Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Joey Jordison Slipknot Drummer. Dusty Hill ZZ Top Bassist.

1,867 posts in this topic

He was a truly great footballer who showed millions what the game is about.

Being good, being great and if needed, cheat to win because in the sport, winning is all it is about.

15 hours ago, cb6dba said:

if needed, cheat to win because in the sport, winning is all it is about.

Was always brought up to believe that if you cheat at anything, you're only cheating yourself.  Then grew up and was told die Ehrlichen sind die Dummen.

Maradona was a wizard with the ball and brought joy to billions if the huge crowds lined up outside to pay respects before his coffin today are any indication, but for all-round class act, I'll stick with Pele. 

3 hours ago, silty1 said:

Was always brought up to believe that if you cheat at anything, you're only cheating yourself.  Then grew up and was told die Ehrlichen sind die Dummen.

Maradona was a wizard with the ball and brought joy to billions if the huge crowds lined up outside to pay respects before his coffin today are any indication, but for all-round class act, I'll stick with Pele. 

In a way, Maradona highlights the grey area of cheating and success.

He was one of the best footballers around, he was so good that it still out him in the top of his profession when his health as failing and he was faced with younger and fitter opposition.

Having said that, for all he's done, for parts of the world he will always be known for that handball, the time he cheated (at least cheated obviously).

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

Having said that, for all he's done, for parts of the world he will always be known for that handball, the time he cheated (at least cheated obviously).

Just in England, rest of the world have long forgotten it and frankly very few people actually care.

You hand the ball or you dive for a penalty, whats the difference?

6 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Who could forget the English attempt at the "Hand of God". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsY61WPEzY

Difference is he got sent off and didn’t have an effect on a World Cup game watched by the whole world.

But Maradona was a truly brilliant footballer- one of the finest ever and a hero in his country.

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

Difference is he got sent off and didn’t have an effect on a World Cup game watched by the whole world.

So cheating is only cheating if it watched by the whole world?

No, cheating is cheating and happens in all sports.

You wrote „ who could forget the English attempt at the Hand of God?“ 

The only difference is most football fans around the globe don‘t know that game with Scholes but all football folklore everywhere remembers Maradona‘s Hand of God. 
Cheating is wrong but hardly any sports person  has a perfectly ethical career.

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

No, cheating is cheating and happens in all sports.

You wrote „ who could forget the English attempt at the Hand of God?“ 

The only difference is most football fans around the globe don‘t know that game with Scholes but all football folklore everywhere remembers Maradona‘s Hand of God. 

So what? How many English players would have gone up to the referee and said sorry but I handed it in.

How many players who blatantly dive go up to the referee and say sorry ref I want touched.

None! But you are missing the point - it is famous in world football history and that is why people remember it.

I bet the Hand of God moment has been all over the social media in Argentina since yesterday. 👍🏼🙏🏻

It was highly political at the time- coming not long after THAT conflict in the South Atlantic... Maradona himself said it was a moment of revenge...

Anyway, enough of this for me.

He was a great footballer and a flamboyant, flawed human who had a remarkable talent so RIP🙏🏻

17 minutes ago, john g. said:

None! But you are missing the point - it is famous in world football history and that is why people remember it.

I bet the Hand of God moment has been all over the social media in Argentina since yesterday. 👍🏼🙏🏻

It has been removed from all social media world wide apart from England.

You and cb6 really seem to believe that Maradonna introduced cheating into football.

50 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You and cb6 really seem to believe that Maradonna introduced cheating into football.

Did I really say that?
Wow, it's amazing what you can say without saying it.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

I have never said that! Read my previous comments🙏🏻
What has been removed from all social media worldwide apart from England?

Diego received a state funeral today. Thousands of fans were queuing outside for the presidential palace to show their respect. He will be buried next to his parents. The mayor of Napels wants to rename the stadion to Maradona-stadion.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

This is what you wrote.

3 hours ago, cb6dba said:

This is what you said.

I remember him for his brilliance, since you are English I assume you can only remember him as being a cheat.

If the only thing you remember about Maradona is the hand of god then you are indeed are a sad individual.

That was not my point! You wrote about Scholes and I made the point that the „ fame „ of the Hand of God goal was different because everybody knows it and nobody knows about Scholes and that Man Utd game.

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

That was not my point! You wrote about Scholes and I made the point that the „ fame „ of the Hand of God goal was different because everybody knows it and nobody knows about Scholes and that Man Utd game.

So you justify cheating because no one knows about it?

Your posts are getting ridiculous by the minute.

If you look at the video, a Man Utd player went up to congratulate him.

I am not justifying cheating- you are misunderstanding me. Read my comments🙏🏻

1 hour ago, john g. said:

How would you read this comment?