Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Ronnie Spector

1,955 posts in this topic

By chance, I watched Bogdanovich's movie, The Cat's Meow, last night. It purports to tell how Tom Ince, a Hollywood producer, was killed on Hearst's yacht during a partying weekend. Ince's death has inspired rumors for almost 100 years. Bogdanovich's skill is obvious, the stars understand their jobs, and it's a slick flick.

It's also a good addition to Citizen Cane and RKO 281. The latter tells a fictionalized story about how Orson Welles and Herman Mankiewicz wrote and defended the former movie, finally getting RKO to release it. Liev Schreiber, John Malkovitch, Roy Scheider.
Bogdanovich's movies had their ups and downs, but they're worth watching.

If you have never watched  In the Heat of the Night , now is a perfect time to do so. New York policeman Sidney Poitier going up against racist sheriff Rod Steiger. Great stuff. No  meaningless sex scenes, no unnecessary violence and no special effects. Just great acting

Oh wow!

I can still watch In the Heat of the Night (Rod Steiger) and Guess who's coming to Dinner (Spencer Tracy & Katherine Hepburn) and they're as fresh today as they were back in the day. Because Sydney out-shone all his fellow actors in both films. I don't normally get emotional about film actors dieing, but this one hurts.

RIP.

I first saw  Sidney Poitier in "To Sir with love", with a young Lulu.

Sir Sidney, as a Bahamian he was knighted by the Queen.