call said.

I hope this tragedy didn't happen due to malfunction of the pitot tubes.

An A321 of Lufthansa nearly crashed last fall due to these , a problem with ice. The plane virtually fell out of the sky and the crew only could avoid the crash , 1000 m above ground, by shutting off the flight computer and fly "manual".

After that incident, the type pitot tubes (not the first time) had to be replaced on most LH planes.

What a horror. I hope there are survivors against all odds, even though chances for that seem to be exceedingly slim.

Kind of surprised about the age of the plane.

May I remind that the speed of Airbus A320 is 800 kmh. Which survivors are you talking about??

I was in Barcelona with some friends this weekend. On Sunday, I flew back to Munich and they flew back to Dusseldorf.

This has somehow brought this really close to me.

Sending out thoughts on all of the affected families and friends.

May I remind that the speed of Airbus A320 is 800 kmh. Which survivors are you talking about??

Actually the cruising speed of an A320 is 828 km/h, but an A320 can fly at speeds as low as 207km/h. Obviously the chances of surviving an accident at 200km/h are still very low, but much better than 800km/h. The actual crash speed could obviously be anywhere in between, but is more likely to be at the lower end of that range.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of the deceased. A BIG BIG Shock.

Lately hearing too often news about plane crashes. Hope there is nothing sinister to this crash as the weather was perfect.

Germanwings website is closed down, with only the following message. They could at least update the English version!

Wir müssen leider bestätigen, dass Flug 4U9525 auf dem Flug von Barcelona nach Düsseldorf über den französischen Alpen verunglückt ist. Es handelt sich um ein Flugzeug vom Typ A320. An Bord waren 144 Passagiere und 6 Crew-Mitglieder. Lufthansa und Germanwings haben eine Telefon-Hotline geschaltet: Unter der kostenfreien Telefonnummer 0800 11 33 55 77 können sich Angehörige von Fluggästen melden und werden dort betreut. Alle Mitarbeiterinnen und Mitarbeiter der Germanwings und der Lufthansa sind in tiefer Betroffenheit mit ihren Gedanken und Gebeten bei den Angehörigen und Freunden der Passagiere und Besatzungsmitglieder.

We have recently become aware of media reports speculating on an incident though we still do not have any own confirmed information. As soon as definite information is available, we shall inform the media immediately. Please monitor our website www.germanwings.com for periodic updates.

Oh no! Seems there was a school class on board.

http://www.focus.de/panorama/welt/airbus-absturz-in-frankreich-viele-schueler-aus-nrw-an-bord_id_4566789.html