Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Rick Jones, Fingerbobs presenter

1,915 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, robinson100 said:

- apparently he went in to isolation early, and will fly with a private jet... or so it said on the news yesterday...

I'd have no problem believing Phillip has been dead for some time and the news was only released a couple of days ago.  Then everybody would have had plenty of time to isolate.

I'd also have no problem believing rules don't apply to royals.

Nothing like a good scandal.

16 hours ago, robinson100 said:

- apparently he went in to isolation early, and will fly with a private jet... or so it said on the news yesterday...

Your supposed to self isolate, for 10 days in the UK

Source  Entering the UK: Quarantining when you arrive in the UK - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

There is not 10 days, between Phil dying and the funerial, so rules will have to be bent

Remember last year when SP mother ( sadly ) died and he could not attend the funerial,  law for the Royals and law for the rest of us

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I guess the funerial will be held in private  Windsor castle chapel, so if Harry is isolating in Winsor castle, maybe he will be allowed to just go to the funeral, still bending the rules thou

...with a source telling Us Weekly that “Harry feels guilty for not being there to say goodbye to Prince Philip in person."

I don't trust much in anonymous sources but if this is true, welcome to the other millions of people who haven't been able to say good bye to their loved ones during this pandemic. Same thing.

4 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I'd have no problem believing Phillip has been dead for some time and the news was only released a couple of days ago.  Then everybody would have had plenty of time to isolate.

I'd also have no problem believing rules don't apply to royals.

Most likely he was told (possibly when Phillip left hospital) that time was tight and that if he wanted to see him before he died he needed to get back fast, so went into isolation. Phillip then defeated him and went before isolation finished, but still gave enough time for Harry to return in time for the funeral. 

Maybe the casual racism just wasn't as endearing as Phillip thought it was.

On 11.4.2021, 13:42:44, yesterday said:

There is not 10 days, between Phil dying and the funerial, so rules will have to be bent

Remember last year when SP mother ( sadly ) died and he could not attend the funerial,  law for the Royals and law for the rest of us

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56709506

that gives you the specifics for this family, but we know 2 people who have been back in the UK in the last months for funerals, and it has worked exactly as the BBC reports. 

The rules have changed for the better funeral-wise I think - SP's situation was awful. If at all possible people should be able to gather for a funeral - we do them for good reasons.

Thanks for that, maybe you can help me even further.

the BBC article says 

"Guidance on holding a funeral in England - during lockdown - says that mourners who have come from abroad can leave their place of quarantine "in limited circumstances, including on compassionate grounds".

This includes "attending a funeral of a household member, a close family member or a friend".

Which I think comes from 

This looks like a sloppy bit of work from the BBC at the moment, and I think he is getting special rule breaking powers because he is a Royal, that SP and everyone else cannot get.

Looks like the BBC are using the general rules for self isolation

given here  COVID-19: guidance for arranging or attending a funeral during the coronavirus pandemic - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

where people can attend a funeral if you were living in the UK and been told to self isolate

But this is not the case for prince harry, he is coming from aboard, and should follow the stronger rules, as given below, us plebs will have to follow them, but not the Royals

while the UK government website says

from    How to quarantine when you arrive in England - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

says 

Capture.JPG.90ba2e515f0f504e588d47b7870a

I could not find limited circumstances, in the UK GOV page at all, so I quoted the above.

As you can see exceptional circumstances, do not actually list a funerial, it talks more about medical emergencies , lets face it this is a funerial, an every day event, if it was not the Royals.

I would be interested if you or anyone ( I have looked ) else can find this limited circumstance on a government web page or exception for funerals

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1422102/Prince-Philip-dead-Duke-of-Edinburgh-Labour-councillor-Sarah-Morton-Liverpool

I know it’s the Daily  Express.

But this utterance is why many normal folk won’t vote Labour now. 
( I would have.. probably did ..Yes : DID ) say the same crap in my youth.)

This particular idiot has no idea what Fascism is/was and didn’t fight in the Second World War.

( Nor did I )

Shirley Williams and her mother, Vera Brittain, were formidable women.

Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth should be compulsory reading on every school curriculum.

14 hours ago, yesterday said:

Thanks for that, maybe you can help me even further.

Just that 2 other people I know have entered the UK and done that exact thing, so it is certainly not a special thing for the Royal family - he is even lower risk because the whole shebang will be happening within the family compound, which most of us couldn't claim. 

Last summer when the red list suddenly affected those of us using the ferry, my other half phoned the home office helpline to ask if visiting his dying s-i-l would be OK, and they were fine with that. They also stated quite clearly that no matter how you got from here to there by car, the handing of your passport to a local on the continental side meant that you had to do quarantine. At the same time, the British Embassy in Paris gave direction that it was A OK to use the chunnel if you stayed in the car and didn't use the whizzers on board.

So there is no really clear direction on much of this stuff anyway. Certainly Harry's case is not really interestingly edgy. 

Bernie Madoff, who swindled thousands out of millions, has died in prison

Jim Steinmann....   :(