Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Sir Clive Sinclair British home computing pioneer

1,903 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Techsmex said:

Boils down to respect for the dead.  "nil nisi bonum".  Not appropriate to speak ill of the dead.

In Dutch the say is "over de doden niets dan goed", that means only good about the death. Connery is not even buried yet, so it's disrespectful to speak bad about him. 

Well, Sir Sean Connery has sure raised a stink for dying.  I hope he's transcended successfully to wherever it is we go after life.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

So if Trump dropped dead tonight, we should all come here and sign his praises?

No... but i could probably say he died better than the others!

Knock, knock…

Who’s there ?

Dishes…

Dishes who?

Dishes the ghost of Sean Connery!

We need to cheer up - Sir Sean is in a better place, one that looks an awful lot like Scotland - and he can remember all the good times.

10 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Not sure if this has been posted but it brought me comfort -

:huh: Which part of it specifically? 

21 hours ago, katheliz said:

I think it would be best to maintain a dignified silence. But I might smile. A lot.

On the other hand, since we're talking about Trump's death, I might honor the 'say nothing but good of the dead' advice and simply say, 'Good.'

On Kabel Eins they started a Connery marathon today: Indiana Jones, The Hunt for Red October, Outlander, Highlander. Goldfinger on RTL Nitro and The Rock on SRF II.

Stephen Fry has led the tributes to "lovable and loving" actor and comedian John Sessions, who has died aged 67.

Sessions was best known as a panellist on 1980s and 90s improvisation TV/radio show Whose Line Is It Anyway?, and for Stella Street, Spitting Image and QI.

His acting credits included TV dramas Porterhouse Blue and Victoria, and Kenneth Branagh's 1989 film of Henry V.

Fry described him as "warm, vulnerable, lovable and loving as anyone can be", with "so, so much talent".

The actor, comedian and author wrote on Twitter: "He could make me laugh until I was sick and dizzy with pleasure and exhaustion."

Sessions appeared on the first ever episode of QI, and the team behind the panel show said: "His incredible wit and encyclopaedic knowledge played a huge part in the show's history and everyone at QI is deeply saddened to learn of his passing."

The Ayrshire-born star died from a heart condition, his agent said.

https://news.yahoo.com/john-sessions-comedian-dies-age-133251491.html

Sad to see Geoffrey Palmer die.

He will be mostly remembered for Butterflies and Perrin but I absolutely loved fairly secret army,he was so damn perfect in this role.

On 11/6/2020, 7:54:26, lunaCH said:

He was also in an episode of Fawlty Towers and later again with John Cleese in the film Clockwise. 

Palmer notched up over 190 different TV programme and film credits in a career that spanned 8 decades. :) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-54844866

Ah yes.. he was the doctor in one of the Fawlty Town episodes who got fed up of waiting for his breakfast and went into the kitchen to fry his own sausages! „ I‘m a doctor and I want my sausages!“😂

Edit: have just found it!

https://youtu.be/PUaYuVScT04

Rest In Peace Geofrey Palmer.  He  had a good role in Golden Eye where he played a dpllomat saying  to a Russian Oficer "cant yoi people keep anything locked"

They don‘t! Did you know the Spanish TV showed the series and Manuel was... Italian!!?😂

Sensitive...

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

They don‘t! Did you know the Spanish TV showed the series and Manuel was... Italian!!?😂

Sensitive...

Yes I'd read that actually, back when I decided to get the box set to watch with partner, who is Spanish and found the series absolutely hilarious !!! 

The outtakes are a treat too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu1CAEiGEQg

Inter-counties basket weaving !! :lol: