Obituary thread of notable or obscure folk: Edita Gruberova, Coloratura Soprano

1,916 posts in this topic

Brad Anderson, creator of the Marmaduke cartoons passed away on 30th August, aged 91

Brad who? 

What will we do when someone truly notable like, say, royalty kicks the bucket?

You folk need to update the title. That is the name of the game, and out of respect for the recent departed.

Ah, didn't see that as I've enlarged the page so that the posts are as wide as my screen and the words 'Edit this topic' no longer appear.

Howard Kendall, the former Everton F.C. player and manager, has died, aged 69...

RIP to one of the 20th century's great statesmen, Helmut Schmidt, who died today aged 96.

As the great man said: "One needs the will. And cigarettes"

The last of the great smokers is gone...

...but seriously, he was a truly great politician, economical expert, and elder statesman.

I loved his interviews, ever so slightly tinged with a hidden madcap vibe, sipping coffee, with cigarette smoke curling around him while he gently, intelligently, sarcastically dissected the current political landscape. No nonsense, no beating around the bush. No patience with political posturing. No dealing with lies. No interest in brown nosing. A single cutting remark would send a hapless or unprepared interviewer scurrying off.

But a prepared dialog partner would be treated to absolute gems of clarity, analysis, and insight.

Just like Dieter Hildebrandt, the political comedian, he was the last one of his generation, of his kind, the ones that rose from a tainted youth in the Nazi era - having been young followers of the regime, soldiers and officers, or even members of the NS Party - to see this authoritarian evilness for what it was, and to develop to genuine democrats, freethinkers and intellectuals.

I wish Helmut Schmidt would have had the time to use up his famous stash of menthol cigarettes.

Rest in peace, good sir.

What tragic news. In sports, there are names of great people that will stay in your memory for ever, Pele, Ali, Schumacher.

Jonah Lomu is one of those legends. A loss to rugby and mankind. R I P

Scott Weiland dead at 48

did not come as a surprise but still sad :-(

RIP Scott, really enjoyed the music. Hope you find peace in a better place.