Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Rick Jones, Fingerbobs presenter

1,915 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

IMO the X1 flight was the least of his accomplishments.

I liked the fact that he was taken for a ride in an F-15 65 years later.  A plane that effortless "breaks" the sound barrier - as did Concorde (for the masses - well relatively).

1 hour ago, HEM said:

I liked the fact that he was taken for a ride in an F-15 65 years later.  A plane that effortless "breaks" the sound barrier - as did Concorde (for the masses - well relatively).

Yeager flew an experimental plane that crashed and killed him -except he said, “ Standby - it is a bit difficult to handle.”

Yeager, Alan Shepard, John Glenn, Neil Armstrong, Gus Grissom - we will not see people like that again.

Well NASA wants to goto the moon in 2026, if biden funds it

Elon want MARS in a similar time scale

Great things were done in those days then the space shuttle came and deep space or even or solar system  was put on hold.

2 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Well NASA wants to goto the moon in 2026, if biden funds it

Elon want MARS in a similar time scale

Great things were done in those days then the space shuttle came and deep space or even or solar system  was put on hold.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the Challenger blew up.  That was the end of the Space Age.

8 minutes ago, yesterday said:

The concorde would out speed and accelerate an F-15 while sipping champagne and have a meal - but then the Lightning ( from the 60;s) could out perform both without  sipping champagne and have a meal.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DdUwIhI-ZA

I don't think the performance of the Concorde exceeds the F-15.  I have experience in and around modern fighters, and the performance of the F-15 exceeds the Concorde...although the food and inflight service were likely better on the Concorde.

The F-15 has a thrust to weight ratio of 1.07, which means it can accelerate in a vertical climb before leveling out at maximum airspeed of Mach 2.5.  The Concorde has a thrust to weight ratio of 0.373, which means it needs a lot of afterburner time to reach it's maximum air speed of Mach 2.04.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

ok maybe the video was not correct or an early version of the F-15

rInterested in your view

I rode the back seat of a Mig fighter once.  Straight up to infinity, at near MACH speed.  It was quite the experience.

16 hours ago, yesterday said:

ok maybe the video was not correct or an early version of the F-15

Interested in your view

In my opinion, any comparison of intercept aircraft to commercial passenger or high altitude surveillance aircraft is an apples to oranges comparison.  I can certainly out accelerate my wife's Mustang with my Ranger 4WD, for the first few seconds.  After that, I watch the Mustang's tail lights fade in the distance ahead of me.  However, I can put 1,000KG of stuff in the back of my truck for one haul, while moving the same amount of material in the Mustang will take many trips.  Apple, meet orange.

While the video is interesting, the narrator describes only one aircraft, from the family of Lightnings, that was able to exceed 80K feet.  Maybe that airframe was the special one where all of the tolerances were perfect.  I would have been impressed if the intercepted U2 had been boxed in by a squadron of Lightnings.

Paulo Rossi! Too young but a great World Cup and lots more.

Dame Barbara Windsor, actress aged 83 :(

Barbara appeared in most of the 'Carry On' films, she also played Peggy Mitchell in the BBC soap, East Enders.

I own 3 books by John Le Carre: The Russia House, Our Game and Telephone for the Death. Great spy author.