Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Using a German mobile phone in the UK

6 posts in this topic

I've just searched the old posts as I remember a thread about using your mobile phone in the UK, but I can't find it. :huh:

Does anyone know if and how you can do this? I'll be taking my two kids back to Scotland next month and driving up from Newcastle. I would like to have a phone if possible incase of any emergencies or breakdowns etc.. I have a "pay as you go " phone here. Ta!!

With "pay as you go cards" such as Call Ya, it's not always possible to go roaming. In cases where it is (and if I remember rightly, that is the case with Call Ya) you still sometimes need to get them switched free, as this is not always the default case.

As ADI warns, watch out for the costs, they can be astronomical, especially with a prepaid!

Sandra

I would check with the phone people if it is pay as you go.

I used to have a pay as you go phone and although the roaming was activated I had problems making calls and sending messages most of the time. I could however receive calls. Maybe it has something to do with how much credit you've got on the phone. My phone was with T mobile.

You could do what I did if you are going to the UK every year and buy a UK pay as you go sim card and put it in your phone. I got one from One 2 One at the time and it cost me 20quid. It also meant that people could phone me without it costing me the earth and I wouldn't be without it when I go to the UK.

Hope this helps :P

CallYa or XtraCard both worked fine with roaming for me but ONE thing is crap: Even if you get called in a foreign country, you have to pay a certain amount of the costs aswell. So if you run out of credit, you can't even receive calls anymore. So make sure, there is enough on the phone, though nowadays you can buy the cards probably in UK also.

In theory you should be able to use your phone in any country that has a GSM network. The only conditions are that you have credit on your account, your account is enabled for roaming, and there is a roaming agreement between your home network and the network in the other country.

I've used my T-Mobile contract card with no problems in Sweden, Denmark, Finland, France, Austria, UK, Czech Republic, Italy, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.