Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Joey Jordison Slipknot Drummer. Dusty Hill ZZ Top Bassist.

1,867 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2021, 9:52:52, klingklang77 said:

Dustin Diamond (Screech from Saved by the Bell). 44. 

As I was reading aobut Rumsfeld, google popped up other deaths in 2021. I know this one was months ago, but didn't notice then. Dustin Diamond's death eclipsed by far more prominent people. I wasn't a huge fan of Saved by the Bell as a kid, but my sisters were so I watched it a zillion times. Always found it tragic the way the geeky Screech's real-life wound up, and then to die of lung cancer so young. Yeesh. 

But back to Rumsfeld... I'm sure plates of complimentary sweets are being passed out, with lots of horn-honking in Baghdad today.

Wasn't Rumsfeld the guy who said that there are things we know, things we don't know and things we know we don't know?

19 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Wasn't Rumsfeld the guy who said that there are things we know, things we don't know and things we know we don't know?

Yes, although ancient Greek philosophers toyed with the idea, right down to legal scholars and psychologists of the last few decades. (It is kinda profound when you really think about it -- but he should have taken it one step more: you also don't know what you don't know). I suppose Rumsfeld was trying to channel his inner Socrates, but just ended up a slightly more polished, Dubya, sneering rather than goofy.

3 minutes ago, alderhill said:

Yes, although ancient Greek philosophers toyed with the idea, right down to legal scholars and psychologists of the last few decades. (It is kinda profound when you really think about it -- but he should have taken it one step more: you also don't know what you don't know). I suppose Rumsfeld was trying to channel his inner Socrates, but just ended up a slightly more polished, Dubya, sneering rather than goofy.

I always thought it was a valid statement and interesting to think that there are things you know you know little or nothing about, and stuff you are totally unaware of in the world.

I guess the joke was on the people who laughed and thought he was an idiot for saying that.

Isn't it strange that no one seems to be calling Dubya stupid any more... 

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Coincidentally, someone was wondering about the difference between History and True History™ the other day.   

Oh look, that piece comes from The Atlantic, whose Editor-in-Chief Jeffrey Goldberg, was cheerleader in chief for the second Iraq War.     The Atlantic also employs David Frum, who wrote the infamous "Axis of Evil" speech for George W. Bush, as a Senior Editor.   

Hilarious.   😂