Obituary thread of notable and obscure folk: Spencer Davis, musician, 81

1,509 posts in this topic

Eddie revealed in an interview that he had never been able to read music;[10] instead, he learned from watching and listening. For example, during recitals of Bach or Mozart, he would improvise. From 1964 through 1967, he won first place in the annual piano competition held at Long Beach City College.[9] Afterward, the judges would comment that he had an interesting interpretation of the classical piece. His view was, "What? I thought I was playing it correctly!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Van_Halen

RIP

Ferrell starred in 1978's Heartland, with Rip Torn, a story based in fact on three years in the life of a widow who travels to Wyoming in 1910 to work as a housekeeper for a Scottish immigrant. Their ranch life on an isolated homestead is depicted unsparingly. Excellent acting, as would be expected.

Mac Davis, American country songwriter, singer and actor died on September 28, 2020 at age 78.  My sister mentioned this to me and eventually I made it to Toytown to see if this was mentioned here.  I can’t say that I know much about country music, but as it happens Davis was a songwriter and his work frequently was performed by other artists.  The one song that stands out is “In the Ghetto” performed by Elvis Presley.  There are other example, but too numerous to mention.  Mac Davis sort of reminds me of Leon Russell in that one doesn’t realize how large their writing credits are because the songs were made famous by other singers.

Spencer Davis, founder of The Spencer Davis Group, has died, aged 81

A local lad from Brum

Steve Winwood on the passing of Spencer Davis:

“I’ve known Spencer since I was about 13–he would have been about 22. I was playing a show at Birmingham University with my brother and his band. Spencer, who was a student at Birmingham, was playing with a small group of musicians. We met and the the seeds of The Spencer Davis Group were sown.

Spencer was an early pioneer of the British folk scene, which, in his case embraced folk blues, and eventually what was then called “Rhythm and Blues”. He influenced my tastes in music, he owned the first 12-string guitar I ever saw, and he was taken with the music of Huddie “Lead belly” Ledbetter, and Big Bill Broonzy. I’d already got a big brother who influenced me greatly, and Spencer became like a big brother to me at the time.

He was definitely a man with a vision, and one of the pioneers of the British invasion of America in the sixties. I never went to the U.S. with Spencer, but he later embraced America, and America embraced him.

I feel that he was influential in setting me on the road to becoming a professional musician, and I thank him for that.
Thank you, Spencer.”

- Steve Winwood