Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Edita Gruberova, Coloratura Soprano

1,916 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, pappnase said:

I bet the ZX Series of computers gave a bunch of UK folks my age their start into computing. 

C65 man myself.

Sadly Jimmy Greaves passed away today aged 81.

Probably the best English goalscorer ever and for us of an age will be well remembered for Sat Afternoons Saint and Greavesie.

On 17.9.2021, 08:20:41, yesterday said:

I will never forget playing General election on one of mates spectrum, while  Margret Thatcher was trying to win her second term in power, maybe 1893, that took about 8 hours to play and was very gripping 

Wow, she (and you) obviously older than I thought...

:ph34r: 

On 9/15/2021, 8:49:46, MikeMelga said:

Norm MacDonald died age 61.

One of my favorite comedians!

Likewise. Everyone has their tastes and all, but his oddball, meandering, deadpan delivery (of sometimes intentionally corny jokes) was, for me, hilarious. There are few comedians who could roast and cut to the bone like him. His appearances on Letterman and Conan were always highlights, and I generally followed his podcast and Netflix stuff too (now I will finish them!). I don't care about celebrity much, but Norm MacDonald's death is a big hit. RIP.

There are endless clips to reminisce with, but here he is, earnestly discussing his take on disease publicity -- at a time when was deep into his cancer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAp-igcRhMQ