Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Sir Clive Sinclair British home computing pioneer

1,903 posts in this topic

Eest in Peace Alex Trebbek. i realy love game shows so it is very sad for me to see a game show host go.

5 minutes ago, Magmax said:

Yea i did know that John- I learnec that from you..

🙏🏻
And I learnt that from my Spanish wife, who also told me Spanish TV ( in the Franco period and this must have gone on later..) even „ dubbed „ telephone calls. As an example, she told me old British detective/ police series with the recognisable British phone ringing sound „ brrr brrr „ was changed to the Spanish phone ringing sound! 
😂

Alex Trebek passing is sad. Pancreatic cancer is usually a quick killer as it tends to only show itself once it's too late. Trebek lived about 2 more years after his diagnosis, and 80 is a plum age, so he did defy odds. 

Before I moved here, I watched Jeopardy almost religiously for years, since I was a kid. I once applied to go on and made it past the first hurdle. Successful high school and pub quiz teams, too... Don't know why but I have a good memory for endless bits of useless info... Nobody likes a know-it-all, but Jeopardy was 20 minutes to let loose from the couch without cut eye from everyone else. Trebek was therefore was -- not an idol -- but, a low-key sort of legend. 

Respect and RIP.

And I feel I can weigh in on the "don't talk ill of the dead" conversation.

1st point - Why?  I mean, what's the difference? It's never made any sense to me that people say this.

2nd point - for people who think it's different if someone (they think is) universally disliked dies, like Trump, how is that any different?  I mean, explain to me like I'm 7 exactly why it's ok to talk ill of dead person A because you believe they are evil and not dead person B because you don't, surely that's just subjective, arbitrary and silly, the rule has to apply to everybody or nobody -  in death we are all truly equal.

3rd point - they don't care, they are dead, in fact one may argue that someone being dead is the best time to talk shit about them, since they will never be negatively affected by it.

I'm pretty sure that this courtesy was thought of a long time ago where we lived in small communities and talking ill of the dead was seen as likely to upset loved ones.  In this day and age it's just not the case anymore, when famous people die we don't know their loved ones and they are very unlikely to see or hear anything we say.

2 hours ago, DaringD said:

I'm pretty sure that this courtesy was thought of a long time ago where we lived in small communities and talking ill of the dead was seen as likely to upset loved ones.  In this day and age it's just not the case anymore, when famous people die we don't know their loved ones and they are very unlikely to see or hear anything we say.

Sparta, 600BC (thanks Wiki):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_mortuis_nil_nisi_bonum

I suppose it's a universal truism - the dead cannot defend themselves irrespective of their social standing. 

I think maybe for the ancient Greeks and Romans, it was up to the Gods to judge people, not mere mortals. 

2 hours ago, HEM said:

Those living in the UK in the late 1970s will recall the saga.

And those who saw any TV programme/film about him and the crimes. Several were made.

I know about a somewhat similar practiice in Italian tv . When a character in American or Brittsh tv show has a  Italian accent all voices are dubbed in Italian standrd language but the one who is Italian is Dubbed in southern Napoletano dialect so he woul Soundf diferently than the rest.

4 hours ago, HEM said:

If we extend this to include notorious folk:  Peter Sutcliffe dubbed the Yorkshire Ripper by the press.

Those living in the UK in the late 1970s will recall the saga.

I remember it well. He will not be missed on this planet. A danger to women. 

On 13/11/2020, 14:49:43, yesterday said:

He could not have died soon enough 

now now, you shouldn't talk ill of the dead.

On 15/11/2020, 10:58:04, Wulfrun said:

Entertainer Des O'Connor has died, aged 88

RIP

I always thought he had already died, then I realised I was thinking of Bob Monkhouse, I always got them mixed up as a kid too.