Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Rick Jones, Fingerbobs presenter

1,915 posts in this topic

Rocker Michael Stanley dead at 72

Legendary Cleveland singer-songwriter and radio personality Michael Stanley died Friday at the age of 72, following a months-long fight with lung cancer.

On March 3, 2021, Stanley's family issued a statement on his behalf to let fans know why hadn’t been appearing in his usual 3-7 p.m. slot on 98.5 WNCX. Stanley’s last day on the air was on Feb. 19.

"Michael battled lung cancer for seven months with the same strength and dignity he carried throughout his life. He will always be remembered as a loving father, brother, husband, a loyal friend, and the leader of one of Cleveland's most successful rock bands," 98.5 WNCX said.

Stanley, a Cleveland native, recorded several memorable hits, such as "My Town” and “He Can’t Love You,” over the course of several decades. In all, Stanley recorded more than 18 albums and gave hundreds of concert performances.

In the 1970s and 80s, Stanley toured with some of the biggest names in music, such as Foreigner, The Eagles, Bruce Springsteen, and The Doobie Brothers. He also worked with Joe Walsh, Todd Rundgren and David Sanborn.

Lou Ottens has died at the age of 94 in The Netherlands.

He invented the cassette tape. 

Murray Walker: commentating like his trousers were on fire:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.he-brought-the-sport-to-life-the-great-murray-walker-remembered.7Jq073gwrkIHuuWhb9tbiB.html

I felt quite sad when I read this last night, although making it to 97 after the kind of life he'd lead isn't bad going. I discovered Formula 1 as a teenager in the 80s, and of course back then it was Murray and James Hunt on Grand Prix often buried at midnight on BBC2. I read his autobiography, written after he'd retired in 2001. The amazing thing is that he had a full career in advertising whilst doing motor racing commentary at the weekend, "retired" at 60 to start a second full time career as a commentator for which he became world-renowned and almost a bigger star than the real stars.

R.I.P. Murray Walker.  Although mainly known for his second career as a car racing commentator he was a keen motorcyclist (his father was a very famous motorcycle racer).  At one time Murray kept an orange BMW R90s at his London midweek home and an identical bike at his weekend home.  I remember a television program many years ago when the panel were invited to speculate on the future of the motor car.  Murry's contribution was simple: "a motorcycle".  I also remember when he and a travelling companion were stopped for speeding, on their bikes, in Italy,  This was long before credit cards became common and, of course, long before the single currency.  He and his companion were staying at a hotel over the border in Menton (I can't remember whether that's in in France or Monaco) and had left most of their documentation in  the hotel.  Anyway, they had real communication problems and much trouble in persuading the police to let them on their way.  Murray dined out on the story for years!

Murray Walker, what an absolute legend.  A voice that makes me remember my childhood.

But what I certainly don't remember is:

34 minutes ago, Mackle said:

Murray Walker, what an absolute legend.  A voice that makes me remember my childhood.

But what I certainly don't remember is:

A true talent, able to make watching men drive around in circles for hours entertaining..

"On that alluringly teutonic bombshell" - I think that was what Clarkson said.

I used to go to the Nürburgring every year and you'd often see her around. Far too young.

On 17/03/2021, 20:48:26, Dembo said:

"On that alluringly teutonic bombshell" - I think that was what Clarkson said.

I used to go to the Nürburgring every year and you'd often see her around. Far too young.

She always seemed to be laughing and smiling, came across as a really genuine person.

And that Top Gear feature of her driving the Ford Transit around the 'ring overtaking motorbikes was amazing

George Segal died on Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at age 87 due to complications from coronary bypass surgery.  Segal worked as an actor for over 60 years.  I recall seeing him in older movies on the TCM channel (Turner Classic Movies).  Three that come to mind are “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf” with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton” from 1966 (really worth seeing if one enjoys classic films). Owl and Pussycat” from 1970 with Barbra Streisand and “King Rat”, a 1965 film about a WWII POW camp.  I watched his more recent TV shows “Just Shoot Me” from the late 1990s and also “The Goldbergs” which currently still is in production.  I’m not sure if he would be considered an actor of international note, but his breadth of work and longevity are significant in US film and television.  He was an actor who I always enjoyed even when he was just a guest on The Johnny Carson Show doing comedy routines and playing his banjo.  RIP.

Jessica Walter, age 80, died on Wednesday, March 24, 2021.  Walter was another actor who had a career that spanned over 60 years.  She was most recently seen on the television show “Arrested Development” as the matriarch Lucille Bluth and heard as a voice on the animated television show “Archer”.  I only saw a few episodes of “Arrested Development”.   But it was a very well written and well acted show, and very hilarious at times. I should see if it’s streaming anywhere...

RIP

Didn`t know here from Arrested Development but love her as Mallory Archer.

She had the perfect voice for the bitchy mother who was also the head of a spy agency.

Apparently sometimes she didn`t know what some of the stuff she said as Mallory meant because it is an adult show and she grew up in a different era.

In spite of having a spate of children, I didn't come to Beverly Cleary until the mid-80s, when Fuenfling found a mouse in our house and I bought him Cleary's book, The Mouse and His Motorcycle. Her children's fiction immediately hooked me - the Ramona books are darling, especially Ramona and her Father - and Cleary's own 2-volume autobiography is a very worthwhile read.

I remember my 3rd grade teacher reading us The Mouse and the Motorcycle. Though I don't remember much of the story, I do remember loving it. That book must have been what got me started on Cleary's books, as I read many more.

104!  I remember reading her books when I was younger and assuming she was someone who'd already passed away years before I was even born, like Enid Blyton.

G. Gordon Liddy, age 90, died March 29, 2021.  Liddy was known for being the mastemind behind the watergate scandal that led to the only resignation of a US president.