Obituary thread of notable and obscure folk: Joseph Lowery, C.T. Vivian, John Lewis - civil-rights activists

1,473 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, katheliz said:

Carl Reiner - one of the grand old men. RIP

R I P

Jack Charlton, former English football player has died, aged 85.

He was a member of the 1966 World Cup winning England team.

R I P

Actress Kelly Preston has died at age 57 from breast cancer.  She was married to John Travolta.  Rest in peace.

Three recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom have died this year; one on 27 March, two of them on 17 July. All received their medals from President Barack Obama: Joseph Echols Lowery, C.T. Vivian, and John Lewis. They fought the good fight for racial equality in the US, marching with Martin Luther King and often facing beatings from peace officers. Ultimately, Lewis served as a US Congressman from Georgia for many years; Lowery and Vivian were both ministers in the Methodist Church.

Three recents passings:

-Charlie Daniels, US country singer, songwriter died on July 6, 2020 at age 83.  He was best known for the song “The devil went down to Georgia”.

-Regis Philbin, US morning talk show host died on July 24, 2020 at age 88.  He was around since the 1950s days of early television, but I only have memory in regard to the morning chat show and as a regular guest on Late Night with David Letterman.

-Peter Green, English singer, songwriter and guitarist from Fleetwood Mac died on July, 25, 2020 at age 73.

Here's @sarabyrd's tribute to Olivia de Havilland from Facebook.
Sara Whitney

I am raising a Weißbier to Olivia de Havilland (Dame Olivia Mary de Havilland), who died today at 104. She was so much more than Melly Wilkes [Gone With the Wind], although she is best remembered for that role. She was Maid Marian to Errol Flynn's Robin Hood, she was a frontier belle, a heroine in romantic dramas, an inmate of an insane asylum (as they were known in those days), a matriarch in North And South II, and a conniving rat bastard alongside Bette Davis, another stalwart actress who made the transition from the glamour of the 1930s to the character acting of the 1960s and 1970s.
Sister to Joan de Beauvoir de Havilland, better known as Joan Fontaine, their rivalry was a well-aired Hollywood scandal, prompting Joan Fontaine to say, "I married first, won the Oscar before Olivia did, and if I die first, she'll undoubtedly be livid because I beat her to it!"
Thank you for hanging around, Olivia. Watching you was better than a feast.Olivia De Havilland 100 Birthday: 'Gone With the Wind's' True ...

TV comedy director, Sydney Lotterby, has died aged 93

He directed such classics as Porridge, Last Of The Summer Wine and Yes Minister

From the BBC

On 5/11/2020, 11:31:36, Tap said:

John Hume, Northern Irish Politician.

One of the driving forces behind bringing peace to Northern Ireland. Probably the most influential Irish politician of the last 50 years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-44753271

History will be kind to Mr. Hume.

1 hour ago, pmd said:

History will be kind to Mr. Hume

As it should be. It beggars belief to me how lightly the Good Friday Agreement has been taken in all of the Brexit squabbles.