Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Donald Rumsfeld, American politician, government official, and businessman

1,865 posts in this topic

Number 66 at least shows some insight!!

66. “I have never been noticeably reticent about talking on subjects about which I know nothing.” To a group of industrialists in 1961

15 hours ago, hooperski said:

Honest you say, well that's one way of putting it. Here are some of his "honest" comments;

Some of those are real zingers, lol. Still an entitled prick, but ironic that the "king" is also the court jester, ready with quips not otherwise permitted. Someone should place a pair of pointy jangly shoes on his memorial. 

15 hours ago, silty1 said:

Having lived in Hong Kong, can confirm

In fact, it sounds a lot like a saying that wider China has about Canton/Guangdong. Definitely not an original King Philly quip.

1 hour ago, Feierabend said:

Number 66 at least shows some insight!!

66. “I have never been noticeably reticent about talking on subjects about which I know nothing.” To a group of industrialists in 1961

This makes me think of Brexiteers like Mark Francois and John Redwood 😂

Stolen from a tweet:

Two pieces Daily Mail columnists can have ready to go right now: 

1. Why Meghan Markle’s presence at the funeral is an insult, designed to overshadow a somber occasion. 

2. Why Meghan Markle’s absence from the funeral, is an insult, designed to overshadow a somber occasion.

47 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Stolen from a tweet:

Two pieces Daily Mail columnists can have ready to go right now: 

1. Why Meghan Markle’s presence at the funeral is an insult, designed to overshadow a somber occasion. 

2. Why Meghan Markle’s absence from the funeral, is an insult, designed to overshadow a somber occasion.

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the wording to 'would be an insult ' and print the two at the same time.

It's why I question the critical abilities of anyone who believes what they read on the mail online advertising website or it's little sister paper.

I heard an interview of him speaking in German.  Although he struggled to find words on a couple of occasions, his pronounciation was topnotch. In fact, a lot better than many of us I'd imagine, although his mother would have been fluent in the language.  

I think he also did alot to help Anglo-German relations in the difficult period after the war.  I notice that Bundespresident Steinmaier gave that a mention. That's another Brit gone who would have been good for building positive relationships in Europe, unlike the lot we've got in Downing Street now. 

My kids nearly expired laughing at 67 - the Reichskanzler one. 

I guess back when he was at school at Schloss Salem that was the term used...

21 hours ago, hooperski said:

18. “Yak, yak, yak; come on get a move on,” To the Queen from the deck of Britannia in 1994. Her Majesty was talking to her hosts.

The only quote that would make me consider him a normal married man as this sort of thing was so often said by my dad to my mum.

The rest of them although often funny shows me that privilege let him get away with stuff normal people would not get away with.

I feel sorry for the Queen and his kids but that´s about as far as my sympathy goes.

If he had died 20 years ago I think reactions would have been very different - the reaction to his crass and unthinking bluntness has somehow morphed into 'foul Grandad, what can you do, ha ha, what a National treasure' :o. Did he sort of replace the Queen Mum?

To be fair to him, the perhaps 3 people I know a bit who knew him a bit are very positive about him so perhaps behind the astoundingly un PC exterior lay a nice man.

I am a bit gobsmacked because I rather assumed they were immortal. 

1 minute ago, kiplette said:

II am a bit gobsmacked because I rather assumed they were immortal. 

To be fair, Adrenochrome has its limits.

What gushing bilge they are dredging up now Phil is gone. Could not watch the offering on last night's BBC. Desperate for a few posh voices to say what a jolly funny lad he was, they had to roll out an ageing Penelope To the Manor Born Keith from the stables. Blimey. Dimbleby was sorely lacking. And those references they made to Phil's artistic prowess had faint echos of Adolf. I had to switch off. Lillibet will be next and then all hell will be let loose. I really think they misjudge the climate and public appetite for this sort of stuff these days. Harry is going to have to rock up solo just to tell them it is 2021 and not 1961. They do not seem to have noticed. Nobody remember those reports in the gutter press in the 70s about what he was up to ? Hint: the Queen Mum hated him. Barely on speaking terms apparently.

I think some posters on Toytown would be happy with just one bullet  through my head and Tema erledigt!😂

and how is harry going to get to London, by next Thursday, with a self isolation time, Or are the rules going to be broken, just for the Royals

30 minutes ago, yesterday said:

and how is harry going to get to London, by next Thursday, with a self isolation time, Or are the rules going to be broken, just for the Royals

- apparently he went in to isolation early, and will fly with a private jet... or so it said on the news yesterday...

3 hours ago, optimista said:

What gushing bilge they are dredging up now Phil is gone.

I guess they didn't watch The Crown.