Tricks and traps from Deutsche Telekom

59 posts in this topic

Sorry Mods.. You may aswell delete this snipit of info..

There are too many arse-wipes here...

I think Telekom are being very fair about it. I've been reading about the ongoing conversion to all-IP in the press for some time now, so when someone from Telekom came knocking last month, I just listened to what she had to say, which was all very reasonable. I'll be able to keep the same service VDSL 50/ISDN service I have now at the same price, and will keep all 5 of my phone numbers, but I'll need a new router and my current splitters will likely be removed.

When I said I work from a home office and can't afford any interruption in service, she offered to send a technician to do the switch for free. Technically the technician's visit will cost EUR 99.95, but they're giving me a credit of EUR 120.00 to compensate, so I actually come out ahead on the deal. I'll also get a new, upgraded Speedport router with gigabit LAN (my current router is 100Mb), which will allow me to take part in WLAN to Go for no extra charge.

Like SpiderPig says, ignoring stuff like this is never a good idea.

I havent had any letter or phone call but it does seem I have lost my connection and right now I cant even get through to a service person, even using my mobile, (which is from a different provider) I would be fine if some communication had happened!! And I am seriously in trouble come tomorrow when I have clients to speak with by Skype ;-( am just trying to keep dialing to telekom but I think maybe I am one of many?!

any suggestions / tips? ps I am really not very good at German speaking so when one service person answered my call and I could not communicate well he simply hung up on me ;-(

Apparently T-kom sent a letter telling him to agree to the new connection ( and new contract) or they will cancel his account!

No, the old contract will be terminated either way as either he or (more likely) Telekom had given notice. He is free to choose a new provider or to enter into a new contract with Telekom.

And I am seriously in trouble come tomorrow when I have clients to speak with by Skype

What about using your cell as a hotspot to access the internet/skype?

my hot spot is not very good quality - I think may be able to piggy back on my neighbours wifi, will ask them when they get home - still not able to get through to Tel-kom though ... might have to give up for now and enjoy the sun and not stress too much! :o

Now... If we did this to T-kom, I am sure all hell would let lose!

People cancel their contracts all the time. Hell did not break lose.

So, if you get a letter like this, Then do not ignore it.. Reply and tell them you want to keep the connection as you do not wish to start a new 2 yr contract!

You cannot keep the current contract. This is all part of Telekom's great scheme of switching everyone from POTS/ISDN to VoIP. At the moment mostly VDSL customers are effected because they are to be switched to VDSL Vectoring 2016/2017 and need new contracts anyways. Either you agree to a new contract or they will shut your connection down. There is no way to keep the existing contract.

my hot spot is not very good quality - I think may be able to piggy back on my neighbours wifi, will ask them when they get home - still not able to get through to Tel-kom though ... might have to give up for now and enjoy the sun and not stress too much!

You could ask Telekom for a free LTE-SIM card for data. They are currently giving it away for 2 months (5GB/month).

And I am seriously in trouble come tomorrow when I have clients to speak with by Skype ;-(

For incoming Skype calls at least, you can ask Skype to forward them to a phone number (such as your mobile). You have to pay the per-minute costs, of course..

Most of this thread has gone now, but I just got the letter threatening me with cancellation of the contract. There's no information about when this will be done, and the number given in the letter for queries is permanently busy, apart from a few times when I got through and it cut me off.

Anyway, I'm heartened that there may be some leeway in providing a new router for free, as I'm pretty annoyed that they're 'improving' their network when as a customer I'm having a line taken away and need a new device just to even keep a phone line. There's little actual benefit in terms of use.

Being as my house has four floors and the master telephone socket is in the cellar, from where telephone and network are patched around the house, I think I also have a logistical problem in how to continue anyway - the routers are designed to be next to your phone, but that doesn't work for me, as I have no network socket on the ground floor and powerline is distinctly flaky due to multiple phases. Moreover, I still want to patch the network around the house and need more than four ports for that.

How long did other people have between the first letter and the end of their old contract?

I think I also have a logistical problem in how to continue anyway - the routers are designed to be next to your phone, but that doesn't work for me, as I have no network socket on the ground floor and powerline is distinctly flaky due to multiple phases.

AFAIK, even if you have a VoIP line, the router converts it to a regular old-fashioned analog line, which you can then distribute around the house using your existing set-up. In other words, as far as you are concerned, what comes out of the router is exactly the same kind of analog line as before.

How long did other people have between the first letter and the end of their old contract?

The contracts only ever end at the end of the (current) minimum term. In the Kundencenter it should be visible in the "Anschluss & Tarif" section.

AFAIK, even if you have a VoIP line, the router converts it to a regular old-fashioned analog line, which you can then distribute around the house using your existing set-up. In other words, as far as you are concerned, what comes out of the router is exactly the same kind of analog line as before.

Yes indeed, I will just need an adapter to convert the TAE or RJ11 on the router to the bare patch wire leading to the phone socket, and of course you won't see the status display. Just need to make sure I get a router with two analogue ports.

The contracts only ever end at the end of the (current) minimum term. In the Kundencenter it should be visible in the "Anschluss & Tarif" section.

Thanks, unfortunately my Kundencenter displays "Ihr angemeldeter Anschluss & Tarif konnte leider nicht ermittelt werden. Bitte versuchen Sie es später noch einmal. " and has done since I took out the contract (originally Jan 2008, later changed to VDSL25 when it became available in Aug 2010, then changed to VDSL50 option in Mar 2011, so if the last one counted as a new contract then it'll be up pretty soon, assuming the usual 2 years + 1 year automatic renewal. If I can get hold of the right person on the phone I will ask them.

SpiderPig, it's too bad that you edited your post, now I don't know if Telekom Deutschland GmbH tried the same trick with you as with me.

First, on 19 February, one of the door-to-door sleazeball salesmen pressured my daughter into signing a change of contract. Even though she told him that her signature is not valid under a contract where I am the receiving party he accepted her signature. I cancelled this - invalid - request for a change of contract on 21 February, leaving TDG with a legal flea in their ear.

Then, after having received the cancellation, TDG sent me a confirmation for change of contract dated 25 February. I called the service number, waited maybe six minutes on hold and then spoke to a very nice service lady who told me that this was not a door-to-door contract with a signature, this change of contract was requested by me in a telephone call on 25 February.

Unfortunately for TDG, I had witnesses for almost every second of the day who could confirm that I did not speak to TDG; also, the land line that they would have called me on was not connected to the router.

Meaning that TDG fraudulently claimed that I had agreed to a change of contract and tried to tie me to a 24-month new contract.

PSA to everyone out there: If you get a letter from TDG or Deutsche Telekom with the subject Auftragsbestätigung make sure that you understand its implications and act fast.

SpiderPig, it's too bad that you edited your post, now I don't know if Telekom Deutschland GmbH tried the same trick with you as with me.

He wasn't tricked, Telekom legitimately canceled the contract of one of his clients. Said client ignored the letters and was surprised phone and Internet were cut off.

Thanks, unfortunately my Kundencenter displays "Ihr angemeldeter Anschluss & Tarif konnte leider nicht ermittelt werden. Bitte versuchen Sie es später noch einmal." and has done since I took out the contract (originally Jan 2008, later changed to VDSL25 when it became available in Aug 2010, then changed to VDSL50 option in Mar 2011, so if the last one counted as a new contract then it'll be up pretty soon, assuming the usual 2 years + 1 year automatic renewal. If I can get hold of the right person on the phone I will ask them.

Sounds like it will be August. They will send more than one letter and they can't just threaten to cancel, they actually have to send a cancellation letter and adhere to the notice period. Of course they want to keep customers if possible, not cut them off on short notice or make them angry by sending a cancellation out of the blue. First you get nice letters.

What a typical German or Yorkshirelad6 answer..

I have many clients who can be away from their residence on buisness trips or working at their head offices for more than a month at a stretch..

My client got the letter on the 3rd feb.. cut off on 8 March...

Yes, this letter. How many did he receive last year?

Regardless, Telekom isn't "tricking" anyone. They don't want to lose customers and send out cancellations hoping you are out of the country so they can finally get rid of you.

I don't see anything wrong with what they're doing, in principle at least.

They won't be offerning a certain product any more and they are informing their customers, repeatedly and well in advance, that they have the choice of either letting their existing contract lapse or migrating to their new product.

The default (i.e., if they don't hear back from the customer) is to let the contract lapse. From a legal point of view, this is probably a much safer option.