Quiche recipes

33 posts in this topic

A Quiche recipe

For the pastry (I have never seen shortcrust pastry in a german shop)

2oz butter or baking margarine

pinch of salt

4oz plain flour (german type 405)

For the filling

4 rashers bacon chopped

1 medium onion peeled and sliced

2 large or 3 small eggs

1/4 pint full cream milk

2oz grated cheddar

1 tomato sliced (optional)

You also need a flan tin or quiche dish. These can be found in kitchenware shops but are also in IKEA where they cost a lot less. This recipe is enough for an 8 inch diameter dish but can easily be scaled up or down.

Begin by greasing the flan tin or dish. Then using butter or marg straight from the fridge cut it into small bits and rub the flour and salt in. It should resemble a crumble mixture. Add a few drops of cold water so it forms a soft but not sticky dough. Knead the dough lightly, avoid getting it too warm (difficult in this weather I know) and then put it in the fridge for 1/2 hour before rolling it out and lining the flan tin or dish.

Gently fry bacon and onions. Allow to cool a bit and spread evenly over base of flan. Beat together eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper. Pour egg and milk mixture over bacon and onion. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top. Arrange tomato slices on top.

Bake at 220C in the centre of the oven for 10 mins then reduce heat to 190C for a further 25 mins or until filling is set.

Once cool the quiche can be frozen.

That's the basic recipe. I have tried a number of variations using german ingredients. These are the most sucessful so far.

1. Leek and cheese quiche

Leave out bacon, onion and tomatoes. Replace milk with equivalent quantity of creamed leeks (Rahmporree - found frozen in german supermarkets) Replace cheddar with emmental or gouda if you have too.

2. Spinach and cheese quiche

Same as leek and cheese but use Rahmspinat and a milder cheese. If you use a cheese that cant be grated then blend it into the egg and milk mixture.

3. Pepper quiche

Leave out bacon, onion, cheese and tomatoes. Replace milk with 200g flavoured quark (paprika flavour) and thinly slice a red or yellow pepper to go on top.

4. Mushroom quiche.

Leave out bacon, cheese, onions and tomatoes. Replace at least some of the milk with sour cream. (Saure sahne 10%fett is OK). Fry about 2 cupfulls of mushrooms, drain off excess liquid and stir into the cream and egg mixture before pouring into the flan.

And if in the end you don't have time... I have seen Quiche Lorraine hiding in the frozen food departments in HIT and Globus but I have never sampled it so can't tell you if its any good.

Whenever I cook quiche for Germans I get asked "Was für ein Teig ist das?"

To which I answer "Es ist ein pie Teig" because as far as I can tell shortcrust pastry doesn't exist in german baking and there is no real translation.

this might be a good idea to get Ed Bill to add somewhere that we can post recipies permanently. ;)

maybe we could start on in the blogs ?should be somewhere that should not have comments added though otherwise it will get too hard finding the recipies :D

You have a good point there bulldog because this post will soon be 'invisiblised'.

I don't really know how interesting recipes are to the board in general but I would suggest anyone planning to use this should print it before it dissappears.

I am happy to post recipes but not the same one over again.

would be a good idea to keep recipes in the same way that curry are kept.

Has anyone got a good recipe for oatmeal flapjacks?

It's too much work to make a page like the curry page that allows new recipes to be added.

Instead, I've created a new weblog. You can find it through the "blogs" link on the top of this page. If you want to add a recipe, please send me a PM and I will create a weblog login for you. (The logins for the weblog are separate from the forum).

Thanks for setting up a recipe blog. I will add a recipe for oatmeal flapjacks soon.

Just bumping this thread to point out that there are now a load of new recipes on the recipe blog...

i'm embarking on making a quiche lorraine. i got the recipe from wikirezept (so it is in german). i used 30 g too much butter for the crust. i just misread the recipe. is that bad? it's still in the frige, about to pull it out.

also, the recipe said to do something called "blind baking", so putting beans over the dough. i don't have any beans. can i use rice, for example or leave out this step (although I get why they do it).

EDIT: Just realized this thread is from 2004! Who was Editor Bill again :D

The crust might be a bit greasy but it probably won't make much of a difference. I don't think rice would work for blind baking, it's not heavy enough. You could poke the pastry with a fork before baking it and make sure to press it down a bit after it came out of the oven. The beans just keep air bubbles from forming. The quiche recipes I use just have you pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell, actually, so that might work too.

didn't think anyone would be on TT this late on a friday night, so thanks westvan! you're always so helpful!

(p.s. recipe above also has nothing about baking the crust beforehand)

didn't think anyone would be on TT this late on a friday night,

It's either this or watching a karate movie on TV with my husband. :lol: (Actually, I'm supposed to be writing Christmas cards but I'm not in the mood)

Well thank you Elfenstar for finding my Quiche recipe. I was quite annoyed when it dissappeared.

If you put 30g too much fat in the pastry in you could try to compensate a bit when you roll it by using a well floured surface and roll and fold a few times until it wont absorb any more flour. Then roll it really well to avoid layers forming.

My recipe doesn't need any blind baking and nothing terrible happens. You may get better results if you use the oven on a fan setting.

@ rebecca - i just put in "quiche" in the search and it came up with 3 entries. quite an old thread! :) btw, this type of pie crust is called "mürbteich" in German (although I'm sure you figured that out since 2004). anyhow, it wouldn't roll out, so i put the dough outside to cool more than it did in the fridge and i finally could roll it out into a 4-5 mm thick crust. i used a pie pan cause my spring form was too wide. then i baked it for 10 minutes before i poured the mixture in. after 30 minutes the quiche was still way to watery, so then i turned on the fan and within 10 minutes it poofed up and the topping had the brownish-cooked egg look I recalled. I'm still a novice baker.

bf and i had a slice and it was edible. but i think one slice is 500 calories?

also, i made quiche lorraine, used only smoked-ham (speck) bits already chopped up (gladly, I boiled them in hot water then drained them so it wouldn't be too salty), creme fraiche and egg. but lots of recipes had using milk and cheese instead. i guess you can substite one fatty milk product with another?

I don't blind bake any of my pie crusts unless I was using for one for something with pudding, where it wouldn't bake at all.

Yeah, who is the Editor Bill guy? Is this the Real Ed. Bob or just an alter-ego?

If your quiche didn't work using Wikirezept then try using mine. The pastry needs half an hour in the fridge to stiffen up enough to roll.

My recipe was originally posted on another board and for a long time it vanished. Maybe I should search and see if my flapjacks recipe has also been restored.

Just for you, Rebecca.

I have just read it. Can you really use honey? I used to use golden syrup.

As the Lyles is so expensive, I was thrilled to find relatively cheap German "Goldsaft". All yellowy goldy syrupy tubs. So, I bought a few tubs of it.

How was I to know that in Germany "Goldsaft" is BLACK treacle? :angry:

i made another quiche on saturday for a party - leeks & mushrooms. to stiffen up the dough, i put it outside. that worked better. i was also in a hurry! it was a combination of the recipe on wikirezept and smitten kitchen blog, a random blog i found. i was about to buy a quiche dish, but it was 26 euro for a fancy porcelain one. i'm sure i can find something less expensvie elsewhere. anyhow, i needed more salt for sure. i prepared the leeks and mushrooms as the blogger suggested. i also used only 3 eggs instead of 4 (but kept creme fraiche quantity). obviously, it wasn't as fluffy as the last one, but some recipes called for grated cheese and 3 eggs only, so i didn't think 1 less egg would make such a difference..

also, i need practice with the crust or i'm just going to settle for the already-read crusts (blätterteig). if i do do a homemade crust again, i'll either have to pre-bake it properly or try to just pour the stuff in.

i wish i could get it right the first time! then again, a quiche is so easy to make, i think i might just expertiment with it for the next few weeks until i find a recipe/combo i like the most.

I found this pie-dough recipe to be really easy and used it for Thanksgiving. What makes it nice is that you don't have to worry about working with it too much, it won't get tough, like the ones that use shortening. I also did not mix it up on the table, just dumped the cut up slices of cold butter into the bowl with the flour in it. Used a wire whisk to cut the butter into the flour, then dumped it onto the table and added the exact amount of water that it called for. Very, very easy to roll out.

The One Pie Dough to Rule Them All: chez pim