Tricks and traps from Deutsche Telekom

68 posts in this topic

Berlin people may disagree, as they were the guinea pigs, unlike this time where it's the whole of the republic.

As Berlin were the guinea pigs in this transition, when does the rollout to the rest of Germany occur. I would think that they Telekom would roll this out in regions of Germany rather than the whole, all at the same time. The question is. Does anyone know the schedule of the rollout of this new service in the different regions/cities/states of Germany?

They are currently doing it in the ~50 largest cities that were getting FTTC/VDSL from Telekom starting in 2006. All those VDSL customers without VoIP will be canceled at the very latest next year. All other DSL+non-VoIP customers will be canceled at the latest in 2018 according to the current plan. More detailed plans are not publicly available.

I had the changeover last week. It was relatively painless, thanks to my precautions.

As I said previously, I insisted that a technician come out and take care of the equipment for me - and it's a good thing I did, too, because although the ditzy Telekom representative who took the order saw that we have an ISDN wireless phone system, she neglected to order an ISDN adapter. The technician was intimately familiar with this situation and had a pile of spares in his car. If I hadn't ordered the technician, I would have been without phone service until I was able to obtain an ISDN adapter from another source (after figuring out what the problem was in the first place).

Aside from that one hitch, everything is working great. The new Speedport 724 is much better than the 920.

As Berlin were the guinea pigs in this transition, when does the rollout to the rest of Germany occur.

My comment about Berlin people being guinea pigs referred to the rollout of DVB-T in response to lapsus alumni, not the ongoing cancellation process, detailed by sneaker. Sorry for the confusion.

If I hadn't ordered the technician, I would have been without phone service until I was able to obtain an ISDN adapter from another source (after figuring out what the problem was in the first place).

Whats an ISDN adapter?

It's a box that you have to plug in to one of the Ethernet ports of the Speedport router (the 724) if you want to continue using your ISDN equipment.

post-47703-14276531570862.jpeg

According to the Telekom technician, the 723 is ISDN-capable.

According to Telekom the "ISDN Adapter" is only compatible with Speedport W724v "and newer". (I assume "Speedport Hybrid", which is the only newer Speedport as of now.) So using it with w723v might not work. The w723v is "ISDN capable" but it means something else:

ISDN Adapter: to connect local ISDN phones despite using VoIP

W723v: to connect DECT/Analog phones despite using ISDN

Yeah... but many that are being upgraded are getting the latest routers too...

Thanks for that Mr Jeffo, I didnt know such a device was available!

G

Got a call from Telekom about my cancellation last week. We went through some details of my installation, me pointing out amongst other things that my 8-port VPN switch in the cellar doesn't support IP telephony. The lady said they'd be able to sort something out, but hasn't called back yet. Only a couple of weeks before I switch, as I want to get it sorted before I go on holiday, and at least a month in advance of the termination.

Also note that with the new VIOP service, people who call have to use the Prefix number!

my Clients used to call 905 393 76  if they lived in Munich (089) area..

Now they are forced to dial 089...

Got a call from Telekom about my cancellation last week [...] the lady said they'd be able to sort something out, but hasn't called back yet.

Never did hear back from the lady or anyone else, so I initiated the swtich to 1&1. Promptly got a call from a slightly stroppy bloke at Telekom who demanded to know why I wanted to cancel my contract. Refused to believe me that they had cancelled me, rather bizarrely, so I told him to check his records. After that we got a few more silent calls (no-one speaks when you answer) from the same Telekom number.

Upon returning from my holiday, I have a total of three letters from Telekom confirming my wish to change to another provider and they will therefore cancel my contract at my request. I have a further letter, dated the same day as the other three, confirming that they have cancelled my contract due to the POTS switchoff and that I will have no connectivity if I don't do anything.

In short, they right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at Telekom and people in or near big cities are the guinea pigs.

I just got connected by Telekom on Thursday finally after having lived in my new house without internet for 3 months. A breakdown would be 2 weeks for KabelD to figure out they don't have cable here, another 7 weeks waiting for Kabel D to release my number to Telekom and another month for Telekom to accept the number and make the appointment to port it over.  If I had been told at the start it would take that long, I would have shelled out the extra 70€ and gotten a new number... anyway..  

Now that I have it, the internet works, the telephone works.  This is good.  However, the TV that I am also paying for is not because the receiver they sent me claims it is not getting a signal from my satellite dish.  However, I am watching TV with that same satellite dish with a cheap receiver from Real.  I phoned them on Friday evening and they said they will have the technical dept. phone me Sat. morning at 10 am.  Well.. they did not call.  I phoned them yesterday afternoon and got a person after about  a 30 min. wait on the phone.  She said she needs to transfer me to the technical dept.  After another 20 min. wait, their system told me I should call back later and hung up.  I guess I'll try again today and every day until I get some answers.  Their receiver is saying my signal is 0.  My receiver says it's 70-80%

Continuing my long-running saga with Telekom, they appear to have reached a new low. Got a call from 1&1 to tell me that since I initiated the switch to them at the end of my Telekom contract, Telekom have now "forgotten" that they wanted to cancel my contract and are now attempting to enforce another year's rollover of my previous contract.

Well, it's kind of what I wanted actually, but just 'wow', how bad customer service is that? You cancel your customer and when they take their business elsewhere, you say screw you, you're staying. Impressive.

It's a friend of mine's turn to get his Telekom line upgraded to a "IP-basierten Anschluss".

I went with him to the Telekom shop and they told us that we could:

1. Buy a new router from them (the old boxes won't work)

2. Rent a new router from them. That's the option they recommended (no wonder, it's the one they get the most revenue from)

3. Get your own router to install yourself after the change the connection.

The price for option 1 was something like 250 euros, so I am researching option 3 to save my friend some money. He needs to have WIFI and connect an analog phone and an analog fax machine to the router (two different numbers).

The fruit of my research is that he should probably get a Fritzbox 7490. I was looking at the Fritzbox 7430 but I suspect the latter will not work because it only has one analogue phone socket and I believe he needs two (one for the phone and one for). The Fritzbox 7490 costs about 200 euros, so it's not great savings.

Has anyone gone already through the process of connecting his own Fritzbox to an all-IP connection and can give me some further guidance? Is there a cheaper option than the FB 7490?

Is he using VDSL or only ADSL(2+)? Without VDSL the cheaper Fritz!Box 7272 will suffice.

What are the WiFi requirements? No all routers have simultaneous 5 GHz ac wifi.

Is the phone a DECT handset? Many Fritzboxes have an integrated DECT base station. You can then connect handsets directly and the single phone socket for the fax will suffice. Then you can buy a cheaper box like 7430 or 7362 SL (latter is cheap on ebay). Personally, I'd probably buy 7362 SL or pay the extra money for the 7490. It's often on sale for about 160 Euro. Should be worth the upgrade from 7272, has 5 GHz and as long-time top model will probably receive good firmware support for a long time and retains good selling value.

Which "Speedport" did the Telekom recommend to you? They mostly sell Speedport W724v and Speedport Smart, those are only 115 and 130 Euro on Amazon. Not 250. Only Speedport Hybrid should be that expensive. Older ones like W723v or W921v still work and are dirt cheap on ebay.

Thanks @sneaker I am not sure about VDSL or ADSL. I've checked the Telekom website and his address is shown as having MagentaZuhause available (up to 50MBits/s [optional mit Fernsehen]). It doesn't say if its ADSL or VDSL.

I thought the phone wasn't DECT because it's so old, but I've googled a bit more and it turns out it is. It's a Gigaset 3015.

He doesn't very demanding Wifi requirements. The most bandwidth intensive thing he does is watching Netflix streamed over Wifi but the TV and the router are in the same room so no great range is required. There's also very little interference in the house from other Wifi networks (just 3 or 4 at most are detectable).

I don't remember which Speedport was recommended. The 250 euros was including installation. I think 150 for the Speedport and 100 for the installation (or something like that).

50 Mbit/s is VDSL. If he orders 16 Mbit/s it will be only ADSL2+, though.

26 minutes ago, Smaug said:

I don't remember which Speedport was recommended. The 250 euros was including installation. I think 150 for the Speedport and 100 for the installation (or something like that).

Ok, that makes sense. Probably the Speedport 724v, then. You know you can order the Speedport without the installation package, right?

If you want to play it safe just order the Speedport Smart from Amazon. Not *that* expensive, good DSL modem, not outdated, officially supported by Telekom, decent WiFi and 2 analog sockets in case you have trouble getting the DECT to work. If you want dirt cheap buy 7362 SL, W723v or W921v from ebay.

Fritz!Box is mainly useful if you need some extra features, e.g. UPnP for consoles or something like that.

Does he really need a physical fax machine? The 7362 SL for example has limited virtual fax capabilities, which may satisfy his needs. If it's just to receive faxes (as it often is) then the functionality should almost certainly suffice. 

Recently changed to Magenta Zu Hause.

One disadvantage of the Magenta Tarif - which I have only just found out the hard way - is that you lose the ability to make call-by-call calls.

So now I have to pay €0.029 / minute for calls to New Zealand instead of (currently) €0.0148 / minute (obviously it varies).

That might not seem a lot to many of you but it means quite an increase for me.

Moral: If you're keen on changing to Magenta Zu Hause, think twice.