Obituary thread of notable and obscure folk: Jerry Stiller, 92

1,445 posts in this topic

Albert Uderzo: Asterix co-creator and illustrator dies aged 92

Albert Uderzo, who drew the Asterix comic books, has died at the age of 92.

He created the famous stories - about the adventures of Gaulish warriors fighting the Roman Empire - with his friend René Goscinny in 1959.

As well as illustrating the series, Urderzo took over the writing following Goscinny's death in 1977.

The books have sold 370 million copies worldwide, in dozens of languages, and several stories have been turned into cartoons and feature films.

The series continues to this day under new ownership, with the most recent book, Asterix and the Chieftain's Daughter, released last October.

"Albert Uderzo died in his sleep at his home in Neuilly, after a heart attack that was not linked to the coronavirus," his son-in-law Bernard de Choisy told the AFP news agency.

Asterix and Obelix creators- RIP.  

Have some in English and German.

Who can forget Asterix in Britain, and mint sauce?!

Or Obelix attempting to interrogate an uncooperative Egyptian?

Image result for images obelix interrogating egyptian

I wish I could find subsequent panels on line; I don't have a copy of the book here - Vierling copped them all.

Thank you, Albert Uderzo, for so much. We discovered Asterix and Obelix when we reached Germany in 1971. We bought the German copies and struggled through them as we learned the language: @sarabyrd was exposed to Latin through the Romans and the pirates, another language she learned to love. 
I hope Uderzo and Goscinny are sharing Wildschwein with the merry group of Gauls.

Manu Dibango, the pioneering Cameroonian jazz musician whose song “Soul Makossa” was interpolated in Michael Jackson’s hit “Wanna Be Starting Something,” died in Paris Tuesday after contracting Covid-19, according to The Guardian and multiple news outlets. He was 86.

Dibango was born in Douala, Cameroon in 1933 and attended school in France. There, he became a musician, becoming adept at piano, saxophone and the vibraphone while attending jazz concerts in Paris, where he saw Louis Armstrong, Count Basie and others. He became a professional musician and joined the group Africa Jazz, and returned to Paris in 1965. Over the years he fused his multiple influences into a sort of Afro-jazz-funk hybrid, which spawned an international hit in 1972 with “Soul Makossa,” which features an unforgettable sax line and his own spoken vocals.

The murmured line near the beginning of the song — “mama-say, mama-sa, ma-makossa” — was interpolated by Jackson on his 1983 hit “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’.” Dibango sued Jackson — the sole writer on the song, which was produced by the singer and Quincy Jones — over the uncredited interpolation and won in a 1986 court settlement that reports said was a flat fee of 1 million francs. Twenty one years later, Rihanna sampled that segment of Jackson’s song for her single “Don’t Stop the Music” and Dibango took them both to court, although his complaint was deemed inadmissible. Somewhat ironically, when Madonna paid tribute to Jackson at her first concert after his death in 2009, one of her dancers did a Jackson impersonation while her backing vocalists sang Dibango’s interpolated line.

Dibango enjoyed a long and fruitful career, collaborating with Fela Kuti, Herbie Hancock, Hugh Masekela and many others, and his music was sampled by multiple artists. He continued to record and tour into the present day, releasing his final album “Balade En Saxo” in 2013 and performing live as recently as last year.

Be sure to listen to the song at the end. It is awesome!

Eric Weissberg has died  from Alzheimer’s disease complications, he was 80.

He was the blue grass musician who arranged and played the 'Duelling Banjos' in the film Deliverance.

I was sad to read today that Curly Neal, the most talented and entertaining player on the Harlem Globetrotters from long ago has died.

I used to go see him when they were in town as a kid.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I was sad to read today that Curly Neal, the most talented and entertaining player on the Harlem Globetrotters from long ago has died.

I used to go see him when they were in town as a kid.

The Harlem Globetrotters used to come over to the UK and play exhibition games, I remember Curly Neal, RIP

My son just reminded me that he took me to see the Globetrotters play in Munich about 20 yrs. ago for my birthday when they were here and Curly was still with them. We bought tickets for my stepson's family to go see them some years later.

Sweet Georgia Brown

Singer Bill Withers dies at 81

Bill Withers, who wrote and sang a string of soulful songs in the 1970s that have stood the test of time, including “ Lean on Me, ” “Lovely Day” and “Ain’t No Sunshine,” has died from heart complications, his family said in a statement to The Associated Press. He was 81.

The three-time Grammy Award winner, who withdrew from making music in the mid-1980s, died on Monday in Los Angeles, the statement said. His death comes as the public has drawn inspiration from his music during the coronavirus pandemic, with health care workers, choirs, artists and more posting their own renditions on “Lean on Me” to help get through the difficult times.

https://apnews.com/e19138ee60f29a319e45bcfba3e39331